'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New tires front or back?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-10-07 2:45 PM
4 replies, 2089 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mrarick
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2019-10-02 1:36 PM (#172752)
Subject: New tires front or back?

On my dual axle trailer, I experienced a blowout plus minimal damage on the tire on the same side so I decided to replace both tires. The two tires on the other side are fairly new and in great shape so I didn't replace them. I'm putting one new tire on each side for balance. My question is do I want the new tires on the front or back? The new tires are slightly better (load range E vs D).

Edited by mrarick 2019-10-02 1:38 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2019-10-03 3:04 AM (#172753 - in reply to #172752)
Subject: RE: New tires front or back?

Elite Veteran

I am not a tire expert, but if your trailer is level I would not think it would not matters. If the nose is high then I think they would be better in the back. We have some knowledgeable people on here that I hope will chime in. 
mrarick
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2019-10-07 10:14 AM (#172763 - in reply to #172752)

UPDATE: I posted the same question on eTrailer and received the following detailed response:

New tires all around would be ideal. The front axle will usually carry more of the weight, but the rear wheels will wear sooner due scrubbing or skidding on trailer turns.

In addition to front or back consideration, another is also which axle has brakes and is it a straight or torsion axle? If both have brakes then put new tires on the rear axle if it is a regular straight axle; but if the trailer uses torsion axles put them on the front axle.

If no trailer brakes then I would put the new tires on the front axle since it generally carries more of the load than the rear axle.

Because of differences in tread pattern, load capacity, and construction type you may see uneven tire wear, tracking problems, over heating, and suspension issues over time.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2019-10-07 1:26 PM (#172764 - in reply to #172752)

Extreme Veteran

thanks for posting your eTrailer response.  Very interesting and good info!!!! 
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2019-10-07 2:45 PM (#172765 - in reply to #172752)

Elite Veteran

I'm not sure I agree completely with the thought that the front axle carries more weight. Most horse trailers are torsion axles, and most are running a little higher in the front. With that, there will be more weight on the rear axle than the front. There's no way around it as long as the nose is higher.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)