'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum Wheel Solution

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-25 2:51 PM
4 replies, 4167 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-24 8:25 AM (#24239)
Subject: Aluminum Wheel Solution

Extreme Veteran

Earlier I had asked where the best place to get aluminum rims for my trailer might be.  I got a lot of nice emails about possible solutions, but I ended up keeping my plastic wheel covers I had bought at an auto store.

The problem was that my hub didn't want to keep taking the covers off the wheels to put air in the tires.  So I had longer stems put in.  At dinner with some friends, we were talking about the problems of always taking off the covers.  One other person who had covers said they used stem extenders.  I found some at an auto store and that fixed the problem for about 3 bucks!!!!

So now I can live with the covers (they look nice and dress up the trailer over the steel wheels that came with the trailer).

Thanks all for your ideas.. and I thought I would share this solution for those that might be thinking about how to make their older trailers look pretty spiffy (for their use or for sale purposes).

Jbsny

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-24 10:35 PM (#24253 - in reply to #24239)
Subject: RE: Aluminum Wheel Solution

Expert

Didn't want spinners, eh ?
I was thinking a set of tire flies and spinners would be Kool to cruise around downtown "Bawston". I could pin the top doors open and hang the horses' tails out, maybe paint one tail red and another one green... ?
Yeah !
rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-24 11:12 PM (#24257 - in reply to #24239)

Extreme Veteran

For all those who would like to change the wheels on their trialers it ma not be as simple as it should be. The first problem is the bolt pattern. If you have a 6 bolt wheel you probably have a 6 by 5.5 bolt pattern. However, if you have a 5 bolt wheel you mnay have a 4.5, 4.75, 5.0 or even 5.5 inch pattern. For instance my trailer which is an old steel gooseneck has a 5 by 4.5 inch bolt pattern. This is a very common pattern amounst regular auto wheels. However, trying to find a wheel that will fit over the hub, a wheel that has a big enough center hole, can be a real problem. Also, the "offset", the measurement that has the wheel in position from outside to inside of the wheel well is important also.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-25 7:25 AM (#24261 - in reply to #24257)

Expert

Originally written by rimshoes on 2005-04-24 11:12 PM

For all those who would like to change the wheels on their trialers it ma not be as simple as it should be. The first problem is the bolt pattern. If you have a 6 bolt wheel you probably have a 6 by 5.5 bolt pattern. However, if you have a 5 bolt wheel you mnay have a 4.5, 4.75, 5.0 or even 5.5 inch pattern. For instance my trailer which is an old steel gooseneck has a 5 by 4.5 inch bolt pattern. This is a very common pattern amounst regular auto wheels. However, trying to find a wheel that will fit over the hub, a wheel that has a big enough center hole, can be a real problem. Also, the "offset", the measurement that has the wheel in position from outside to inside of the wheel well is important also.

The other thing worth understanding is that they are designed to NOT fit.
This is part of a master plan to protect us from ourselves by not allowing us to put 500 lb rated rims under 10,001 lb rated trailers (-:
{or 26,001}
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-25 2:51 PM (#24291 - in reply to #24239)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for reminding me that the wheels have to support the trailer and horses.  The extended stems I had put on the wheels didn't clear the plastic wheel covers I had, but the extenders I put on the stems did.  I think I paid around 14.95 for the covers... and if I were going to sell a trailer that had a bit of rust on the rims (not ones that were unservicable as that would be dishonest), I would do that to make the trailer look more polished.  In fact, that was how I got the idea, from a trailer a friend bought.. the dealer had put the wheel covers on and did that snazz the trailer up.   I got mine the next week.

Jbsny

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)