'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What is a fair percentage to ask a dealer to come dwon in price on a trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-15 12:50 PM
7 replies, 6080 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-13 11:31 PM (#23815)
Subject: What is a fair percentage to ask a dealer to come dwon in price on a trailer?

Regular

What do most of you think is a fair percentage to ask a trailer dealer to come down in price on a used trailer? For example, what would most of you think a fair price would be for a $10,000 dollar used trailer. Or, I could ask, what kind of markup do used trailer dealers have? I know I'll probably get some e-mails from dealers saying that it's none of my business, but I want to make the absolute best deal I can and still let the dealer make a little profit.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-14 9:31 AM (#23826 - in reply to #23815)
Subject: RE: What is a fair percentage to ask a dealer to come dwon in price on a trailer?

Veteran

OK, it depends on how much the trailer is worth compared to the price tag on it, how bad the dealer wants to move it, how much the dealer has in it and so on. Make the dealer an offer and see if he bites. Theres not a specific scientific method to this. They are not like cars. I wish they were. But a good used trailer priced right is a very hot item. If by chance the dealer already has it at a very good price for what it is, it will not be there long.

Good Luck

bearcat
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-14 12:07 PM (#23835 - in reply to #23815)
Subject: RE: What is a fair percentage to ask a dealer to come dwon in price on a trailer?

I think the best way to come up with a fair price is to look everywhere  you can (on the web, other dealers, classifieds, etc...) for a similar product and get a good idea of the actual "worth" of the trailer.

My recent trailer buying experience went like this:

Dealer wanted $8300 for used trailer - Since I live far away, I called them back a few days later, put $500 down to "hold it" while I looked around some more - did some research, talked to my wheeling & dealing friend who said "if you're fully ready to walk away from the deal (I was, since this was the 1st trailer I looked at and liked) offer them $5000"  -  offered $5000, dealer basically hung up on me...

Got a call back 2 weeks later  "Errr, are you still interested in the trailer?"  And we both happily settled on $6000

Just my one experience - depends how attached you are to the trailer and how fair you think the asking price is...  I was really surprised the trailer place wasn't willing to barter right here and there with me, as I made my lowball offer hoping to be met in the middle...

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-14 5:46 PM (#23858 - in reply to #23815)

Expert

i got a real education about trading one in when we bought our Platinum.I traded in a super clean 2000 Towlite,which I've mentioned before.Dealer gave me:$5400.I wanted 7K if selling myself,but took tradein for various reasons.When I looked on their web,I didn't know whether to laugh,cry,feel dumb or mad--they'd priced it at $8900! I imagine it will be there a while,too.But,no one knows the details like I do,either.(prospective buyer.)
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-14 7:43 PM (#23865 - in reply to #23815)

Expert

The price of anything is set by the buyer.  Doesn't matter a bit if the seller is asking too much.  The buyer decides.  So .. have a price range in mind and stick to it.   The example posted is a good one.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer.  That trailer priced at $8900 is what's asked.  After carrying the trailer and other costs, I doubt they'll get that much profit.

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-14 8:10 PM (#23868 - in reply to #23815)

Regular

All these tidbits of information are great to know. I've been searching high and low for a true bargain, but by doing so, I'm missing a great time to trailer out and go trail riding. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $7500 to $8500 range and with that I would like a trailer with insulation and air and a minimum of a 4 ft short wall.  I would consider a steel trailer with No rust, but I really want an aluminum.  It amazes me how fast steel trailers rust. A 2 horse trailer would be great, but I would also consider a three horse if it were not too long. (I have to travel down very narrow windy roads. so I don't want anything too big.) Age is not too important, but condition is. I have seen several trailers that would fit the bill quite well on Horse Trailer World, but they are always way too far away. I really don't want to travel more then 300 miles to find that perfect trailer, so that does limit me a bit.  (I'm in the middle Tennessee area) After that is all said and done, if any of you know where I may find that perfect trailer, let me know.
RES1
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-04-15 6:40 AM (#23884 - in reply to #23815)

Regular

The perfect trailer for you may not be the perfect trailer for me. My friend is a car dealer and said sure there are guide lines for vehicle prices, but the bottom line is something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. When we bought our trailer I racked my brain trying to find the best deal. Even after we bought the trailer I kept looking and would tell my wife look we could have gotten this trailer for $1,000 less or this one for $300 less and so on until she was ready to kill me. The bottom line if your within a $1,000 of what the trailer is actually worth and your happy you probably got a good deal. Also a factor to cinsider I would rather pay a little more from a dealer that provides good service after the sale.

Just my 2 cents!

pac nw
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-15 12:50 PM (#23902 - in reply to #23815)

Well, quickly learned that trailer dickering was not like car/truck dickering.  For the newer trailers, privately-owned used or dealer-owned new, no one was willing to come down by thousands like I expected.  Say $1000 at most for anything over 10K.  And you didn't have time to think it over, trailers seemed to be selling within days. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)