'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slide Outs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-13 11:57 AM
6 replies, 5470 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 8:55 AM (#23566)
Subject: Slide Outs

Veteran

I am considering purchasing a Trails West LQ with a slide out dinette, Anyone out there purchased a slide out trailer? (any brand), and if you did how do you like it, does it leak? does it really add that much more room, is it slow to deploy. They seem to be the rage of the age with trailer manufactures, they are all making them.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 9:36 AM (#23567 - in reply to #23566)
Subject: RE: Slide Outs

Elite Veteran

I personally do not have a slide out. I do have two close friends that do have though, as well as my father-in-law's camper. One is on a Sundowner, 2 years old, works great and never leaked. The second one is on Curtis' Bison, he has had it a year in May, and the slide out has leaked since the second time he used it. They keep telling him its fixed, and then it leaks again. My f-n-law has a dual slide on his Wilderness 5th wheel, and it's 2 years old and they work great and have never leaked. As for room, it is amazing the amount of room it adds to the interior.
ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-08 10:15 AM (#23568 - in reply to #23566)

Veteran

Slide outs are definately the rage. The speed of the slide depends on the mechanism that the LQ manufacturer used. There are several slide mechanisms available, some slower some faster. As far as the leakage, that also may depend on the LQ manufacture, most LQ companies have been installing them for a while so they have plenty of experiance and there for do a good job instaling them and give a good warranty. Although, If you have a blowing rain coming from the direction of the slide you may have some rain blow in, so it would be a good idea to bring it in durring a hard rain. If you have had it out in a rain when you slide it in you may bring a little water in with it, just wipe it up.. A little water will not hurt.. The rubber seals act like a squeagee to remove water. It is also a good idea to keep the seal lubricated, there is a silicone spay lubricant available to use on your rubber seals to keep them from drying out.  

Hope this helps

PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-04-08 12:20 PM (#23575 - in reply to #23566)

Veteran

I have a slide in my Bison and it works great. I've used it for 18 months now in snow and driving rain and have had no problems with it leaking. Be sure to get a slide cover installed though, as they're supposed to really help keep the top of the slide clean and dry. My dealer said he always adds them to the trailers he orders. Otherwise anything that is on the top of the slide ends up on the LQ floor when you pull it in. Slide Covers are like mini awnings that are attached to the trailer and the roll is on the slide. They unwind and wind back up automatically with the slide. They can be purchased at www.campingworld.com for around $200 I think.

Mine is powered by a little electric motor underneath that rolls it out fairly quickly...say 60-90 seconds maybe. The silde really gives you a decent sized area to move around in, especially in a trailer with a dinette. I absolutely love mine and can't imagine not having the extra room now that I'm used to it.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 11:20 PM (#23593 - in reply to #23566)

Elite Veteran

We are living in a 5th wheel with two slide outs while we build our house - been in it over a year, two rainy seasons in the Seattle area. No leaks in the slide out areas. One suggestion, when you set up, set up slightly off level, with the slide out side slightly lower. Any rain that might collect on top of the slide out will run off. Slide outs add a ton of extra room, its just easier to move around inside with the slide outs. They don't take all that long to move in and out.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-11 11:11 AM (#23669 - in reply to #23566)

Expert

Not all trailers are e same in quality, therefore not all slides are the same either.  I know some brands that leak and some that don't.  I am not familiar with Trails West though.
BerlinRoque'
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-13 11:57 AM (#23792 - in reply to #23566)

Trailers West is a good trailer and they probably are using the current slide pkgs. so you won't be disappointed.  The only thing that I see is the fact that many people are paying huge prices for steel trailers w/LQs when you can buy in most cases an all Alum for the same or so close to it that you are better off to go for the Alum.

What is the price of this and how big?  I can give you some figures to compare. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)