'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison VS Cherokee

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-29 8:28 PM
16 replies, 5920 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-26 4:31 PM (#24350)
Subject: Bison VS Cherokee

Regular

I have been faced with a decission and wondered what peple say about these trailers....

I was all ready to by a 2004 Cherokee with weekend package....then a dealer phoned and offered me a very good deal on a Bison (2004) Alumisport.

They look like decent trailers....but I did read a negative posting on a Bison...

Of course, I am sure that some folks have had bad experiences with either/or....but gosh...I am finally stepping up from a 1979 steel trailer, and am faced with this decission!

LOL **** like a kid in dreamland...

I would rather have an Exiss, but have to wait for the LQ to be installed... The Bison/Cherokees are ready to go!

Any preferences out there?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-26 5:48 PM (#24361 - in reply to #24350)
Subject: RE: Bison VS Cherokee

Extreme Veteran

Is the Cherokee all aluminum that you are contemplating? You realize the Alumasport is a steel framed/alumy skin trailer. They are both equal in width, 6'8" in the horse area from side to side. Their stall divider configurations/measurements may be similiar. What size horses are you going to be hauling? My 15'2" app gelding was cramped in an Alumasport I used to own. I now have an Exiss Event that is 7' wide in the horse area and it is roomier.Just something to consider and think about before signing away.

I  disliked the horse area width with the Cherokee and Alumasport. I did like my Alumasport but this time around went with all aluminum. The Cherokees are nice too. What kind of warranties do either one have? What trailer will be easier serviced to your dealer if problems arise?

Good luck with your decision. It is an exciting time when you can get the trailer you have always wanted but, don't be kicking yourself later. Been there, done that.

equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-26 6:00 PM (#24364 - in reply to #24350)

Regular

Thanks for the advice...I have discovered in looking at websites that the Bison is aluminum on steel..I have also heard that if the 2 meet, it can cause a rust problem. I am haulng QH's so I thought that the 6'8' would be ok...although the Exiss that I looked at is a full 7 ' width.
The Bison is an 8' short wall compared to the Cherokee (4 1/2') but it doesn't weigh any more...perhaps because of the fiberglass roof? One thing I did notice, the roof in the Bison and the walls are white...I wonder if this makes loading easier for some horses?
Anyway, I appreciate all comments..
Thanks again
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-26 8:09 PM (#24371 - in reply to #24350)

Veteran

A friend of mine has a '02 Bison and she loves it!! I love the fiberglas roof, it is really nice with the light compared to the conventinal roofs.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 8:10 PM (#24372 - in reply to #24350)

Elite Veteran

I have never owned a Cherokee, But I have and do own several Bisons. Look the fiberglass roof over carefully. If there is a seam above the LQ area it can spell disaster. Mine is being estimated right now for repair. Bison runs seams across the trailer and only USED caulk to seal the seam, which sucks. As the trailer movess the caulk becomes loose and it starts to leak. I will never again have a fiberglass roof unless it is one piece molded style like Trailet uses.
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-27 4:45 AM (#24383 - in reply to #24350)

Regular

Thanks very much for your advice,,,I will be checkng the roof seams for sure...
penall3
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-27 9:02 AM (#24385 - in reply to #24350)

New User

If I were you, I would take a look at the Logan Coaches before I went any further.  For the money, they are the very best that I could find.  They are roomy, well put together (single fiberglass top) they have a huge mid tack, living quarters that are great and the horse area is great!  Just a suggestion.  I have been looking for a very long time, I have quite a few friends that own them and love them and my next trailer will be one.  Quality bar none!!!  Look at #37721

Edited by penall3 2005-04-27 9:05 AM
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-27 10:12 AM (#24388 - in reply to #24350)

Veteran

I don't have any experience with Cherokee so can't help compare. I have a 2004 Bison and am very happy with it, however mine has an aluminum roof, not the fiberglass. Good luck with your decision!
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-27 3:51 PM (#24406 - in reply to #24350)

Elite Veteran

I love my Bison!
mugsy
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-27 3:57 PM (#24408 - in reply to #24350)

Cherokee is an all aluminum trailer with a tongue and grooved ALUMINUM PLANKED floor, it has 2" I-Beams 5" on center under that. This makes the trailer very strong, they have certified welders on board and when you look at the welds (which you should) you will notice it looks like a row of nickles one on top of the other, you will never get a aluminum burr in your finger when you run over the welds. We have been Cherokee dealers for 6 years and never have had a warranty issue. Look under the other trailers and examine closly how they are built, find if are the up rights C channel, angle iron or tubular. Don't be afraid to ask the dealers questions, or ask for the manufacturers number to get more detailed information before you make any decision. Good luck with your new trailer whatever you choose.
horsebuster1
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-27 7:34 PM (#24417 - in reply to #24350)

New User

I just bought a 01 Cherokee and love it, I looked at trailers for a long time, Exiss,Sundowner,Sooner,Bison you name it I looked at it. They are all good trailers but the Cherokee interior by Dream Catcher is so much better quality.Bison is cheaper but is aluminum on steel and Cherokee is all alumimun, and very well constructed, look at all the welds, they all look nice and correct. I haul big Quater Horses and they have room. Pulls great. I don't have anything bad to say about Cherokee. Take your time if you can and look at all the trailers and you will see a difference in quality. Hope this helps.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-28 11:53 AM (#24437 - in reply to #24350)

Expert

I had a steel framed/ aluminum skinned trailer. The issue with  the two metals touching and causing problems is way over blown and to me is a non- issue.

The only thing I don't like about Bison trailers are the fiberglass roofs. I'd want a one piece ally roof. I also prefer a all ally trailer over the combos- but thats  a personal perfernce.

I don't think there is a clear one is better than the other answer- you have to pick the trailer you can afford, that has what you need and maybe some stuff you'd want. You can't compair apples to oranges either.  Don't look at a 70k trailer then look at something alot less and think the less expensive trail is somehow inferior.

Trailermomma
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-28 3:10 PM (#24447 - in reply to #24361)

New User

Cherokee is only all aluminum!  That is by far your better choice.  I love mine......The service is great and they are always really friendly.
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-28 5:19 PM (#24449 - in reply to #24350)

Veteran

We owned a cherokee invasion for 4 years. no lq but we slept in the dessing room. we loved this trailer. it pulled great, the horses had plenty of room. If you could afford it i would try buying bigger lq. we looked at the weekend packages but it would have been too cramped, even though we usually just do the weekends and are only in it at night or because of the weather. good luck on your decision. we have friends that own a bison and love it but hubby insisted we buy all aluminum. Debbie
equigal
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-29 8:29 AM (#24473 - in reply to #24437)

Regular

I have chosen the Bison....and it does have an aluminum roof so hopefully will eliminate the issues with the fiberglass top.

I found the weekend package in the Cherokee a little lacking in storage space so went with the bigger LQ....

thanks for your comments...will let you know if I have any problems in the next few years....

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 6:02 PM (#24499 - in reply to #24350)

Elite Veteran

I  hope you like your Bison as much as I do.  I call it the "fourth bedroom".  Pulls great, and the horses ride well in it.  good luck

Nancy

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 8:28 PM (#24512 - in reply to #24350)

Extreme Veteran

Congrats to you Equigal! Glad to see you finally solved your dilemma! LOL!

Have fun "movin' in" to your second home!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)