'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help please...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-08 12:59 PM
7 replies, 4585 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Shyann
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-07 12:44 AM (#23523)
Subject: Need help please...

New User

Hey folks,

I am a new member to in here and am posting as I have a bit of a trailer predicament . Now, I just invested in a 1969 Miley 4 horse straight load gooseneck trailer with a 5th wheel hitch. My problem is that I cannot for the life of me figger out what the hitch weight is or if my truck will even haul it. My truck is a 1990 Ford F250 3/4 ton, with a 460 motor. Rear GAWR is 6084 lbs or 2759 kg, and the GVWR is 8600 lbs or 3900 kg. The only stats on the trailer that I know of is that the GVW is 4500 kg. So will my truck haul this trailer comfortably? if not, then should I be buying a 1 ton? or is there a miley site I can look up all info needed that hasn't been provided? I am in British Columbia if that helps for any info, lots of hills and mountains and such around. Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-07 10:57 AM (#23530 - in reply to #23523)
Subject: RE: Need help please...

Veteran

I think you should be just fine, but you could assure yourself by weighing your trailer and truck; both separately and hitched up. Compare these numbers to your weight ratings and then figure how much room you have for equines and cargo.
Shyann
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-07 12:29 PM (#23536 - in reply to #23530)

New User

Thanks for the advice Pete. We had thought about going to a scale to weigh, but the concern came up about, what if we are told to unload right there? and since its a half hour away from town, and slim to no tow trucks around here have a 5th wheel hitch, we could run into problems. On the other hand, would be bigger problems if we were hauling horses and were told to unload.  Heard that the ministry of transport out here has portable scales so maybe could work something out in that regard. Anywho, thanks...
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-07 12:36 PM (#23537 - in reply to #23523)

Expert

I don't know about where your at, but when trying to figure out all the weights/laws and such, I came across a place when looking up CDL requirement/exemptions that stated when you are overweight and hauling livestock, you will be allowed to continue to your distination.  With a ticket I'm sure.    I'll try to find the link again.  But it may not apply to you wayyyyy up there. 
Flush
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-07 9:30 PM (#23553 - in reply to #23537)

Regular

Please don't take the numbers I give you as fact, these are just guesses, and you NEED to weigh your trailer and truck to be sure, but here are some figures that will give you an idea:

You didn't say if your truck was crew cab, and if it was 4x4. Assuming it was (worst case), your truck should weigh roughly 6,000lbs.

Since your truck's GVWR is 8,600lbs, that leaves roughly 2,600lbs for people and gear, and most importantly the weight on the hitch from the trailer.

Most 4H trailers I have seen (listed on the web mind you) are in the 5,000-6,000 pound range. Since your trailer is rated at a total loaded weight of 9,900 lbs (4500kg), an empty weight of 6,000lbs would make sense, because 4 horses should weigh roughly 4,000lbs.

The weight that a GN trailer puts on the truck is usually 15-25% of the total trailer weight. If you assume worst case, that your trailer is 6,000lbs and puts 25% on the truck, that would mean when empty its putting 1,500lbs on your truck. Assuming you don't have a lot of heavy stuff in the truck, this leaves some room for margin (when the trailer is empty) even if some of my guesses are off.

So, based on the info you supplied, it would seem to me that you are most likely ok to tow the EMPTY trailer to the scales and get the real numbers. That is only the opinion of one "internet expert"!

If you run the numbers when you add 4 horses, you will see that you could indeed exceed your GVWR with only one person in the truck, so be careful. Also, the other number you need to worry about (at least you do here in the States) is the Gross Combined Weight Rating, which is the total weight of the truck and trailer. I'm not exactly sure where to get this, since many trucks don't list this on the data plate where they list GVWR. I'm almost certain the empty trailer and your truck would not exceed the GCWR, because even most half tons are rated to tow 6,000lbs, but it is something to be aware of.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Edited by Flush 2005-04-07 9:35 PM
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 8:12 AM (#23564 - in reply to #23523)

Elite Veteran

Hi Shyann and welcome to the site. I have 3 trucks that are very similar to yours. I always guess that the weight on the truck with a GN trailer is about 20% of the total weight of the trailer. My old 85 straight cab 2WD weighs #4200 empty, the 86 EXT/CAB is 4x4 and weighs about #5200 empty. THey both gross #8600 GVWR. The 01 Super Duty is the heaviest of all but pulls the nicest. The most important thing to remember is not pulling the trailer, but stopping it safely. I've pulled a steel, 4H straight load Kingston trailer with my 85 F250 loaded and headed for a weekend show without any problems. With the 460 you can be sure that you be able to pass everything on the road except a gas station. All of my trucks have diesel engines, so fuel milage is not a big issue with us for the moment. I would advise not going to a highway scale, but looking for a truck stop that has a scale. I've had REALLY bad experiences "trying to do the right thing" when it comes to weight and trailers and going to a highway scale to be weighed. One of the worst tickets I ever got was requesting to be weighed with my GN flatbed lightly loaded and the patrolman that weighed me said, "pull around back driver and come inside." My wife and I have pulled into a truckstop and explained what we were doing and the scale man worked with us for almost an hour and charged us for one weighing. We weighed the trailer alone, the truck alone and hooked up as well. As it turned out, the trailer was only adding 20% of the load to the truck, if it was loaded or empty. It was much less than 20% when the LQ 3H slant was empty. Happy trails.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 11:23 AM (#23570 - in reply to #23536)

Veteran

Rather than go to a highway weigh station to get weighed, consider a gravel yard. They usually have scales and enough room to park so that you can get weighed both hitched up and unhitched. Their scales may not be official, but the truck drivers depend on them to be fairly accurate to avoid getting fined. Call the gravel yard ahead of time to ask about this. I found one that would "read me the weights" without a paper document for no charge!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 12:59 PM (#23581 - in reply to #23570)

Expert

There  is a farm and ranch store and a truck stop not far from here that have scales. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)