'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Re-wiring a 2H BP striaght load (NT)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-21 3:55 PM
8 replies, 4872 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kewpalace
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-15 2:44 PM (#23907)
Subject: Re-wiring a 2H BP striaght load (NT)

I'm wondering if I can re-wire my 2H BP straight load LVI trailer (no tack room) or if it's better to take it to the shop.  It can't be that hard, can it?   I'm pretty handy and looked at how the wire was run; doesn't seem to be that difficult, but since I'm not an electrician, maybe I'm missing something.  It has a 4 point flat plug, two tail/brake lights, 4 small clearance lights on the side and the license plate light.  Anyone have any links for instructions?  I've found a few that have wiring diagrams that seem pretty straight forward, but maybe there's a great site I've missed. 

Thanks for all comments!   

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-15 2:59 PM (#23909 - in reply to #23907)
Subject: RE: Re-wiring a 2H BP striaght load (NT)

Expert

Why do you want or need it rewired?

That will bear greatly on the answer.

kewpalace
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-15 3:06 PM (#23911 - in reply to #23909)

The clearance and tail lights aren't working (brake lights work), there are "extra" wires hanging out by the plug (although all 4 wires are in the plus), the plug looks like hell (LOL) . . . so would like to make a clean start and replace all connections/wires/plug.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-15 4:28 PM (#23916 - in reply to #23907)

Expert

been there, done that.  its not hard at all.  just a little cussing when youre pulling the wires to their respective locations.  i doubt youll need a website, most wiring kits have a diagram on the package. heres one anyway,

http://www.championtrailers.com/4%20pole%20wiring%20dia.pdf

should be (i think):

white = ground

brown = tail lights/marker lights

green = right turn

yellow = left turn

something to watch for is the leads on the tail/stop light, if you get them reversed when the tail lights are on you wont be able to see the brake or turn signal light.  not that im speaking from personal experiance or anything......

Edited by chadsalt 2005-04-15 4:46 PM
greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-15 10:40 PM (#23931 - in reply to #23907)

I'm wondering....the extra wires at the plug....would they be for electric brakes? This trailer should have brakes of some sort (required by law in many areas), and unless it has hydraulic surge brakes, it should have wiring for electric brakes. I think that maybe you should take a look and see if there are brake assemblies in behind the wheels, and if there are wires going into the backing plates. May be on one axle or both, often with the lighter/smaller tandem axle trailers there are brakes only on one axle (usually the rear axle in my experience).

Mark
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-16 11:29 AM (#23939 - in reply to #23931)

Expert

Originally written by greywynd on 2005-04-15 11:40 PM

I'm wondering....the extra wires at the plug....would they be for electric brakes? This trailer should have brakes of some sort (required by law in many areas), and unless it has hydraulic surge brakes, it should have wiring for electric brakes. I think that maybe you should take a look and see if there are brake assemblies in behind the wheels, and if there are wires going into the backing plates. May be on one axle or both, often with the lighter/smaller tandem axle trailers there are brakes only on one axle (usually the rear axle in my experience). Mark

thats a good question, although only one wire would likely be going to the brakes if so equiped.  certainly worth looking under the trailer for.  i had an old 2h straight load manger that didnt have brakes on either axle, used to pull it with a 83 chevy caprice. that was fun.

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-16 8:17 PM (#23950 - in reply to #23907)

If you don't have brakes on your trailer you are probably breaking the law.  Also, if you have any kind of accident while towing without legal brakes your insurance may be void.  If you are from California, any trailer exceeding 1500 pounds must have brakes.  The laws vary from state to state with the weight requirement for brakes ranging from no minimum limit in North Dakota to 10,000 pounds in Massachusetts.  The link below shows the state by state requirements.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/laws.htm

SaddleSore
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-04-16 9:30 PM (#23955 - in reply to #23907)

Regular

As Chad said,running the wires can be the hard part,been there,done that.The easiest way is to solder the new wire onto the old wire and pull the old wire out.If you don't solder them together,halfway in the new wire will let go(guaranteed to happen 99.95% of the time,maybe more).

SaddleSore

kewpalace
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-21 3:55 PM (#24127 - in reply to #23950)

The 1500 lb. limit applies to "trailer coach" ("A 'trailer coach' is a vehicle, other than a motor vehicle, designed for human habitation or human occupancy for industrial, professional, or commercial purposes, for carrying property on its own structure, and for being drawn by a motor vehicle") and "camp trailer" ("A 'camp trailer' is a vehicle designed to be used on a highway, capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes, that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and does not exceed 96 inches in width and includes any tent trailer.").   CA VC sec. 26303, 635, & 242.

Otherwise, I think any "trailer" ("A 'trailer' is a vehicle designed for carrying persons or property on its own structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon any other vehicle." VC sec. 630) over 3000 lbs. requires brakes CA VC sec. 26302 ("(a) Every trailer or semitrailer, manufactured and first registered after January 1, 1940, and having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more and which is operated at a speed of 20 miles per hour or over shall be equipped with brakes.  (b) Every trailer or semitrailer manufactured and first registered after January 1, 1966, and having a gross weight of 3,000 pounds or more shall be equipped with brakes on at least two wheels.")

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)