'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Ponderosa Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-13 9:31 AM
22 replies, 8793 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lrmiller
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 2:53 PM (#23734)
Subject: Ponderosa Trailers

New User

I'm thinking of buying my first trailer, a Ponderosa

18' GN Stock trailer.  Any feedback good or bad is

appreciated.  Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-12 4:20 PM (#23744 - in reply to #23734)
Subject: RE: Ponderosa Trailers

Veteran

Ponderosas are great trailers. I pulled a ponderosa bumper pull stock for years. Loved it and wish I'd kept it around for short trips after upgrading to the LQ. Of course they're steel and if not shelter kept you'll have rust problems.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 4:40 PM (#23748 - in reply to #23734)

Veteran

Ponderosa trailers are one of the less expensive of the steel trailers. If you have the time to search for a little better made trailer it would be worth it to you in the long run.. Ponderosa is not known for thier paint prep. or finish. They will rust quicker than most brands. Also look at the floor supports. Do they run across or from front to back? Also the flooring its self how are they installed, across or front to back. The Ponderosa's that I have looked at have the flooring running across the trailer and the angle supports running the same way, and the only thing supporting the flooring are the angle edges on the sides of the trailer and 2 very thin metel strips running long ways under the floor. some times you really do get what you pay for. Ponderosa is not a bad trailer but not a very good one either, unless you really get it at a deal..

Good Luck

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 9:28 PM (#23761 - in reply to #23734)

Expert

Ponderosa trailers are made in Plummerville,AR.As steel trailers go,they are as well made as the next one.I don't agree that their paint jobs aren't as good as most.I had a 2H wide Ponderosa that I swapped for,and I loved it.Sold it just because I found a 2H S&H w/dressing room.ANY steel trailer is going to rust if kept out in the weather.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-12 9:39 PM (#23762 - in reply to #23734)

Expert

umm....whats with everyone talking about steel trailers rusting?  granted im now in the southeast, but ive been all over.  cars are made of steel, if you maintain steel it wont be a problem.......plain and simple. now a crappy paint job will have to be repainted sooner and youll spend more time with a wire brush and spray paint in the meantime than you will on an aluminum.  just got to stay on top of that maintenance.

as for ponderosa, the ones ive looked at....how can i put this and be PC?  i dont like to get in brand disputes, but better trailers can probably be had for the same money. JMO

Edited by chadsalt 2005-04-12 9:43 PM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-12 10:16 PM (#23764 - in reply to #23762)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-04-12 10:39 PM

umm....whats with everyone talking about steel trailers rusting?  granted im now in the southeast, but ive been all over.  cars are made of steel,

Yes but cars are coated with a dip solution called Alpo - the vehicles are literally dipped into the solution that is electrically charged and it attaches to the steel - this keeps it from rusting and is why cars tend to be so much more rust resistant than any other steel things. 

A steel trailer will rust much faster than your car. Even good quality steel trailer will have spots where the paint wears off and starts to rust within the first 5 years. Steel trailers require a lot of up-keep. That said - I had a 2H steel BP that I just sold at 28 years old -  and it's still going strong.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 11:12 PM (#23766 - in reply to #23734)

Expert

As I said earlier,any steel trailer will rust,especially if kept out in weather.The sun does more damage than anything,I think.We kept our steel trailers inside,and the dampness alone caused rust.That being said,they do know how to build good trailers in Arkansas.I see a lot of Deltas.Big Valleys,Ponderosas and Towlites on the road,and they look as good as most of the other steels around.Everybody can't afford an aluminum trailer.I just got my first one,and I really couldn't afford it,either.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-13 6:58 AM (#23778 - in reply to #23764)

Expert

Originally written by MBRA518 on 2005-04-12 10:16 PM
Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-04-12 10:39 PM

umm....whats with everyone talking about steel trailers rusting?  granted im now in the southeast, but ive been all over.  cars are made of steel,

Yes but cars are coated with a dip solution called Alpo - the vehicles are literally dipped into the solution that is electrically charged and it attaches to the steel - this keeps it from rusting and is why cars tend to be so much more rust resistant than any other steel things. 

A steel trailer will rust much faster than your car. Even good quality steel trailer will have spots where the paint wears off and starts to rust within the first 5 years. Steel trailers require a lot of up-keep. That said - I had a 2H steel BP that I just sold at 28 years old -  and it's still going strong.

isnt alpo dog food? just kidding. and 28 years is even longer than i would have expected to have good service from a trailer. after all everything dies.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-13 7:18 AM (#23780 - in reply to #23766)

Expert

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2005-04-12 11:12 PMAs I said earlier,any steel trailer will rust,especially if kept out in weather.The sun does more damage than anything,I think.We kept our steel trailers inside,and the dampness alone caused rust.That being said,they do know how to build good trailers in Arkansas.I see a lot of Deltas.Big Valleys,Ponderosas and Towlites on the road,and they look as good as most of the other steels around.Everybody can't afford an aluminum trailer.I just got my first one,and I really couldn't afford it,either.
easy there, nobody said they wouldnt rust. but you can certainly get good service out of a steel trailer with a little effort on the part of the owner.
lrmiller
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-13 7:30 AM (#23781 - in reply to #23734)

New User

Thanks for all the great comments. I will keep them in mind!
lrmiller
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-13 7:36 AM (#23783 - in reply to #23748)

New User

Do the floor supports running across rather than front to  back make it less safe?  One of the selling points was  that it would be stronger than supports running front to back.
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-13 8:43 AM (#23785 - in reply to #23734)

Veteran

I bought a new 2004 2H staight load BP Ponderosa last year at a great price. I have been happy with the trailer for the most part. But for the price, don't expect a super finish job...there were a few spots on the paint job that weren't perfect, and a stuff like that. But overall, the trailer pulls realy well, has good brakes, a strong floor in my opinion even though it runs sideways (which they claim is a benefit), and overall is very solid and well-built. I have had no problems with it...all the lights always work, the doors open and close nicely, the welds have all held, it doesn't leak, and it pulls straight and true. I guess the only complaint I have is that the paint job in a few spots wasn't all that great. Good value for the money, though. That said, it stays outside year round (in Iowa) and doesn't seem to have any more problems with rust than you see with any other steel trailer after a year of being outside.

Edited by Flooper 2005-04-13 8:45 AM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-14 5:30 PM (#23855 - in reply to #23780)

Expert

Yes,absolutely correct.I didn't mention that I keep mine washed and waxed regularly,also.And try not to keep it in the sun when just sitting around in the yard.It all factors in,the care you give,how something looks!
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-15 5:50 AM (#23882 - in reply to #23778)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2005-04-13 7:58 AM
isnt alpo dog food? just kidding. and 28 years is even longer than i would have expected to have good service from a trailer. after all everything dies.

Well you never do know what ends up in cheap dog food

Yah that trailer was awesome - there is still a picture on my site at 28 years old:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/188646378/188646884oJhhan

It was scaped and tremcladed every year that I had it (the last 4 years) so it wasn't pretty - but it was solid and towed wonderfully. My mother owned it for 5 or 6 years before that, it had been completely redone just before she bought it - it always stayed out side too. We did the brakes on it about 3 years ago and had to redo all the wiring under the trailer because it fell apart in your hand - it was original... but even then all the lights still worked.

I sold it for $1500 to a girl buying her first trailer.... I just hope the new trailer will last as long.

miss katie did
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-18 5:50 PM (#23997 - in reply to #23783)

New User

I know of a person that had a brand new trailer with the floor boards running side to side. The first time out her young show mare fell through the floor while traveling and had to be put down. Buy the best that you can afford. You get what you pay for.
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 10:24 AM (#24019 - in reply to #23734)

Veteran

There are always "disaster" stories about any trailer, any construction method, any brand etc. You have to evaluate the construction of the trailer for yourself, and decide if it's well-built or not. I feel completely confident putting my horses in my Ponderosa trailer...and I check the floors (both inside and underneath) every time I use the trailer...poor maintenance is usually the cause of problems, not poor design. The floor in my Ponderosa is very solid and strong. From their website:

FLOORING-Pressure treated for longevity. Tongue and groove for extra strength. Kiln dried for less warpage. Run side to side for strength, making a 6 foot board stronger than a 16 foot board. Side to side floors are supported by the lengthwise floor strips as opposed to numerous cross members. This adds greater floor strength and less trailer weight. Floors are easier to replace. No screws to break, strip out or stick up.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 10:48 AM (#24020 - in reply to #23734)

Extreme Veteran

The only disadvantage of side to side floor is now you have (the in example of a 2H straight load) 4 hooves on one board, where lengthways you would only have 2 hooves per board. Not to say side to side is bad, just something to think about - that ofcourse would not be the case in a slant load.

Also the above quote mentions that a 6 ft board is stronger than a 16ft one... ok  - that would be true were it only supported at the ends... but that is not the case with a lengthways floor - there are steel supports running across (usually 12inch centers I think with wood floors) so now you are basically working with a 12 inch board - not a 16 ft one.

Also a 6ft piece of steel is also stronger than a 16 ft one... however how many times is that 16 ft piece of steel supported on the way down the trailer?

Again not to say there is anything wrong with a side to side floor - if it is properly designed there would not be... but those are some things you need to consider.

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 11:27 AM (#24024 - in reply to #23734)

Veteran

Those are all good points MBRA. I was just saying you can't go by disaster stories....you have to look at how the trailer is built. A well built side-to-side floor with proper supports is safe, strong, and dependable. A poorly built one is not...which is also true for floors running lengthwise. And a floor that is not maintained or replaced when neccessary is not safe regardless of which design is used.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-19 1:25 PM (#24033 - in reply to #24024)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Flooper on 2005-04-19 12:27 PM

Those are all good points MBRA. I was just saying you can't go by disaster stories....you have to look at how the trailer is built. A well built side-to-side floor with proper supports is safe, strong, and dependable. A poorly built one is not...which is also true for floors running lengthwise. And a floor that is not maintained or replaced when neccessary is not safe regardless of which design is used.

Oh I know what you were saying - and I agree, just when I read the quote from the website that you posted, the companies positive spin jumped out at me and  the above popped into my head - so I thought I'd post it. Every thing posted by a company always shows the positive end and leaves out the negative - which is understandable, they are trying to sell thier product, but since the above popped into my head I fiqured I'd post it in case it helped someone sort through the ads.

We all only ever hear customer reviews when something goes horribly wrong or unexpectedly right... you never hear the 99% that are in between - so you are right, you can never only listen to the disasters... you need to take them with a grain of salt and keep these things in mind when shopping but don't let them be the only reason for a decision - if we never bought a product unless no disaster had ever happened with it then we'd never by anything - things get misused and crap does get off the assembly line - it happens, best you can do is be informed and make your best choice

notawordok
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-19 2:01 PM (#24034 - in reply to #23734)

Regular

All I can speak with is my experince with the Ponderosa and it has been great. I bought a 16'gn stock trailer in '95 to haul cows on well daughter changed my mind about cows and i switched to the money maker trail horses (LOL) I still have the trailer orginal paint that still don't look bad it has had average care wash and waxed occasionally (like every other year)
It has always lived outside. I closed it off in 1999 at the dividing wall when daughter lost intrest in horses and my wife and i trail ride and camp. Made a weekend pkg in front and two horse in rear. The floor was replaced in the rear in 2001 because somebody would not shovel it out when it was parked in the pasture after a trip. It pulls great and never had any problems. Its used from April til Oct. an average of twice a month and ocassionaly during the other months. I bought it because it was a new cheap trailer to get me by until i could do better. I could do better now (if that means spending more money on something that does the same thing) but why its dependable reliable like i want because i made it myself (the camper part) We use it form a camper w/o the horses.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-20 9:58 PM (#24081 - in reply to #24024)

Expert

I agree with you,Flooper.I've had several steel trailers with wooden floors that ran side to side.From my first trailer,an old Champion,to 2 different WW's,to the Ponderosa,and now an S&H,I know good construction is important,but,after that,care and maintainence go a long way.I rinse mine after horses have urinated in it,shovel it out after every trip,drag out the mats(huff and puff) and once a year,scrub it with trailer wash and after dry,apply Thompson's Water Seal in a yard sprayer.I think it makes a BIG difference.My friend says,"I've had mine 11 yrs,I've never washed the floor or sealed it off." I say,"Well,I do,and I think it's a good thing."(I know,I can't stop trading trailers.)
Heavy Horse
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-11 1:32 PM (#26378 - in reply to #23734)

A great tool when shopping is CHECKING THE WARRANTY! Ponderosa will only cover you for 6 months...some others CM, S&H, etc have 5 years plus. That should tell you something! My girlfriend could not trade in her gooseneck stock trailer that was only 3 years old....the roof had rusted through. She took quite a loss on it. Spend what you can up front and your trade in and resale will be much better.

Many of these companies have quality that shifts...great models form 98 - 00 for example and then the new ones are garbage. Just because someone has a 20 year old one on the road doesn't mean the 05 is remotely made the same way. Depends on QA that year and how they are cutting costs. Just like a car or a saddle....there is a rason it is cheaper and you get what you pay for.
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 9:31 AM (#26447 - in reply to #23734)

Regular

That was our first trailer. A Ponderosa. Just don't pay for it before they ship it to you. My husband and I paid for ours in full before they shipped it. It came with one coat of paint. The paint was still wet. The bugs were all over the front of it. We couldn't get them off without scratching the trailer. We bought it in 1999. It has a lot of rust on it all ready. It's a wood floor which is great. But I think it was shy a couple of boards too. The one good thing I can say about it, it does pull nice. That's it. I hear the Bee trailers our nice steel trailers if that's what your looking at.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)