'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
HELP! Seasoned traveler now scrambles in slant load

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-28 3:00 PM
19 replies, 5880 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

live2ride
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-25 12:23 PM (#24276)
Subject: HELP! Seasoned traveler now scrambles in slant load

Seasoned traveler now scrambles in slant load...

This past weekend I hauled my 5 year old mare about an hour away and halfway through the trip she started scrambling in my trailer when I would slow down and come to a stop. It did not matter how slowly I stopped. She was in the first stall against the dressing room wall and ended up tearing the mat at the bottom. It sounded like bowling balls rolling around the trailer. There was a horse next to her, but she is used to the horse and he never did anything to her. She scraped up her legs and hurt her back foot. She left marks way up the mats and against the back of her also. I have hauled her around in this trailer for a year and NEVER has had a problem. She has been in other slant trailers against the wall and has been hauled since she was a baby. She has stood great and seems to be happy with this trailer cause she loves to jump right in, even on her own when she is around it (hooked up of course). The trailer is always clean and does not have wasps or bees in it. She has bus windows all around her and I had her window open with the bars up so she does not stick her head out. Friend said to open it up completely and that might help, but I fear that she will get hit by a car or hurt her eyes. Going 55 with their head out scares me. I know that lots of people do it and don't have problems. Are there things I can do while driving to get her off that wall? I am scared to put her between horses now cause she might hurt them when she scrambles like that. If she is going that far up the wall then she is going to be on top of the horse next to her at a stop. I have a center divider between them, but their legs could get tangled. I drove around the subdivision slowly and came to slow stops to help her figure it out all over again, but that made her sweat and never helped. Has anyone had a horse do this all of a sudden in a slant load? I got ride of my 2 horse straight load due to my other horse did this in the straight load...what is wrong with my horses! I can't imagine this is something hereditary. I am so scared to haul her with other horses now and can't haul her in friends trailers do to her destroying something. I won't fix the mat until she figures it all out again.

HELP!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-25 1:21 PM (#24280 - in reply to #24276)
Subject: RE: HELP! Seasoned traveler now scrambles in slant load

Veteran

I HAVE A HORSE THAT BEATS UP THE DIVIDER WALL IN A SLANT LOAD TRAILER JUST LIKE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. MY TRAILER WAS A STEEL TRAILER AND HE BEAT THE BOTTOM 1' UP PRETTY BAD. I THINK HE STEPPED THAT DIRECTION IN A STOP TO BRACE HIMSELF AND CAME IN CONTACT WITH THE WALL. I QUIT PUTTING HIM IN THE FRONT STALL AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY MORE TROUBLE WITH HIM.
live2ride
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-25 1:48 PM (#24283 - in reply to #24276)

I forgot to mention that I do tie her due to she tends to play around to much with other horses, tries to turn, hits her head and seems to do fine tied.  I know some say not to tie?  Why all the sudden would the wall cause her not to balance?  There is enough room for her to spread her feet apart.  I am going to start hauling her in the end stall so she has room, but that is not always convenient when picking up other horses from time to time.  I would rather her learn to stand quietly everywhere she is in the trailer.  I think I might try it for a while and then put her back up there and see how she does.  Would love to know of other ideas or what people have tried and worked or not worked.  Please keep them coming.
tnmulerider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-25 2:11 PM (#24285 - in reply to #24276)

There is an article in the latest Western Horseman about scramblers.  I had an old mare that would do it in a straight load 2 horse trailer. I started hauling her in a stock trailer and let her turn backwards and she rode with no problems.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-26 12:45 AM (#24306 - in reply to #24276)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by live2ride on 2005-04-25 9:23 AM

Friend said to open it up completely and that might help, but I fear that she will get hit by a car or hurt her eyes. Going 55 with their head out scares me. I know that lots of people do it and don't have problems.

NEVER DO THIS!! IMO, horse people who do this have no right own horses. It is very cruel and dangerous. Not only can they lose an eye from debris. It can kill them if their head were to get hit by a tree or passing truck. Your horse is a scrambler. What if she is scrambling a loses her balance with her head sticking out the window? A big gash under her throat? Break her neck? I know these are extremes, but it is possible. I would never put an animal I love in that situation. Those other people who seem to never have any problems with it is because it hasn't happened yet. Sorry my post sounds so harsh, but it really gets my blood going when I see this.

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-26 8:56 AM (#24314 - in reply to #24276)

Veteran

I had a horse try to jump out an open drop down feed window on my Featherlite - and have the dents around the window to prove it .  We were loading, not hauling, but still it was scary!  I would never leave the drop down open, especially for a horse that is claustrophobic in the trailer.

Could an electrical short cause the horse to be shocked by the trailer?  I thought I read about that somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's possible...  Anyway, might be something to check (brakes, blinkers, etc).

One of my best trail riding horses paws in my nice enclosed trailer (but not in the junky open stock trailer).  He knocks the trailer around.  I sympathize with you, because it definitely raises my stress level to haul him anywhere.  I can't put in a feed manger because he gets his hoof caught and then destroys it getting himself loose (and this is a manger set nice and high).  Doesn't matter if he's hauled in the nice trailer loose or enclosed, he just doesn't appreciate it.

Happy Trails,

Michelle

gus
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 9:35 AM (#24317 - in reply to #24276)

Veteran

short in trailer could be?check for wasp nest in trailer something has changed if she just started
Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 10:00 AM (#24319 - in reply to #24276)

None of my horses scramble, but I have discovered that they all prefer the more open stock type trailers. Here I was thinking they would appretiate the nice, big, xtra tall but enclosed trailer. Turns out they all load and ride much calmer in either the old rattly stock trailer one trainer has, or the slant load with stocl slats on one side and drops on the other trainer has. So I am going for the stock/combo type trailer. And what do you know, they are cheaper too! Wish I would have gone that route from the beginning!!
live2ride
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 10:18 AM (#24323 - in reply to #24276)

Thanks for all the input.  I agree I don't want to haul with window wide open, scares me way to bad and I am sure people have had serious accidents.  I have checked for wasps or bees, nothing.  I did not think of a electrical short, but wouldn't the other horse feel that too.  He was fine and never was even bothered that she was scrambling.  I have run it all over and over in my mind and the only thing I can come up with is that the other horse did urinate in the trailer and I have not been using shavings or anything over the mats for bedding.  She never urinates in the trailer and most of the other horses we haul with don't either.  I am thinking it made the floor slippery and she could not keep her footing.  I cleaned it out when we got the destination and noticed he went and that with the hay on top it was slippery.  When we got home I was more concerned about her than cleaning so I did not pay attention.  When I went to clean it I noticed he did go again and the alfalfa that the lady fed him was very dusty and seemed to cause it to be even more slippery.  Do you think he might have been crowding her at all since he does ride with his head out his back legs would be spread closer to her than if he were all the way back and then would have to stand slanted so they would not interfere?  I need to give her a break and try and heal before hauling her again, but I am going to see in a short trip what she does.  I have a 2000 Sooner with mats up the walls and covers the whole floor and I always thought they were skid proof, but if wet I would think it could cause a problem.  Does everyone use shavings or nothing at all?  If she continues I am going to put them down and see what else I could do to help her brace herself.  I also thought it might have been weird for her cause I had just put up padding on the divider (don't know why Sooner did not), but she has been in trailers with padding so I would not think they would bother her.  Plus she started to do it half way thru the trip. The padding is just like most of the slant loads and is very secure with no exposed bolts or screws for her to get hurt on.  My husband hung them so they are hanging from the divider and nothing goes all the way through them.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-26 10:59 AM (#24326 - in reply to #24276)

Extreme Veteran

My husband's gelding scrambled alot in our old straight load, but since we got a slant load he quit. I have a mare who kicks wildly and I've actually quit trailering her due to this. Since your horse is a mare, is she in season? Mine seems to have a hormonal reaction to being in the trailer....Maybe she was put in stocks to be bred before I got her? Anyways, if your mare is being a "mare", I posted about this problem a while back and got some good responses. Good luck. It's scary to hear all that commotion while you're traveling down the road! I hope you figure this out.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-26 1:02 PM (#24339 - in reply to #24276)

Extreme Veteran

It sounds like you hit the nail on this one regarding the gelding peeing in the stall next to her and making things slick especially when you mention it started about halfway through the trip, usually when they go potty. I haul with shavings in the horse area for this reason, plus it absorbs the urine when they go and doesn't splash up on their legs. The smell may have been bothering your mare if she was/is in heat at the time. Mares are mares no less, I can relate to their moodiness and unpredictable nature. Hopefully next time you haul her she won't have bad memories. I would definately put some shavings down, some on here will disagree. You need to rule out the problem one thing at a time.

Good luck to you and your mare!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-26 4:36 PM (#24351 - in reply to #24276)

Expert

My gelding will pee in the trailer and my mares don't like it.  They get a bit "antsy" for a bit when he does.  I started putting down shavings and that has helped.  It even gave my young mare something to "play" with.  She has made a game of pushing all the shavings up the wall and around her back feet.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-29 10:19 AM (#24478 - in reply to #24323)

Expert

Have you tried hauling her alone in the center stall?  Give this a try a few times and see what happens.  Many horses will scramble if they feel they can't spread their legs for balance so, if she is at the bulkhead wall in the first stall, this could be the problem.
heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-30 5:13 AM (#24523 - in reply to #24478)

Regular

As suggested, the latest Western Horseman article on scramblers is excellent! Worth a look!

Brenda

live2ride
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-24 2:46 PM (#25590 - in reply to #24276)

Thanks for all the advice.  I got the Western Horseman article and it had some great suggestions...thank you!!!  I have an update!

Last weekend I finally put her back in the trailer in the last stall so she would have room to spread out if that was the reason.  I did not tie her cause the article said to give them freedom and said the wall could cause some problems.  I drove her about 45 min away and NO problems.  She drove home great and then I put her in the first stall against the wall to see what she would do and pulled down the street and she scrambled, ripped off a boot and scraped her leg in 2 minutes.  I could not believe that it made such a difference to be in the 2nd stall.  Now I can't haul her in my two horse with some friends cause they say their horses won't fit up there.  I am not sure if other people have horses that won't fit width ways in a slant load, but she has not even tried it so I will have to convince my friend to give it a try (16.2 Dutch Warmblood).  I thought about giving her the option of us taking out the divider and using it like a stock trailer, but with mine scrambling and her big horse it might not be a good thing....any thoughts?

Thanks!

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-24 4:55 PM (#25605 - in reply to #24276)

Expert

Glad that you are successful in sorting this out. I was thinking that (1) the gelding splashed her when he peed and (2) the smell could have set her off.

So far as hauling with your friends.... I say take the time NOW to get your mare relaxed again about hauling. It may mean that everyone hauls in their own rigs for a summer ... but I think you need to consider the long term - whether you plan on keeping the mare or sell her - you sure don't want her all gouged up from scrambling nor do you want to hide that she has a problem.

Once she settles - you can probably take the dividers out and haul like a stock trailer. That's one thing I wish they would do in the enclosed slant trailers, is put sturdy tie rings on the "butt" side so that it is possible to put 2 horses side by side.

And - if you are showing, it isn't possible, but if you're not, you could also consider some calm & cool paste (4 hours before) or quietex powder a few times before hauling. Just to help her get past this.

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-05-24 5:18 PM (#25607 - in reply to #24276)

Extreme Veteran

<<I am not sure if other people have horses that won't fit width ways in a slant load, but she has not even tried it so I will have to convince my friend to give it a try (16.2 Dutch Warmblood). 

My friend has a featherlite 3 horse slant, 7 feet wide, and my 15.3 quarter horse doesn't fit in the first stall.  If I got a slant, I'd have to get the WB slant like 4 Star offers.

Jbsny

Casbar
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 11:13 PM (#25693 - in reply to #24276)

I have a mare that does this to the extreme, found out she does best when I dont tie her head and turn her loose in a gooseneck open stock trailer,,happy hauling, she stands just the way she wants and doesent hurt herself, now just to go out and buy one......Happy Trails Lorinda , Westie and Doc and Jazze
live2ride
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-27 3:17 PM (#25760 - in reply to #24276)

I just bought this trailer 1 year ago cause she would not get into my 2 horse straight load so I am NOT going to buy another trailer JUST for her.  She is going to have to learn to stand in it again.  She traveled fine for over a year and she went in it 2-4 times a month.  I can remove the divider and make her ride in the back stall so I am not to worried about it.  I just hate the fact that these front stalls are almost completely worthless.  Anyone have there trailer redone and move that divider back so the front stall has more room. 
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-28 3:00 PM (#25792 - in reply to #25760)

Expert

The first stalls are not worthless.  I haul in mine many times without problems.  You just have a horse that needs to really spread her feet to feel balanced.  Just don't haul her in anything with dividers that go to the floor, including the first stall, and she'll be fine.  Haul the other horse up there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)