'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why is LQ door almost always on curb side

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-09 9:10 PM
17 replies, 8790 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-04-03 9:44 PM (#23368)
Subject: Why is LQ door almost always on curb side

LQ doors are almost always on the curb side of a trailer. What is reason for this???  Seems like it would be better on same side as escape door and mangers if you have them.   
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-03 10:56 PM (#23371 - in reply to #23368)
Subject: RE: Why is LQ door almost always on curb side

Expert

I don't know any official explanation and I've never been on a horse trailer CAB(customer advisory board) design team, but I'll hazard a guess.

Not everyone that uses the LQ part can be assumed to be horse savvy, traffic savvy or even savvy, e.g. those that we politely refer to as relatives, friends, insignificant others, etc. There might be some assumption that those people would be safer if kept out of the traffic stream if/when the trailer is stopped at the side of the road or at a rest stop. At events there are definite benefits to separating the campers from the riders (-:
On a slant load trailer there is more wall length for it on the curb side, assuming the usual head to left/forwards config for the stalls.
I see the "running around between escape door and LQ door" issue, but a through door can (partly)solve that as long as you're not actually escaping. There may be some who believe that the more separation between LQ and horse areas the better.

I really don't know, maybe thats part of the reason I don't DO slants (-:
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 1:23 AM (#23373 - in reply to #23368)

Extreme Veteran

Mine is on street side, as are many that I've seen. The best set up would be LQ door on curb side, since most camp grounds are set up for that side, and a walk thru door so you could enter the escape from street side and proceed into LQ.
Bill W
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 5:24 AM (#23375 - in reply to #23368)

Regular

My trailer lq door is on the drivers side. I wish it was on the curb side, for as mentioned campground setup and if you have to pull off onto the side of the road it would make it easier/safer to get in and out of.
MichaelD
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 6:55 AM (#23376 - in reply to #23368)

Regular

Our LQ door is on the driver side also.I don't mind it being on that side except when it is time to dump the holding tanks.The tank valves are on the passenger side and most dumpstations are set up to dump from the driver side.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 8:47 AM (#23383 - in reply to #23368)

Extreme Veteran

I noticed this weekend camping that the trailers that have the living quarters installed or were meant to have one installed had the door on the curb side. However, those trailers that had smaller dressing rooms had the door on the driver side. This was the case for many trailers including Hart, Sundowner, Featherlite and many more. It really depended on the size of the interior space. We saw many of the trailers that were made by the same company have different configurations as to where they put their doors. What drew my attention was two Sundowners parked side by side. The one with the factory installed living quarters backed into the site to be on the right side of the campsite. The one that only had a dressing room had to pull through since the door was on the opposite side.
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 11:07 AM (#23392 - in reply to #23368)

Veteran

Hi all,

Our last trailer along with our present one has the door on the curb side. As someone stated in another reply most campgrounds are set up for this configuration.Since our main use for this trailer is for camping with the horses we never even considered a trailer with the camper door on the street side.The place that we camp (Natchez Trace State Park,Tn.) which I've read others post on having rode & camped there would know that the door on the street side their would put you overlooking a drop off away from the picnic table,b.b.q.grill,and pickit line.Maybe folks that event have their reasons for wanting a drivers side door but for us their is no question about it.

tripper_t57
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 10:05 PM (#23437 - in reply to #23368)

According to some salesmen and a rv mfg company the hookups for rv compliant vehicles are all on the drivers side. So, the best option for the water storage tank is on that side and the best place for the water storage tank is under the couch, since that space is not good for storage access. In trailers with a 6' or 8'(or longer) short wall things just work out better with the sofa on the driver's side with the water tank underneath. That means the door is on the curb side. If the tank was on the opposite side, the water fill would have to be higher to get the water to run into the tank, plus your water fill line would be longer and cross the width of the trailer, if the quarters are rv certified.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 5:10 AM (#23440 - in reply to #23368)

Extreme Veteran

I have 6' short wall with door on street side, and my LQ is RVIA Certified. Water tank is under bench along bulkhead wall.

On a side note, my conversion company (Whinny Cargo in Ozark, Mo) did an AWSOME job. You can check them out at http://www.whinnycargo.com.

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-05 10:17 AM (#23449 - in reply to #23440)

Elite Veteran

I have had trailers with the LQ door on the curb side and the street side. I would rather have it on the street side and would not own another trailer otherwise. I spend less time going under the gooseneck now, than I did when it was on the curb side.  I have an 8'sw and I am doing my own LQ. The sofa and bathroom are (will be) on the lw and kitchen and door on the sw. Where we camp, there are campsites for either way, and it just depends on if you pull in or back in. As for why manufactures place them on one side vs the other...I have no idea. But most trailers around here have them on the driver's (street) side.
Zane
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 2:42 PM (#23467 - in reply to #23368)

bcranch, Hi, two reasons generally play into the location of the dress or L.Q. door.  In an unfinished dressing room, the door is most often put in the "short-wall" (street-side) unless specified by customer or dealer.  This gives the longer wall for cabinetry,dinettes,wardrobes,etc. that people may consider putting in at a later date without being broken-up by a door.  A reason many people opt to put the dress door and awning on the curb-side is so no "oops" occur when opening the escape door and having it possibly tear the awning fabric with the cam-lock latch of the escape door.  By the way--all of Sundowners floor plans are certified through T.R. Arnolds.  It doesn,t matter which side your door is on !!!!  Many floorplans are reversed to suit a particular customers needs.  Walk around a few trailers and you will see that some companies respond to individual needs better than other companies do.  Hope this helps,  Zane.

tripper_t57
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-04-06 9:33 PM (#23517 - in reply to #23368)

I think some folks may have misunderstood my previous post concerning rv certified lq's. When you go to an rv park, all the hookups are on the driver's side. In a rv certified trailer or rv, all the connections are on the driver's side. So, if the water tank is on the curb side, your water fill line must cross the trailer at a height above the top of the tank, if the lq is rv certified. There are many trailers that have the tank on the curb side-they just have to run the fill line a longer distance and from a greater height in order to get the drop necessary to fill the tank. Or, you can have a home-built trailer that has the fill anywhere you want it.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-04-06 11:32 PM (#23522 - in reply to #23440)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rockyrider on 2005-04-05 5:10 AM

I have 6' short wall with door on street side, and my LQ is RVIA Certified

All my hook ups are on curb side. 

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 8:31 AM (#23565 - in reply to #23368)

Elite Veteran

Most travel trailers and motor homes have the utility hookups on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is no right or wrong side with enty door to your LQ trailer. Floor plans, short walls and other things determine where the door will be in the trailer. Our LQ 3H slant has the door on the street side and I like it that way. All the drains and hookups are on the other side away from the street. Once in a while I have to jockey the rig around to match up to a dump station designed for the street side hookup. It's never been a problem and I wouldn't switch for the same reason that Krys said. Happy trails.
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 12:00 PM (#23573 - in reply to #23368)

I hate to disagree, but most travel trailers have the utility hook-ups on the street side of the trailer and most campgrounds are set up for the utilities to be on the street side also. When I started looking for a LQ trailer several years ago, most of what I found had the hook-ups and the door on the street side. Since the trailer was to be used for more than primitive horse camping, this made no sense to me. At this point I believe I'm in the majority because at least in this part of the country I see predominately LQ trailers with the door on the curb side. I don't want to set under the awning triping over the sewer hook-up. It's on the other side out of the way. Just my opinion.
bchamber
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-08 2:47 PM (#23584 - in reply to #23368)

New User

Most camping areas are set up for the door to be on the curb side.  electric and water are on the driver side.  I for one do like stepping out possibly onto the sewer valve under the door when it is located on the driver side nor the electric wiring and water lines.  Personal preference I guess.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-08 9:22 PM (#23591 - in reply to #23565)

Elite Veteran

Sorry everyone and Hogman is right. Guess I was having a caffeine withdrawal this morning. My apologies. I had my right and left mixed up this morning, probably due to cold meds and a cold. My LQ entry door is on the street side and my hookups are on the curb side, which is the opposite of the norm like hogman said. Happy trails.
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-09 9:10 PM (#23624 - in reply to #23368)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has days like that.  Have a good one.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)