'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2 horse living quarters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-15 4:53 PM
18 replies, 10387 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

diverchi
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 10:46 AM (#23390)
Subject: 2 horse living quarters

Since I am single with just one horse, I have been trying to locate a used aluminum 2-horse living quarters, without much luck!  I have been told I should get a 3 horse, even though I only haul one horse, as resale is better.  That would require me getting a bigger truck, which I don't want to do!  Any hints?  Also, I have noticed that many LQ in the south have heat strips instead of furnaces, and many parks that I use do not have electricity, so I need to use a gas furnace for heat in the spring and fall. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with this.  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 12:07 PM (#23395 - in reply to #23390)
Subject: RE: 2 horse living quarters

Extreme Veteran

Maybe look for a 2 H straight with LQ

From what I've heard the lower resale is true with a 2H slant. But a 2H straight load, 7'6" high (warmblood size) would be marketable if you sell it as many people with those larger horses use straight loads as many larger horses do not fit well in standard sizes slants.

sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 12:55 PM (#23405 - in reply to #23390)

I am also getting ready to buy a 2 horse gooseneck. People have told me the same thing, that a 3 horse has greater resale value. I understand what you say about a stright load but I like having the rear tack available in a slant. Also don't ya think there are more and more people like us who may be single and have just one horse to haul? The salespeople I talk to said they have seen a rise in 2 horse gooseneck sales, to the point of not being able to keep them in stock. Aside from that is there a great difference between Keifer Built, American Spirit, and Adam trailers? Allowing that they all three offer basically the same layout/options?
marlenaanne
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-04-04 1:03 PM (#23407 - in reply to #23390)

Regular

Minnesota Horse Expo starts April 22nd so would be a good time to check out sale boards.  Also I thought I saw a used 3 horse slant that converted the front stall and dressing room into a LQ on website for Arena Sales in Cannon Falls.  Good luck.  I went from 4 horse slant and was going to go to 2 horse and was also told to stay with 3 horse for resale.  Now I'm glad I did because the family that wasn't riding with me decided to get back into it and now I could use the 4 horse sometimes and definitely need the 3.  Same with horses ... I have too many or too few depending on which way the wind blows with friends and family.
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 2:07 PM (#23415 - in reply to #23390)

Veteran

Good luck on finding the right trailer for you. I would like to make a suggestion for your heating needs. Look into a Mr. Buddy portable propane heater. I have one, and it works great. There are also some other brands (Olympic?) which have been rated well. You might also consider looking at the RV Forums for some more suggestions on heating.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 5:12 PM (#23425 - in reply to #23390)

Elite Veteran

I just went down to a 2 horse from a three.  I travel alone with one horse and wanted a bigger LQ but not a big trailer.  I got a Sundowner but really recommend an Adam if you have a budget.  Delwood trailers is a the best Adam dealer. my opinion.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 6:23 PM (#23428 - in reply to #23390)

Extreme Veteran

I think it just may where you live.  They're everywhere down here (Texas.  I have one).  I don't think the resale value is decreased that much - especially if they are hard to find!

I downsized from a 4 door 1 ton dually and 4h GN to a 4 door 3/4 ton and a 2h GN with LQ and it's the best move I've made so far!  

menden
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 6:34 PM (#23430 - in reply to #23390)

I also haul one horse almost all of the time.  I bought a 3 horse goose with a little living quarter.  My advice is this- whether you buy a 2 or a 3 make sure you have a passage door to the back of the trailer.  That allows you to use the first stall for a storage room, or a bathroom.  (I have a porta-pottie in the corner) My first stall partition comes to the floor.  That keeps poop and straw outta my bathroom!!   Also for those of us with large horses to haul- My Featherlight slant goose is 4 inches wider than the other common brands. This is just enough space for my large horse.have fun with your choice.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-04 7:11 PM (#23434 - in reply to #23390)

Extreme Veteran

I contemplated a 2H or a 3H for months! I debated over whether I really needed a 3rd stall and did I really want to haul a longer trailer. While I usually only haul one horse to the shows, I may be taking my daughter's pony so while a 2H sounded like enough there was the problem of storage. I have read on here that you can never have enough room in a trailer. I knew that if I bought a 2H I would be kicking myself later. I was going from  a bumper pull slant load with  storage in the  rear tack AND dressing room to a LQ slant load trailer. With a LQ I suddenly was losing that extra storage for  chairs, brooms, tack, all the stuff that doesn't fit in the rear tack and stuff I don't want to put in the LQ area.  Anyway, I just bought a 3H LQ GN slant and will use the first stall for storage and have the piece of mind that I can always haul my horse, the pony and a friends horse to the show. And with fuel prices hiking up each day traveling to shows with friends works for me.

BTW there is currently a very nice '03 2H slant 8' LQ Exiss on Ebay right now.

inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-05 12:35 AM (#23439 - in reply to #23390)

Veteran

As I see you are from Indiana, I hope you had the opportunity to attend the Hoosier Horse Fair. This would have been a good place to compare trailers.  I have just ordered a 3h 12sw American Spirit.  I'm like you in that I usually only haul 1 horse. I want that 1st stall to put my hay and feed in, in case I'm traveling in bad weather. I also use this as a mud room, as I have a walk thru door.  I do already have the truck to pull it so that's not a problem I have. I would recommend you talk to Bob Fagg at Brian's Trailer Sales in Bainbridge.  He has been very helpful to me in ordering my trailer.  I also met the owners of American Spirit mfg. at the HHF and they are great people.  I was having a tough time deciding on which fabric I wanted and the owners wife took the seat cushion out of one trailer and put it in the other one for me to compare.  They listened to what I had to say about options and took time to talk to me.  There were a couple of "special" items I wanted in my trailer that they didn't normally do, but they are working on them with me.

My old trailer had a 5 ft. sw in it and I'm going to a 12ft sw.  But I want lots of storage and the extra room in the back, just in case.  Who knows, I might find the right guy to marry and take camping!!!

Anyway, good luck in your search.

diverchi
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-05 11:29 AM (#23454 - in reply to #23434)

Thanks! I saw the trailer on eBay, and am tempted, but scary buying something without seeing it!
sundance's girl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-05 1:39 PM (#23462 - in reply to #23390)

I was at HHF.  I worked for a booth and was there for all 4 days.  I also talked to Bob and will probably end up getting a trailer from Brian's trailer also.  As far as the people that were there he was the most helpful and patient.   I'm still leaning towards the 2 horse gooseneck.  I did like the American Spirit but the one they had down there was a straight load.  I liked the Adam 3 horse and noticed it wasn't much longer, and near the same amount of money.  I definitely know I want a walk thru for the purpose of storage and possible porta potty/cowboy shower.  Next question is should that first divider be a stud wall so it goes all the way to the floor to keep hay and things from ending up under the horse?  Is there a possibility of the horse's hoof getting under there?  Just curious how that would work.
Zane
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 4:02 PM (#23472 - in reply to #23390)

You usually will see 2H, L.Q.s in the 7' width.  After more people started to want the 8' width in trailers, 2H trailers started to fade.  The reason is that most manufacturers require a minimum 3' mid-tack be added to the 2H,so that axle placement doesn,t need to be changed because of the inside fender location.  The extra stall is cheaper than the mid-tack and thru-doors !!!  But, as you have heard,2H trailers are back !!  Also, straight-load trailers can also be rigged with "mid-tacks" for extra storage.  Lots of choices do exist--don,t be afraid to put the salesperson on the spot--he or she should know !! One other point--we do put lots of bottom-half dividers on that first stall for 3H people--to keep hay etc. or to use as a mud-room.  Keep in mind that you can,t put that same bottom on a  2H trailer with a telescoping divider.  The bottom protrudes into the walk-way, and your divider won,t telescope !!!  Hope this helps,  Zane.
diverchi
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-04-06 10:47 AM (#23501 - in reply to #23472)

Thanks alot for the great information and ideas.  I can really see the purpose of that third stall with stud wall for storage!
SalesRep
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 10:07 AM (#25015 - in reply to #23390)

New User

American Spirit builds straight load and slant load trailers with longer stalls, and LQ's with furnaces as standard equipment.  2 horse slants, 8' wide are available, ready to go right now.  
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-12 8:22 PM (#25037 - in reply to #23390)

Elite Veteran

I had a stud divider put in my 2 horse sundowner,  The bottom half folds back.  A tad unhandy, but well worth it.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-05-12 8:53 PM (#25038 - in reply to #23390)

Elite Veteran

This is what I know . . .  I just sold a 2 horse LQ trailer that I could have sold to 20 different people.  ALOT  of people want a 2 horse LQ.  My trailer was almost 10 years old, and I sold it for the exact amount I paid for it brand new.  Trust me, resale is good on those trailers.

Nancy

LifeIsGood
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-13 2:03 PM (#25071 - in reply to #23390)

I know someone that has the perfect trailer for you. It's a 2 horse slant with a 9' short wall dressing room ready to be finished out. You could have it finished out at the conversion company of your choice and get it exactly the way you want. It is in Florida but he travels quite a bit. I can tell you with pretty good confidence though, unless you were serious, he wouldn't have the time to take it to you just to see it first but I may be able to arrange pictures for you (he's not that camera/computer savvy *wink* and I'm in SC so I would have to get a friend of mine to do it). Let me know if you want to know more. I'll do what I can.
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-05-15 4:53 PM (#25142 - in reply to #23390)

Regular

Last fall I bought a 2000 Keifer 2 horse slant. It's alum skin. It already had a furnace in it. It also has a stove and sink.We only have one horse. We wanted it small because of our truck and only having one horse. There are only two of us in the family interested in riding. I am able to borrow a horse when we camp. It was difficult locating what we wanted, so keep looking until you find what you want. Good Luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)