'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How far will you go if your new horse isnt working

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-22 11:26 AM
25 replies, 7214 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-28 4:48 AM (#24423)
Subject: How far will you go if your new horse isnt working

Veteran

I am wondering as I have found myself in this postion. I got a new horse. He just will not get into a training mode. I belive I was mislead when I bought him. That makes it my fault. The trainer has recommended I cut my losses a while ago. But he makes just a little improvment each day. But by now most horses would be a lot further along than he is. So do I sink another 30 day in him or do I move on to a new horse while I can still get what he is worth. I dont want to get to where I have 5,000 dollars in a 1,500 doller horse. He has no medical problems etc. He just dosnt have any trust under saddle or any real feeling of self presevernce. Yes he is with a good trainer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-28 7:39 AM (#24425 - in reply to #24423)
Subject: RE: How far will you go if your new horse isnt working

Extreme Veteran

I have learned from having horses through the years that there are many more good ones out there and not worth being stressed out over one horse that is not working out. It sounds like your heart and your mind are not into this horse. Leave your heart out on this one and move on and find a horse that will work better for you. It is not worth the time and risk being with a horse you cannot develop a bond or working relationship with. Don't feel like you are cheating this horse or letting him down. Horses don't think like us compassionate humans do.(As much as the Black Beauty movie led us to believe!LOL!). Sounds like you need a horse that is going to make you feel safe and comfortable. Don't let this horse make you feel like you failed either. You haven't! Go for it and move on!

Edited by MIfarmbabe 2005-04-28 7:41 AM
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-28 9:31 AM (#24434 - in reply to #24423)

Elite Veteran

I really wouldn't stress the dollar amount, but time. If you need this horse right away, then I would probablaly sell. If not, I would keep her around. I had bought this filly when she was almost 2. She was the b*tch from hell!! She would go out of her way to run you down and kick you. You had to keep a halter on her at all times so you could quickly catch her and not give her a chance to strike out and kick you. When she was 2, I was pregnant and could do absolutely nothing with her because she was too dangerous. Just a lot of brushing, I couldn't even pick her feet. She didn't start her riding training until well into being 3. Before that she was just ponied by my hubby on trails. She just turned 5 and she has turned out to be a very good horse. She hasn't kicked in the last 2 years and I have put green kids on her on the trails. I think her issue was trusting people.

Like the other poster said, there are lots of good horses out there. And I believe that 99% of the horses out there can be good horses as long as the right person knows how to read the horse and figure out where the problem lies.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-28 5:12 PM (#24448 - in reply to #24434)

Extreme Veteran

Without knowing all the details, I would say that if you believe you have a good trainer and you trust him (I would think you would since you pay him) then listen to him and move on.   Your trainer seems to be mentally done with your horse anyway, you may just be wasting your money the longer he is there. I guarantee you that if the trainer thinks he is a waste of time, then your horse is doomed to failure with that trainer (self fulfilling prophecy). My rule is, if the trainer says move on, move on...or get another trainer and another opinion. 

Good luck

Edited by RichB 2005-04-28 5:14 PM
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-28 6:36 PM (#24452 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

I really trust my trainer. She is great.Since the horse is 5 I dont think age will help any. I think he just needs lots and lots of time. I do belive I was mislead at the time of purchuse. I wonder why the prior owner will not return call or emails. I am cutting my ties with this horse ASAP. I on the oter hand have located a nice little gelding that if he is half as good as the video should be awesome. I wish I had a horse half as good as my wifes. I guess I will just keep riding my ole ugly but reliable grade mare. she and I seem to be able to meet in the middle most of the time.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 1:33 AM (#24463 - in reply to #24452)

Elite Veteran

5 is still young. I bought a 4yr old last August (she is now 5), she was a bucking, shying maniac. In 8 months, she has become almost the perfect trail horse. But if your trainer and this horse don't click, you need to move on whether it be with a new horse or a new trainer, if you don't want to do the work yourself. This horse sounds really appealing to me. I like challenges. Too bad you live so far away from me.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 10:25 AM (#24480 - in reply to #24423)

Expert

To me, it depends on a few things.

Is the horse a great mover?

Does it have a great attitude and just hasn't been handled much or is it an alpha type?

Do you have the funds and time to wait for this horse to develop?

If you answer no to ANY of these questions, cut your losses now.  Life is to short!

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 12:37 PM (#24485 - in reply to #24423)

Expert

If you like/love your trainer save your money and bail on the horse.  Someone will have the time to invest to see if the animal calms down over time.  I can tell on a horse within a week usually, I rarely tell people to give them time unless it's an emmotional issue.  If the old owner isn't returning your calls, there's your sign...run!

I've known people that have sunk way too much money into crap horses, interestingly enough their trainer gets rich...wonder why?  Crap horses need constant work ='ing job security for the trainer.  You are less likely to take a crap horse home.  Good horses only need "tune-ups" then they go back home to be spoiled properly.

I have lost clients from telling them like it is about their crap horses.  I will take their money but won't lie to them about the future of the animal as a show horse or kid horse.  I would rather find what they need than constantly fight the same battles and make no progress towards a goal.  I've found some people like to be lied to...others value honesty and an eye on the pocketbook.

Your trainer is giving you advice, take it!  That's what she is there for!

It's like buying a car:  you can spend the money upfront a buy the car you want in good working order OR you can buy a junker cheap and spend tons of money keeping it running and fixing it up.  Point is it's cheaper in the long run to buy a horse that meets your needs at purchase!

Edited by huntseat 2005-04-29 12:42 PM
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-29 6:31 PM (#24501 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

I am cutting my losses. My wife would keep anyhorse.But I have to be the sensible one. I am going to start looking for him a good home. I hope to find one where there is a chance he can be developed.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 11:28 PM (#24520 - in reply to #24501)

Elite Veteran

Where exactly is Liberty Hill?

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-30 1:38 AM (#24522 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

just north west of Austin
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-01 6:58 PM (#24562 - in reply to #24423)

Regular

Well if you like your trainer take their word and sell the horse. Honestly with time this may be a good horse depending on what you are wantin out of it. I do not know if you show or just hack around. Either way if you are definitely selling him let me know. I am curious to meet him. I live in Killeen so if you decide to sell i would be more than willing to come take a look.  If you decide not to sell i would look into another trainer. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the trainer you have but she is apparently tired of workin with this horse or she would not advise you to sell it. Fact is sometimes one person may not be able to do squat with a particular horse while others can work wonders even though they do the same thing. ANyways good luck whatever you decide to do. Seriously though  if you are selling  here's my email i would love to know a lil more about him. Livelyblueyes@msn.com. Lol i want the good,bad and ugly about him..lol. Laters and once again goodluck

Rhiannon

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-03 6:31 AM (#24620 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

She is enjoying the challange. He just wont be what I want and need to show. He did well this weekend for the most part. We show localy. And Are starting to expand. She is taking her horse to the Paint ranch horse show this weekend. I will be hauling ice there also. I havent decided if I will sell him or just pull him out of training and ride him myself for a while.
In the mean time I will look for something else.
I can email you info if you want.
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-03 7:32 AM (#24621 - in reply to #24423)

Regular

Please do email me about him. I personally do not show. I just trail ride a bit. I just do not have the urge for the show ring...lol.Basicly like i said email me some more info on him. My husband  has claimed my mare from me so i need another horse of my own. Lol i'm telling ya its funny because he forbade me to buy her in the first place..lol. Anywho i doubt you feel like hearing my long winded story but i would surely love it if you were to email me should you decide to definitely sell.

Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-03 10:38 AM (#24635 - in reply to #24621)

Expert

Funny how that works isn't it?

Where do ya'll think would be the best place to sell an App?  I have been told that they don't sell very well down here and haven't seen very many.

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-03 6:46 PM (#24673 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

email sent.
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 8:59 AM (#24703 - in reply to #24423)

Regular

awesome i'll be waiting on it....I think i put the mail addy up right. ( but then again my msn has been acting a little funny..lol) Sometimes emails take a bit to get through ith all the filters and stuff. SHould you have any problems sending it there i also have a yahoo. Just post me if ya have any probs.
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 10:11 AM (#24708 - in reply to #24423)

Regular

Sometimes an unruley horse has been abused and has a preference to being handled by a woman or a man.  My filly does not like men she was abused by a groom at the breeders.  Hit in the head with a halter because she was afraid of him and was refussing to let him do it.  It split her forehead open.  That was before I owned her.  She was not trusting and supper head shy impossible at first to halter.  I just worked with her and now I can stick my fingers in her ears. 

I once bet a guy I could ride a mule that not one of the guys at my barn could ride without being thrown.  I had the skinny that the mule disliked guys and would buck them off everytime.  So I bet them I could and the little mule went long happy and never bulked or bucked.  Hummm...ya never no.  Some horse possibly do not take to women.  He might hate his saddle ( poor fitting ).  T

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-04 6:55 PM (#24729 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

I might have found a home for him. The lady seems to really like him. She is aware of all of his quirks. She is an accomplished rider. He will be better suited to the job she has for him than to the one I want him for. Still looking for a replacment.

lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-05-04 7:47 PM (#24731 - in reply to #24423)

Regular

Thats awesome!! I'm happy to hear that !!! Good stuff and best wishes.

Rhiannon

rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-11 10:52 PM (#25005 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

Well Instead of selling him at the stephenville sale since I was there for the paint show anyway. I waited for the gal that wanted him so bad ( she is a friend) So we rode him around at the show some and I hauled him home. Monday she has changed her mind again. So back to the trainer he is really improving but hasnt got the movement needed for ranch versitility. He will get clobbered in the ranch riding class. So I guess I will take pictures and make a video on tuesday and put him on the net.
He will make a great go all day trail horse.
foxmoorqhs
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 10:55 AM (#25018 - in reply to #25005)

There is a really neat site out there where you can place a picture ad for free.  You can add more pics for just $3 and you can even post a video stream ad for just $6.  After you get your video, you may want to consider the site for advertising.  I'm not a part of the site, altho I do have one horse listed on there.  Here's the link to it:

http://www.marketyourhorse.com

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 1:55 PM (#25021 - in reply to #25005)

Expert

There is also the Horse Gazette.  http://www.horsegazette.com/  free classifieds and I think you can post a picture for $5.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-12 6:18 PM (#25030 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

I will market him on the big 3 Dreamhorse equine and agdirect. I plan to spend a few bucks to find him a new good home as fast as possible.
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-05-18 10:48 PM (#25296 - in reply to #24423)

Veteran

Well I am glad I didnt sell him. He really acted up and hurt the trainer. Now I am sending him throught the sale as a cowboy and cold backed horse. We will let everyone know he has an anger issue and is strong willed. Bummer huh.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)