'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sealing roof seams

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-20 9:06 PM
3 replies, 6147 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TWalkers
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-20 1:23 PM (#24058)
Subject: Sealing roof seams

Any input on what to use on sealing roof seams on a 2001 Sundowner's roof? We have a couple of places that look like they are coming up and would like to fix those and reinforce the rest of the top. Has anyone ever heard of SikaFlex caulk or used it?

Thanks for any input ahead of time!

Have a great week!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-20 3:20 PM (#24067 - in reply to #24058)
Subject: RE: Sealing roof seams

Expert

I have used Sikaflex to redo some leaking seams.  It works well.  I think my trailer's problem was the factory was too concerned about appearance and smoothed the sealant too thin over the joint.  I redid the joints two ways.  Wire brushed the original sealant completely out and just wire brushed the sealant's surface.  (used a wire brush in a power side grinder.  Anything less is too much struggle)

I finally chose to just wire brush the sealant surface clean and add more Sikflex over the joint.  Hint ... use masking tape on both sides of the joint.  Then remove the tape as soon as you've smoothed the sealant.   Don't wait for the sealant to set.  The stuff is tenaciously sticky.  Have a bunch of disposable gloves and rags handy.

Do you know the specific Sikaflex and color to use?  If not, do a search of my previous posts.

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-20 3:41 PM (#24069 - in reply to #24058)

You might want to check on Eternabond RV Roof Repair tape for your trailer. It has gotten a lot of positive comments on the RV forums and seems to do an excellent job. It actually overlays the seam on both sides and forms a flexible water tight barrier. A little more expensive than caulk but it's fairly easy to apply and sure beats the mess that caulking can be. It comes in several sizes and colors. Link to the manufacturer below.

http://www.eternabond.com/leak_repair_products.htm
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-20 9:06 PM (#24078 - in reply to #24069)

Veteran

I used a roll of aluminum faced roof sealer that I purchased at Lowes. Its about 6 inches wide and comes in a roll several feet long. I covered the entire top seam on my Sooner. This product was super sticky and is flexible so you can smooth it over the factory seam. The original factory seam on this trailer is reinforced with a strip of aluminum about 1/8 thick by 1 inch wide. Ive had it on for 2 years with no problems. Marty
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)