'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Wiring & Steps to finishing a LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-04 2:19 PM
4 replies, 4462 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GAYLE
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-01 12:42 PM (#23302)
Subject: Wiring & Steps to finishing a LQ

I have 2 questions:

What are the steps to finishing ?  What would you do 1st, 2nd  3rd etc??  Insulation, wiring, plywood???  I want to learn from those who have worked thru trial and error.

Also, how do you run your wiring?  Do you leave room in your insulation for it, run it thru you cabinets or ceiling??  Do you have outlets like in your house, flush with the walls?  What if you want to have the small canister lights in the ceiling?

Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Gayle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 3:22 PM (#23313 - in reply to #23302)
Subject: RE: Wiring & Steps to finishing a LQ

Veteran

First in any project is the PLAN! Know where your converter, inverter, outlets, and major "appliances" (AC, pump, lights) will be.

Then "rough-in" wiring (plumbing, gas?) and leave the wire ends free to attach the ends to source and load later, try to avoid drilling too many holes in the frame. Make sure any metal edges are smooth where wires will contact them (drilled holes) or use rubber bushings.

Insulation and furring was next in my plan. Work around your wiring, etc. Plan your furring strips to support the final paneling or plywood (top and bottom) and about every 16" on center. I tried to have furring or wood studs lined up to also support cabinetry later on.

Plywood, paneling and wall surface would be next. I chose to install surface mount wiring on the outside of paneling for my 110 volt outlets. This method is easy to add onto later and provides some wire (conduit) protection. The surface mount wiring has shallow outlet boxes, as I thought that standard boxes would stick out too much (even if mounted within the wall space).

Lighting is usually 12 volt and you'll only need to RUN a "hot" wire. A ground can be picked up at the destination of your eletrical load by tapping into the frame. You'll have to evaluate each separate appliance load individually as to mounting depth.

Hope this helps, and realize these are just my thoughts and opinions...

GAYLE
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 8:24 AM (#23380 - in reply to #23313)

Thanks for your input.  I have been told by a few people to run the wiring thru the cabinets, which seems like a simple way, but wanted to know what others found that worked.  I was not sure on the outlets as the boxes were deeper that the walls would be too.  If you put them on top of the insulation  they would stick out even further or do you not need the insulation behind them?? 
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-04 12:30 PM (#23399 - in reply to #23302)

Veteran

I think it would be best to get some insulation behind the outlet boxes to prevent condensation problems. You could look into shallow outlet boxes or surface mounted wiring kits. They don't have as much room as standard boxes, but if you keep it simple...they will work safely.

GAYLE
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 2:19 PM (#23416 - in reply to #23302)

I thought you should have insulation behind it. 

Have you ever put the mini canister lights in the ceiling?  How does that work?  I assume you have to drop the ceiling somewhat to accomodate the depth of the can.

Thanks,

Gayle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World