'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
slats or slides?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-22 9:49 AM
6 replies, 4252 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-18 4:52 PM (#23995)
Subject: slats or slides?

Extreme Veteran

If you could only get the trailer you wanted with slats or slides, which would you perfer? Seems like you'd get more air with the slats, but the slides would be less trouble. I live in Texas, so I'm concerned about air flow. I would like drops on both sides, but I'm not finding that in my price range.

thanks,
Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-18 5:27 PM (#23996 - in reply to #23995)
Subject: RE: slats or slides?

Extreme Veteran

Slides here. Couple reasons I have chosen trailers with slider windows, 1. to keep out the weather, not only to keep horses dry and clean but to prolong the life of the interior horse area, 2. living in NE Michigan and 4 seasons, and 3. BUGS, bees seemed to like a trailer I had that had slider windows with NO screens and when left open all summer, well they are quite crafty creatures.

Just my opinion. I have not had problems with little air flow during the summer. With pop-up roof vents,sliders on nose and rear side and the back door slider, there seemed to be plenty of airflow and my horse was not sweaty. You could look into gettting a trailer with an insulated roof. Some have said that keeps a trailer cooler.

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-18 6:20 PM (#23998 - in reply to #23995)

Veteran

I live in Texas too. I just bought a trailer last week. It has drop-downs on both sides. I started to scrimp and get bus windows. I spent the little bit extra for drops. I figured that if I'm going to be making payments on it and looking at it every day, I might as well get what I wanted or I won't be happy. It's not much difference in the payment. Glad I did. Mainly because if it starts raining when you are on the road, with bus windows you can't close them on some trailers from the outside. So, what do you do, unload your horses in the rain so you can close the windows?? Gets the dropdowns and be happy later.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 11:25 AM (#24023 - in reply to #23995)

Expert

Sides - and if I was in the southern states a lot either an insulated roof, air conditioned horse area, or some sort of second shade roof (design and invention tbd). The insulated roof is probably the simplest and therefore cheapest.

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 12:28 PM (#24027 - in reply to #23995)

Slats or big drops. I live in a hot climate, have slider windows and roof vents, insulated, and the trailer is hotter than hades in there in the summer! Moving down the road it is not to bad, but we are in trouble if we have to slow down or stop. I can open the walk through door if we are stopped, but if we got into slow moving traffic or something I would start to worry about the horses.

A friend has a trailer with slats and even on the hottest days it is like standing under a shade tree in the trailer because the air can move through.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 4:00 PM (#24041 - in reply to #23995)

Extreme Veteran

SLATS.  Yes, we are in Texas and heat is a huge issue!  The more open the better.
Mine has slats with removable Lexan panels.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-22 9:49 AM (#24170 - in reply to #24041)

Extreme Veteran

I think I'll look for slats or drops, and if I end up with slides I'll get an insulated roof. I'm hoping to buy used to save some money.

I was talking with a friend on this topic and we came up with the idea that slates should have plexi glass in three pieces that can be slid to one end or the center, so you don't actually have to take them out.

Thanks,
Betty

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World