'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
To Dually or Not to Dually

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-04-08 7:05 PM
26 replies, 8392 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

allarounder2000
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-21 2:28 PM (#22834)
Subject: To Dually or Not to Dually

I've done a search on past posts and wonder if we can summarize the advantages and disadvantages of duallys. I'm debating on moving up to a dually and want to try to learn everything I can before taking the leap.

My new trailer is a 28' 4H, MT with 6' LQ, mangers. Haven't pulled it to the CO-Op to weight it yet. I generally haul one horse within 300 miles of home but plan a few 1k trips. (Not sure how we ended up with a 4 Horse, but I do haul lots of extra stuff to the shows). Tag on trailer says 6700lbs but not sure if this is before or after LQ.

Wondering if a 1 Ton SRW would be safe or should I just go with a 1 ton DRW. More than likely it will be another diesel.

Currently have a 2004 F250 Ext 4x4 Long Box Auto 3:73

Advantages: Stability, no trailer sway.

Security if (we hope not) theres a blowout

Disadvantages: Extra Tire cost

Difficult to manuver around

What am I missing? Just trying to prevent buying errors.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 3:16 PM (#22837 - in reply to #22834)
Subject: RE: To Dually or Not to Dually

Expert

I don't haul with a dually. Neither does my Ford dealer and he could ahve any truck on his lot if he so choose.

I'm thinking that weight is before the LQ was added as most are...the weight was from the factory before the LQ was installed (even if it was a factory LQ...the LQ is usually installed by another division.)
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 3:23 PM (#22838 - in reply to #22834)

Elite Veteran

Check the real weight at COOP. Almost no one puts curb weight on the trailer ID tag. At least none of the major aluminum mfg. do. What you are seeing is probably the GVWR in Kg.

RTSmith

SelectTrailer

allarounder2000
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-21 4:16 PM (#22842 - in reply to #22834)

I've been told  that a dually isn't that great on ice and snow. I use my truck for a daily driver, and living in South Dakota we get plenty of both.

Think I'm getting paranoid in my old age - worried most about a blow out. I've never even driven a dually before.

I'd read on here about using the 250 lbs per foot calculation and then adding LQ length times 250 to get approximate weight. That would put this trailer at 9500 without my junk.

I've read so much on this site about people being undertrucked that I really want to be overtrucked!

allarounder2000
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-21 4:18 PM (#22843 - in reply to #22838)

I'll read the label again. There wasn't a weight posted on the title either. You'd think it would be in pounds and not kilograms.

RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 4:57 PM (#22844 - in reply to #22843)

Extreme Veteran

This is my second dually.  Keep in mind the truck is not my daily driver. If it was, I might reconsider a dually. It takes a little more thought to manuver them around, drive-through's can be challenging but my wife manages.  It usually takes 2 parking spots to park it, one is just too tight and cars will crowd you.  That's the down side for me.  The upside, it pulls excellent and is very stable.   For me, the pros outweigh the cons.  
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 5:59 PM (#22845 - in reply to #22844)

Expert

The extra width isn't really isn't that much, the extra stability REALLY IS THAT MUCH.
If you're dragging a 28ft floor trailer around behind you the relative manouverability of the truck is insignificant, in any case you get used to it quite quickly. The Chevvy/GMC has a somewhat narrower overall rear track than the other two (of the now smaller big 3), so if you want/need to use drive up windows at McBarfKing and have short arms you might still be able to do that with a GM.

Ummm, yes the rear end will "FLOAT" a little easier on snow/ice if the truck is empty, this can also be very GOOD in muddy fields. I really HATE seeing SRW trucks digging ruts at shows, the DRWs float through a lot better. You can also increas floatation by going to oversized tires, "the joy of aquaplaning on 285s"
Tire wear/cost... The inners wear a little faster than the outers, but you don't wear out 6 tires in the same distance as you would wear out 4 on the SRW, the 4 on the back certainly go farther than 2 on the back but not twice as far. So, its a_nother couple of hundred bucks every however many tens of thousand miles - not a HUGE deal.
You might pay slightly higher license plate fees. Around here I pay tolls on another "pair of wheels" since most tolls used to be figured on the number of axles, anyway its trivial unless you pay a lot of tolls and use the truck as a daily commuter.
What else ? PARTS !
DO NOT let your brakes wear down until the metal hits the disks. I know that on 1 ton 4WD recent Fords that front rotor is very expen$ive and I doubt that it is much cheaper on the GMs.

If you're in any doubt (and you seem to be) go with the DRW.
Anyone with ONE horse and a 4 horse trailer PROBABLY has plans for herd expansion, even if not yet declared openly to all the other family members. Overtrucked is just about always better than undertrucked.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-21 8:17 PM (#22851 - in reply to #22834)

Expert

My main problem with a dually is that it won't fit in my garage.  If I'm gonna  pay 40 $zillion for a truck I would like to protect it.

A friend of mine has different sized tires on his rear tires.  The inside tires are slightly smaller than the outside ones.  He said he does it because if he's not carrying a heavy load there is no need for the 2 xtra tires and when he is he just lets a bit of air out of the 2 larger ones and he has 4 tires again.  It may not be right (or legal) but it works for him and he doesn't wear out the inner tires as quick.

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-03-21 9:51 PM (#22854 - in reply to #22834)

Extreme Veteran

We have both a F-250 and a F-350 with a DRW and there is no comparison in the stabilty and control that you have with the DRW.  Both trucks pull the same load, however, there is less sway and you feel like you are in control of the load instead of the load controlling you.  I have the F-250 with a 4x4 to be able to use this when hauling seed and grain wagons across fields.  Unless you have the 4x4 option on a dually, you will be stuck more times than you care to if you have to venture off road or even in the ice.  We don't have that much ice down this way, so the 2wd on the dually does just fine on the road.  I would strongly recommend the F-350 DRW with a 4x4 option. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-21 10:03 PM (#22855 - in reply to #22851)

Expert

Originally written by Terri on 2005-03-21 9:17 PM

My main problem with a dually is that it won't fit in my garage. If I'm gonna pay 40 $zillion for a truck I would like to protect it.

A friend of mine has different sized tires on his rear tires. The inside tires are slightly smaller than the outside ones. He said he does it because if he's not carrying a heavy load there is no need for the 2 xtra tires and when he is he just lets a bit of air out of the 2 larger ones and he has 4 tires again. It may not be right (or legal) but it works for him and he doesn't wear out the inner tires as quick.

There is something a bit odd about paying $40 or 50K for a truck and then putting it in it's own special house (or devoting a part of the house you live in) just to protect it from the weather. Have you measured the GM/Chev ? They really are narrower, though I forget by how much. Another thing that keeps mine narrow is that I don't have dem phat phen_dah phlares. I opted for an aluminum flatbed, not that I'm much about truck appearance but I think it looks "better".

I'd be interested in the details of your friend's rear tire configuration, specifically rim and tire sizes and what vehicle he has done this with. At first glance it seems whacky, but he might be onto something. It is at least possible that the RIGHT configuration could work very well. I suspect the inner tires would automatically come into use when the truck is loaded. I don't like the idea of running the outer tires softer when heavily loaded than when lightly loaded. I do like the idea of having the compliance of two tires at the back when lightly loaded.
Cheaper than a lift axle (-:
DANG ! This is going to cost me some sleep (-:

Edited by Reg 2005-03-21 10:10 PM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-03-22 5:48 AM (#22863 - in reply to #22834)

Extreme Veteran

If you want a dually for hauling and can afford the new truck I wouldn't worry about size... my Chev 2500 - ext cab long box SRW takes up 2 parking sports in most malls.... I mean really - a SRW is not that much smaller. and someone already mentioned this - but if you can handle a 28ft GN, an unloaded dually will not be a problem for you.

My family had a 1991 1 ton ford dually diesel when I was 16 and learning to drive... I loved that truck. I never had a problem with maneuvering it.. and the only problem with drive thrus was the sound - not the duals. As for snow and ice - ours was a 2WD and we live in Canada...east coast - you don't get much more ice than that and it was never a problem.... I did have the front end slide in a ditch on me once when I parked too close to it (the plow marks made the shoulder look wider than it was) but the truck pulled itself out no problem - my father did the same thing once too and my grandfather's tempo pulled it out - lol so it wasn't in there too bad - in 4 years that was the only ice/snow issue with the truck. We also had a new mustang at the same time and at 17 - once the snow flew I wouldn't touch the mustang even with studded tires (that thing was dangerous) - but I drove the dually all winter.

We hauled a steel trailer the exact same size as yours with a primitive LQ.... it hauled like it wasn't even there... I also hauled the same trailer with a 1 ton Chev reg cab SRW... it also hauled it very well. ( same trailer was also hauled with a 1/2 ton - can you say BAD idea???? - and no nothing bad happened but it was appearently not fun to drive to say the least)

I would say you probably don't "need" a dually but they are really nice to haul with and if you want one - go for it I don't think you will regret it.

Edited by MBRA518 2005-03-22 5:52 AM
allarounder2000
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-03-22 8:34 AM (#22866 - in reply to #22834)

My old trailer was 22' - guess I wasn't to worried about the extra 6' length, or should I be!?!

We do have 7 horses but when I show I only haul take one, or maybe a futurity baby. To hard to get more than one ready for the ring. I'm the only one crazy enough in my family to show.

Never do the drive thru thing with a diesel - I don't like turning them off and on.

Our vehicle licensing fees are a combined weight and year of the vehicle - less than $100 a year. No toll roads with hundreds of miles.

I'm not worried about parking - always park a ways out anyway to avoid door dings.

I'm doing my paper research now but will head out to drive a few - I've driven trucks exclusively for the last 15 years. Still am not firm with what I want!

inWA
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-03-22 10:01 AM (#22867 - in reply to #22834)

Veteran

Just a thought on parking in a garage. We have a 2500HD chevy, long bed extended cab, when I put it in the garage I can get the door down. I have about 4 inches in front of the truck and 6 inches behind the bumper. We have a Trail-et Windowshadow eventor that is light and have no problems towing it. But it has no living quarters, and is set up as a two horse. The two horses probably add 3000 lbs, both 17 hand warmbloods. And on this trailer the horses are basically right over the trailer axles.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-22 1:33 PM (#22875 - in reply to #22855)

Expert

There is something a bit odd about paying $40 or 50K for a truck and then putting it in it's own special house (or devoting a part of the house you live in) just to protect it from the weather.

I used to live in the desert and the cars we had there were 'sandblasted' by blowing dust.  I got used to keeping our new car/truck in the garage and would like to continue to do so.  And some friends of ours about had to replace everything on both of their vehicles after the last hail storm.  The car was partly protected since it was under the carport, but the truck lost all the windows, the dash, door pannels, and all the body pannels had to be repaired.  I don't know what the ins. company paid to repair it, but it couldn't have been cheap.  We also have farmers on 2 sides and I hate washing my truck or seeing it covered in dust.  It's just annoying.  I haven't measured the GM or chevy's yet.  I've only checked the dodge place so far.  The general manager lives down the road from us and is friends with my husband. 

I asked my friend about his tires and he said it is a GM (about a 99 I think) and it has a flatbed.  The rims are the same size, but the inner tire is a bit 'shorter'.  Not by much, the tire touches the ground, but doesn't have any/much weight on it.  He also said he only lets out about 5lbs psi (just his guess) on the outer tire when he is hauling so they are both carrying weight.  He didn't remember the size off hand but said he could look when he goes out to the ranch next time.  He said he dad has been doing this for years and that's why he started.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-22 1:41 PM (#22876 - in reply to #22867)

Expert

What size is your garage?  I have a Dodge half ton SWB and it barely fits right now.  When I get a bigger truck, I will have to to take out the workbench that is at the front of the garage, no biggie.  But I only have a few inches clearance on each side as I pull into the garage.  The length isn't much of a problem once the work bench is moved, but I'm not going to tear apart the front of my garage to make the door wider.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-22 1:42 PM (#22877 - in reply to #22866)

Expert

Never do the drive thru thing with a diesel - I don't like turning them off and on.

Why would you have to turn it off and on?  I kinda thought that was the whole point of using the drive thru.  Don't have to get out or turn the car off.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-22 3:52 PM (#22883 - in reply to #22834)

Expert

I use my diesel in the drive through. I pull up until the back doors are level with the speaker box and then order. The engine is so far in front of the microphone it isn't a problem.It took me a long time to figure this out but it works everytime now!
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-03-24 8:50 PM (#22999 - in reply to #22834)

Veteran

I much prefer a dually over a SRW for pulling a large trailer. My dad decided to do a "good thing" a few years ago and traded our '99 dodge cummings dually for a '03 (or 04, can't remember) dodge cummings (the new one) 3500 with SRW. I pulled with it once and went back to the dealership to BEG for my dually back. The dually just felt much more stable...or it could just be me. I really don't like this new truck at all compared to the '99. Of course, I prefer my '79 dodge lil' red express over them all...bet that would look cute hooked to my 27' w/ 8' lq :-)

rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-24 11:33 PM (#23004 - in reply to #22834)

Extreme Veteran

Oh my God, you guys are still at it !! Man, it has been a long time since I viewed this website. What I think about a dually is that you need 45,000 dollars to get one and another 45,000 dollars to get a single rear wheel (should be a 4X4) truck. Whatever brand you like. Lets see, carry the one, that's 90,000 dollars !!! I still have my F350 2003 dually and it is still going strong. The latest thing I did to it was put a conversion kit so the rear wheels are now running 19.5 inch wheels and tires. I run regional/interstate 16 ply tires and should get 150,000 miles out of them.You all that run the single rear wheels can get a daully adaptor and then the 8 lug to 10 lug adaptor and run the 19.5 inch or even the 22.5 inch wheel rims and then you are able to run the big rig tires. The 22.5 inch wheels would not fit under my truck since it is lowered to pull goosenecks.The other thing you can do is buy an F450. I thought the latter would be a bit too much for my needs.Most of us that would even think about this are using big Gooseneck trailers.
rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-24 11:37 PM (#23005 - in reply to #22845)

Extreme Veteran

Wow, Reg. Elite Veteran hey !? Purdy impressive !!
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-25 6:53 AM (#23006 - in reply to #23005)

Expert

Originally written by rimshoes on 2005-03-24 12:37 AM

Wow, Reg. Elite Veteran hey !? Purdy impressive !!

The problem is in finding the ones with worthwhile content (-:
SOMEBODY has over a thousand posts in here and her ^&$%#* didn't fall off, as far as we know.

{this makes one more, not that we're counting...}
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-25 6:56 AM (#23007 - in reply to #22834)

Rimshoe, can you explain why you changed rear tire size? What size trailer do you pull?
rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-25 9:00 AM (#23009 - in reply to #23007)

Extreme Veteran

My truck sorta fell into the hands of a cowgirl that has been hauling for YEARS. The bigger goosenecks the truck hauls now started to wear the rear tires fairly hard. The bigger size wheels allow one to run "big rig" tires that are 16 ply regional/interstate tires that can be inflated to 95 pounds. The milage expected out of these tires are about 150,000 miles ve. about 25,000 with the 16 inch 8 and 10 ply tires (hualing heavy loads alot). The bigger tires are rated an "H". The 16 inch tires are usually rated E or F at best.
HOGMAN
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-25 9:44 AM (#23010 - in reply to #23009)

If you are hauling trailer(s) heavy enough to cause excess wear on the tires you either have to be hauling very heavy loads or the rear end is out of alignment. Assuming it's the load causing the problem you would have to assume that you're at or above the truck's capacity. Adding larger tires is not going to increase the capacity of the truck. And adding the larger tires to a truck that is already carrying a heavy load don't help the problem of final drive gear ratio. Sounds like you have a catch 22 on your hands.
rimshoes
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-03-29 3:16 PM (#23141 - in reply to #23010)

Extreme Veteran

You have no idea. Put 15 inch LT tires on a boat trailer that hauls a 30 foot boat and then put 16 inch truck tires with an E rating and see how much more wear you will get compared to the LT 15 inch tires. Ther is NO catch 22 here, just common sense.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)