'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cleaning Aluminum floors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-07 6:22 AM
14 replies, 9491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pellstonmi
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 9:54 AM (#23287)
Subject: Cleaning Aluminum floors

Well folks, I finally got my "new" trailer. It's a 1993 Hart. I love it but I didn't do my homework well enough. I bought it long distance and when I got it I discovered that the floor has some corrosion including some small holes! I don't think they are threatening the integrity of the floor but I certainly want to arrest the corrosion and try to prevent further degradation. Here are my questions:

1)Is there any special cleaning or treatment agent I should use on the floor to get it good and clean and to arrest the current corrosion?

2)What about the mats? I assume they are impregnated with urine or whatever it is that causes the corrosion. Is there something I should use on them to clean them really well?

3)Is it a good idea to use that spray on bedliner stuff (Rhino Liner?) on an aluminum floor to seal it off?

Any other advice you have for me is most welcome!

Thanks,

Diane
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-01 11:16 AM (#23294 - in reply to #23287)
Subject: RE: Cleaning Aluminum floors

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on your "new" used trailer!! I have used a product called Zep Alum to clean and shine up the aluminum. I bought mine from West Branch Tank & Trailer, not too far from you! It works very well!!

The spray on Rhino lining idea is a good idea, but can be costly depending on the size of your horse area. It is slick stuff, I have it in two trucks and love it. It has been mentioned on here previously about buying a similiar product from the Home Depot or Lowes. You could do a search on this forum for past discussions on spray on liner or Rhino Lining.

Try bleach on the rubber mats and hot water.

Good luck!!!

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-01 11:45 AM (#23299 - in reply to #23287)

Expert

Originally written by pellstonmi on 2005-04-01 9:54 AM

Well folks, I finally got my "new" trailer. It's a 1993 Hart. I love it but I didn't do my homework well enough. I bought it long distance and when I got it I discovered that the floor has some corrosion including some small holes! I don't think they are threatening the integrity of the floor but I certainly want to arrest the corrosion and try to prevent further degradation. Here are my questions:

1)Is there any special cleaning or treatment agent I should use on the floor to get it good and clean and to arrest the current corrosion?

2)What about the mats? I assume they are impregnated with urine or whatever it is that causes the corrosion. Is there something I should use on them to clean them really well?

3)Is it a good idea to use that spray on bedliner stuff (Rhino Liner?) on an aluminum floor to seal it off?

Any other advice you have for me is most welcome!

Thanks,

Diane

CONGRATS !

I hate to rain on your floor, but I think MY priority would be to get the strength/integrity of the floor back.
If it has holes it is very likely to also have thin spots (almost holes). You might have to get plate overlayed before going any farther with this, right now I'd be nervous about stepping on it myself for fear of falling through. At least have it evaluated by someone who KNOWS trailers before you put an animal in it. Could a 200+ lb person jump up and down ANYWHERE (and everywhere) on that floor and be confident that they wouldn't punch through ?

I really DO hope I'm wrong and overreacting.
pellstonmi
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 12:15 PM (#23300 - in reply to #23299)

Originally written by Reg on 2005-04-01 11:45 AM

CONGRATS !

I hate to rain on your floor, but I think MY priority would be to get the strength/integrity of the floor back.
If it has holes it is very likely to also have thin spots (almost holes). You might have to get plate overlayed before going any farther with this, right now I'd be nervous about stepping on it myself for fear of falling through. At least have it evaluated by someone who KNOWS trailers before you put an animal in it. Could a 200+ lb person jump up and down ANYWHERE (and everywhere) on that floor and be confident that they wouldn't punch through ?

I really DO hope I'm wrong and overreacting.

I appreciate your concern! My 200 lb. friend was able to jump up and down on one foot on the thin spots. Luckily, although there are some small thin spots around the holes they seem like they are still strong. The thin spots are about 3" diameter with maybe a 1/4" hole in the center. They are not close enough together that it is weakening the floor, IMO, and even right on top of them the floor seems strong. I was amazed that a hole would form with the floor around it still staying strong but that is the way it appears.

I did mean to ask though whether anyone had suggestions for strengthening the floor if it does become weak. I suppose worse case scenario would be putting plywood down?

Another thing I meant to ask:

Do all trailer's axles have a bend to them? This is the second trailer I have owned and both have had what appear to be "bent" axles. The axles are higher in the center than at the outer ends. Is this the way they are supposed to be or is it common for trailer axles to get bent?

Thanks,

Diane

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-01 1:43 PM (#23307 - in reply to #23300)

Expert

Another thing I meant to ask: Do all trailer's axles have a bend to them? This is the second trailer I have owned and both have had what appear to be "bent" axles. The axles are higher in the center than at the outer ends. Is this the way they are supposed to be or is it common for trailer axles to get bent? Thanks, Diane

Yes .. All trailer axles have this bend to provide "camber" to the wheels.  Or the "bend" is in the spindles.  Otherwise you will wear the tires unevenly.

spinnin and grinnin
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 5:23 PM (#23321 - in reply to #23287)

spinnin and grinnin
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 5:26 PM (#23322 - in reply to #23287)

My friend was inspecting her Exiss and found welds broken under the hind feet of her horse. Thank heavens they discovered it before any disaster happened! The structrual integrity should be first and foremost on any trailer, including aluminum, so please check the floors from UNDERNEATH also before you haul too far, or at all!! She had used the trailer daily for one or two horses over good roads.....so check all brands for any unsafe parts. Mine is a C&C and is super....
spinnin and grinnin
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-04-01 5:32 PM (#23324 - in reply to #23287)

Upon reading your other posts about jumping on the area, a horse has got to put more lbs per sq in on a trailer floor than a human with the weight distributed over a larger area...the foot is longer...than a horses small foot.....I would never put a horse in a trailer like that without putting in a new floor or completely reinforcing the old one..call the Hart company and ask them for advice. I have had wonderful help from any trailer mfg. I have ever called with questions. Good Luck and stay safe.
horsedad
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-02 10:38 PM (#23347 - in reply to #23287)

Been there,done that. Called everywhere for advise and procrastenated while the trailer was purchased by another party. Here are some ideas that I received from dealers and some folks on the forum. Clean the floor and definitely check under the floor for additional corrosion. Stay clear of the acid wash. It may cause additional brittleness. A local welder quoted a new aluminum floor over the existing floor for $850. Then new mats. Another company guaranteed that werm could be put directly onto the damaged floor after cleaning and it would provide adequate support. It was going to cost about $1500. This would solve several problems including the need for mats. The people that have werm seem to love the stuff. I was not satisfied that the do-it-yourself spray-on would work even after talking to a rep. I still liked the idea of a wood over the damaged floor. Cherokee said no way. I'd still look into it. Good luck.
pellstonmi
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-04-03 9:07 AM (#23349 - in reply to #23347)

Originally written by horsedad on 2005-04-02 10:38 PM

Been there,done that. Called everywhere for advise and procrastenated while the trailer was purchased by another party. Here are some ideas that I received from dealers and some folks on the forum. Clean the floor and definitely check under the floor for additional corrosion. Stay clear of the acid wash. It may cause additional brittleness. A local welder quoted a new aluminum floor over the existing floor for $850. Then new mats. Another company guaranteed that werm could be put directly onto the damaged floor after cleaning and it would provide adequate support. It was going to cost about $1500. This would solve several problems including the need for mats. The people that have werm seem to love the stuff. I was not satisfied that the do-it-yourself spray-on would work even after talking to a rep. I still liked the idea of a wood over the damaged floor. Cherokee said no way. I'd still look into it. Good luck.

I am not familiar with the word "werm" but I assume this is spray on bedliner type stuff? How does this provide support?

I am still looking for recommendations on cleaning agents.

I notice you mention new mats if you had kept an aluminum floor. Was this because the old mats would be so impregnated with urine that they would always be a source of corrosion?

Thanks,

Diane
horsedad
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-04-03 9:05 PM (#23364 - in reply to #23287)

Do a search for Werm on the internet. It is basically spray in mats. It is about 5/8 -3/4 in. thick and seals like the spray in bedliner. It replaces the need for mats or possibly bedding. The idea according to a rep is that once the corrosion is stopped and you spray this on, it would be the equivalent of putting a mat over a pinhole. You would never know that it was there. Of course if the support beams under the floor are close enough you won't have any trouble. They were about 5 inches apart on the trailer we looked at. I'm not sure but I still like the wood over the aluminum and then seal it or vice versa so that urine want continue to destroy the aluminum. I cleaned my neighbor's trailer floor with baking soda. The stuff offered by dealers is about the same. It neutralizes the acid. You may want to try a small area first. Again several people on this forum warned me that the acid wash might cause additional problems. I would talk to a trailer dealer about this. They clean the floors as a business. I wish I could help more. I never had a chance to try any of the ideas that everyone gave me.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-04-03 11:20 PM (#23372 - in reply to #23300)

Expert

QUOTE:
I appreciate your concern! My 200 lb. friend was able to jump up and down on one foot on the thin spots. Luckily, although there are some small thin spots around the holes they seem like they are still strong. The thin spots are about 3" diameter with maybe a 1/4" hole in the center. They are not close enough together that it is weakening the floor, IMO, and even right on top of them the floor seems strong. I was amazed that a hole would form with the floor around it still staying strong but that is the way it appears.
END QUOTE:

The size of the thin spots and the center hole suggest to me that they have been "puddles of pee". If they are approximately where the horses' hooves would be while travelling then I'd guess the previous owner had a stomper and didn't wash under the mats very often or use shaving to absorb the urine. I have SERIOUS doubt about the integrity of this floor, notwithstanding that a 200+ plus person can hop around on it.
I don't think werm is a solution, just a cover-up. Plywood is worse, it WOULD split/flake/splinter, 2 x 6 rough sawn oak or syp - maybe, but I think the real solution is a repair of the metal floor with METAL ! After that either new mats or werm if you want to spend the money to save the labor.

trailer-bright
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-04-04 8:08 PM (#23435 - in reply to #23287)

okay
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-06 1:30 AM (#23489 - in reply to #23287)

Expert

Diane-After you get your floor problem fixed,if going with another aluminum floor,I swear by EQ Solutions cleaning products.They make a wash for aluminum that is not harsh called Red Kwick Wash II,also good for the exterior of an aluminum trailer.Their website is www.eqsolutions.com,I believe.They have distributors in most states that can help you out.I use their horse Body Wash,Soil Release,and Truck and Trailer Wash on my steel 2H.I used it before I ever saw Clint Anderson using it,and I love it.It is economical and easy.And no,I'm not a distributor.I may just sound like one!

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-04-07 6:22 AM (#23525 - in reply to #23287)

Extreme Veteran

The WERM Floor is actually poured on and troweled out, much like floating concrete.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)