'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Gooseneck is Bucking??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-12 9:37 AM
9 replies, 8809 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

scotchdun
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 8:59 PM (#23690)
Subject: Gooseneck is Bucking??

New User

I have a 2004 Ford F-350, which is a year old and has about 3,500 miles on it.  My trailer is a 2002 Trails West steel 3-horse GN with DR and mid-tack.  Our hitch is a hide-a-ball, which was professionally installed.  Last summer, as I was on the interstate, there was consstruction and a bump.  I was in the fast lane, went over the bump, and the whole rig started bucking like crazy.  I thought the gooseneck had come unhitched from the truck - it was so violent!  So, not knowing what else to do, I decided to try and pull over to the left shoulder, and, as I stepped on the brake, the bucking subsided and then stopped.  I have had this happen twice since then and, both times, when I tapped the brake, the shaking stopped.  What causes this?  It's quite disconcerting.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 9:22 PM (#23691 - in reply to #23690)
Subject: RE: Gooseneck is Bucking??

Veteran

Have you checked with Ford? The 2003 Models had a few problems with this exact thing. Ford had to buy back quite a few trucks. New design for Ford with a new problem. I thought they had the problem fixed... Ask Mr. Truck about it. I am sure he has herd of this problem before..

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 9:23 PM (#23692 - in reply to #23690)

Extreme Veteran

I have experienced the same bucking with our truck a 03 F-350 with a 2004 24 foot C&C three horse LQ. Each case was an isolated incident and we never had any major problems. The key was to slow down and stop the bucking and it would resume to normal tow conditions. Speeding up never helped. We originally had our trailer and truck checked and everything was working fine and there were no damages. I think this is just something that occurs from time to time.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-11 9:26 PM (#23693 - in reply to #23692)

Veteran

I think this is related to your antilock brakes. There are some other posts here on the site related to similar issues. Do a search on "braking" "brake controllers" and see what you get.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-11 9:38 PM (#23694 - in reply to #23690)

Veteran

I asked my husband if he remembered what this was called. He said Ford called it "back lashing", It has to do with the new flex frame causing the brain to react with the overdrive in the transmission. I think its a 2" flex. The dealerships first tried to say it was the customer overloading the truck, but when the problem became more numerous Ford finally decided they had a problem. We had several customers return thier trucks in 2003 for this problem. One of our customers wrecked with thier trailer. This is a very serious problem and needs to be addressed.
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-12 8:17 AM (#23704 - in reply to #23690)

Elite Veteran

Some of the problem most likely is the truck, but some could be the way the trailer is set up too. As in gooseneck height adjustment. If you have to much angle when it's hooked up, as in gooseneck aiming skyward, you are only taxing one trailer axle and not distributing the pin weight properly. Also, we had the same problem with a 2001 F350 dually 4x4 pulling our 3 horse empty when we would hit a bump. We added a leaf pack on the dually and it took care of the problem now. Never had the issue with the trailer loaded. I have also pulled the same trailer with my 2003 F250 regular cab, and it never had the back lash with the trailer empty the way the dually did.
scotchdun
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 8:18 AM (#23705 - in reply to #23690)

New User

No, I have not checked with Ford, but I'm going to now, for sure.  I don't haul that much, but I'm by myself most of the time when I do and I sure don't want a wreck.  ASJ, do you work for a Ford dealer?  How do they "fix" this problem.
scotchdun
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 8:21 AM (#23707 - in reply to #23704)

New User

The gooseneck is adjusted properly and the trailer rides level.  My husband had to adjust it after we bought this truck last year.  Thanks for the advice, though.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 9:16 AM (#23710 - in reply to #23690)

Veteran

No I dont work for a Ford dealer, I managed a horse trailer dealership for the last 3 years so I have seen this problem quite often, especially in 2003. I have worked with several customers that at first their Ford dealerships were trying to say it was the trailer overloading the trucks. But after weighing the trailers for the customers and having proof of the trailers weight they went back to their Ford dealership that contacted Ford. I am not totally sure how this problem was corrected by Ford, but I do know that I had several of my customers that made the dealerships buy back their trucks. I was told that Ford was being sued over this problem. What ever you do I would make sure I started with Ford. Talk to your dealership. Dont settle with this problem until they fix it! I have test ridden with one of my customers and his truck bucked so violantly that he slmost lost control. He left without his trailer scared of wrecking. Ford took his truck back and he ordered a 2004 model. And was told that Ford had fixed the problem in the 04 models. I have not heard from him so he is not having a problem or he decided to get a differant truck. My other customers with this problem sold their trucks. I wish I could tell you what Ford did differantly to fix this but I can't. I do know that the heavier the load the worse it can be. ( flexes th frame more)

Good Luck!!! and God Bless You!!!

scotchdun
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-12 9:37 AM (#23712 - in reply to #23710)

New User

Thank you so much (for the blessings, too!).  I'm going to print out your message and talk to Ford TODAY! 

Anne

P.S.  Bless you, too!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World