'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leaky roof - elastomeric coating and seal tape?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2018-04-03 7:54 AM
2 replies, 4944 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

paradise.valley59
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2018-03-31 8:46 PM (#171482)
Subject: Leaky roof - elastomeric coating and seal tape?

New User

I'm looking to fix the leaks on the roof of the steel trailer I bought, and was wondering if I could use both seal tape, like EternaBond, and an elastomeric coating, and if so, what order I should use them in.

I think the tape over the seams would stop the leaking, but there's also some small rust patches across the top of the trailer, so I'd like to paint the whole roof with an elastomeric coating as well. I'd prefer to paint over the tape to make the whole roof look more uniform, but I'm not sure how well the coating will stick to the tape.

Also, there are some rust patches inside on the trailer roof as well. Should I just use paint on the inside, or will the elastomeric coating be helpful in there too?

I'd be removing all old caulk and treating rust spots as a first step, of course.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2018-04-01 5:40 PM (#171483 - in reply to #171482)
Subject: RE: Leaky roof - elastomeric coating and seal tape?

Expert

Had a steel trailer many years ago. The roof was rusty and leaked. The roof looked like it was thrown together from pieces laying around. In short it was crap. I fought the leaks with many different ideas.

I would remove all rust to bare metal & prime it. If you don't the rust will return under what ever you use. Paint is a known and reliable system ... like steel horse shoes. Then, I would use the EternaBond tape to seal the seams. Painting or coating the EternaBond is asking for trouble. I think the paint/coating will peel from the EternaBond unless you take extraordinary measures. I've had the bare EternaBond tape on my Sundowner roof for 8 years and it's still water tight.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2018-04-03 7:54 AM (#171487 - in reply to #171482)
Subject: RE: Leaky roof - elastomeric coating and seal tape?

Expert

As was previously noted, all the rust should be removed before any coating is added. This is usually effected by mechanical means such as a wire or nylon brush or sand paper. Once the surface rust is removed, the intergranular rust must also be addressed. This is best removed by using a phospheric acid based product, that will stop the remaining rust and convert the surface to a primer coating, that can then be used by
many surfactants. For many decades I have used a product called "Ospho" on aircraft, boats, trailers and automobiles. It is available from many sources including Amazon, boat yards, aircraft suppliers, and is quite inespensive.

Failure to remove this additional rust can result in a surface where rust can reappear under a new coating that will ruin the final finish. 

?We have successfully used elastomeric coatings on various roof systems, and found them to be especially easy to apply, especially where there are multiple objects (vents, stacks, antennas, escape harches etc.) that penetrate the roofs of many LQ trailers, making taping a little more difficult. When damaged by a falling tree limb, the area was easily repaired by adding more material..  Preparation is the key to a good application of a final finish that will last and be protective.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)