'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blanket Rip - How to Fix

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-05 4:10 PM
5 replies, 4148 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 11:35 AM (#23297)
Subject: Blanket Rip - How to Fix

Veteran

The outcast of my herd ripped his blanket last night. It is a huge rip following the side of top-of-the-back seam. I am not much of a seamtress so was thinking an iron on patch or something like that would work to fix this...Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 4:29 PM (#23316 - in reply to #23297)
Subject: RE: Blanket Rip - How to Fix

Expert

I've tried patches and seam tape.  They don't hold long.  I use waxed thread and just sew it up by hand.  I over lap the fabric so that if water runs down it, it goes can't run into the seam.  Not the prettiest job in the world, but it works and I don't have to replace blankets every year. 

Oh, I also spray all the blankets with a water repellent.  Not that we get much rain here, but it does get foggy and misty.  It helps keep the lining dry.

Edited by Terri 2005-04-01 4:32 PM
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-04-02 2:36 PM (#23345 - in reply to #23297)

Regular

I like to use heavy waxed dental floss and a heavy needle- sew it by hand.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-05 10:38 AM (#23451 - in reply to #23297)

Elite Veteran

My local feed store has a "blanket Lady". I drop off all my blankets there to get repaired and I have them back the next week. They come back washed too! It usually costs about $10-$20 for washing and repairs. Way worth it to me since I could spend at least $5 in quarters per blanket at the laundry mat and I hate sewing. She knows her blankets and never had one (mostly heavy weight turnout blankets) leak from the rain.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-05 11:17 AM (#23452 - in reply to #23297)

Expert

If the blanket is nylon or polyester - an iron-on patch probably WILL NOT WORK as the heat from the iron would most likely melt the fabric, the insulation (if any), and lining unless the blanket is canvas.

Attempting to sew, by hand, an iron-on patch will be another nightmare. 

Everyplace that you push a needle through will create a hole for rain to come through and will need to be sealed.

There are fabric glues - be sure to get one that is water-proof. Another possibility is to find something called Shoe-Goo. You need to pull the edges of the rip together and overlap them slightly if possible, then glue a new piece of fabric over the edges. Weight it heavily until it dries fully. Make sure that ANY edges or seams are on the outside so that they do not rub the horse.  When you cut the fabric piece, round the corners of it to help them lay flat.

If you want to sew it, then use dental floss as someone else suggested. Bring the edges together on the outside and "whip" stitch it (edges sticking up, then go through all layers, pull floss over the top of the edges, go through all layers again, etc.)  Use a balloon (cut off the neck of the balloon) on your fingers to grip the needle with or use pliers.

Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-05 4:10 PM (#23473 - in reply to #23297)

Veteran

Krys -- I think that is the most perfect thing I have ever heard....I would definitely be willing to pay for someone else to fix it b/c I am sure to mess it up and then I will have to buy a new blanket and I will have wasted my time trying to fix it. I will be saved if I can round up someone like that in my area.BTW, the blanket is a medium weight, water-proof & wind proof canvas turnout blanket, if this helps with any other suggestions.

Edited by Lynn0202 2005-04-05 4:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)