'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aerodynamics & air foils.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-19 8:16 AM
5 replies, 4115 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-17 8:49 AM (#23962)
Subject: Aerodynamics & air foils.

Expert

I'd like to solicit opinions and experiences of the various air foils and air deflector "wings" that attach to the truck roof and (supposedly) help the trailer to draft behind the truck more efficiently.

I just did about a 5,100 mile (about 415 gallons) round trip in 8 days and am interested in;

Any measurable effect on fuel mileage ?
Ability to fight headwinds ?
Any changes in noise levels in the truck ?
Bug splat density on the front of the trailer ?
Anything else about them ?
Brands to look for or avoid ?

Looking at 18 wheelers and their cab to trailer cowls more than usual is part of what has prompted this question - I also enjoyed the scenery (-:

Edited by Reg 2005-04-17 8:53 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackel440
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-17 7:56 PM (#23972 - in reply to #23962)
Subject: RE: Aerodynamics & air foils.

i have a stainless steel turbo wing on my Dodge Ram dually.Ilove it!!!I got it for pulling my 5th wheel camper.I couldn't beleive how much a difference it made on how my truck pulled.It made my truck run easier pulling the trailer at the same speeds and passing semis or getting passed by one made it so much easier to drive.my buddy got one for his truck and said it made a big diference for him too.

I never checked the milage difference.but it did help.Ipermantley mounted mine to the cab of my roof.I also have 5"exhaust stacks in the bed that come up as high as the wing and it pulls the exhaust up over the trailer.

I purchased mine from Taylor wing search the net they have a website. i got the oversize wing with lites mounted in it.If you don't want to mount it to your roof they have a rack system thats like a headache rack and it holds the wing over the cab and then you have no holes drilled in your roof.and can also take it off and put it on another truck.

My advice is if your pulling far and sounds like you are it would be a good investment.it did also eliminate some bugs on the front of the trailer.

happy trails

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-17 10:31 PM (#23977 - in reply to #23962)

Expert

Thanks,
I have an aluminum rack behind the cab, for some odd reason I hadn't thought of attaching to that instead of drilling the roof (-:
I found a couple in an RV catalogue, one "strap-on" with suction cups for about $150 and another for around 3 times that. Hard to tell the value difference from the blurb, I'll try dropping in on RV dealers for some touch and feel.

It is a bit of a dilema, I rarely do much highway driving, but this time it was nearly all interstate and I did get some SERIOUS headwind on I-80 westbound.
rps
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-18 10:25 AM (#23982 - in reply to #23962)

Hi Reg.

I ahd  flat fiberglass wing back in 92 it attached to a frame in the stake pockets. Pulled a 29' fiifth wheel wit a 92 f250 diesel . maybe added 1/2 mile per gal. but it kept the front of the trailer clean and I did notice it pulled easier and it seemed like there was less wind resistance. Hope this helps, I liked it.

Rick

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 6:17 AM (#24005 - in reply to #23982)

Expert

Originally written by rps on 2005-04-18 10:25 AM

Hi Reg.

I ahd flat fiberglass wing back in 92 it attached to a frame in the stake pockets. Pulled a 29' fiifth wheel wit a 92 f250 diesel . maybe added 1/2 mile per gal. but it kept the front of the trailer clean and I did notice it pulled easier and it seemed like there was less wind resistance. Hope this helps, I liked it.

Rick

Thanks,

Hmmmm, 1/2 MPG would be about 4% for that trip, or $40.
I'd need another 4 such trips to break even on a $150 or so foil.
I know, too much analysis and we can't be very precise about this anyway (-:
Its a ~20,000 highway mile thing.
rps
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 8:16 AM (#24010 - in reply to #23962)

You know I was thinking about the design of the wing I had and it wouldn't be very hard to make one yourself, really you could get square tubing to fit in the stake pockets, weld or bolt  some flat or angle at top and mid way to get your angle and use a piece of 1/2" cdx and paint it with a good enamel paint (you choose the color). I think it would be just as functional as any sold because the wing I had was basically just that.Plus you might even start you own customized wing business. (not me)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)