'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why to clean under your trailer mats !@#!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-24 9:42 PM
6 replies, 6189 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-11-12 10:18 PM (#161538)
Subject: Why to clean under your trailer mats !@#!!

Veteran

As part of our pre-purchase inspection, we pulled the trailer mats out of a 2008 “very premium brand” aluminum trailer. The owner, who had owned the trailer since new, said that the mats had “never been out of it”. He had skipped out the trailer, always used lots of wood shavings and hosed out the top of the mats as part of his regular maintenance, but had never actually pulled the mats out.

When we pulled the mats, we found lots of urine residue (yellowish, salt like deposits) which was easily cleaned out using a plastic dust pan as a scraper. Evidence of significant corrosion was present including surface pitting (worming) and a few holes 1/4" to 3/8” in size.

The trailer was fairly premium in all other areas, the floor looked repairable, so with an appropriate discount in price for the floor condition, we purchased the trailer.

Winter is coming upon us, but the first operation when we brought the trailer home was to hose out the trailer followed by a 2 hour detailed pressure washing of the horse compartment floor. Our second inspection after the pressure washing confirmed the presence of significant surface corrosion affecting perhaps 1/3 of the entire floor area – but more concentrated to the middle and back of the trailer in the area where male horses would pee. A total of 7 holes up to 3/8” were discovered. See the attached photos which show the corrosion areas after pressure washing.

The floor still has good structural integrity but come spring we will certainly be acidizing it and applying a box liner material to it to prevent additional corrosion.

I am amazed at the number of people who spend good money on a trailer but fail to maintain them. Corrosion damage on an aluminum trailer is easily preventable with proper maintenance. To protect your investment, clean under your mats regularly and consider applying a coating as outlined by Gard in the “sticky” at the top of the Trailer Talk section of HTW.

Regards, 3CW

(1 Back Horse Compartment.jpg)

(2 Middle Horse Compartment.jpg)

(3 Front Horse Compartment.jpg)

(4 General Corrosion.jpg)

(5 Corrosion Hole.jpg)

(6 Corrosion Holes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 Back Horse Compartment.jpg (117KB - 405 downloads)
Attachments 2 Middle Horse Compartment.jpg (112KB - 342 downloads)
Attachments 3 Front Horse Compartment.jpg (112KB - 298 downloads)
Attachments 4 General Corrosion.jpg (116KB - 288 downloads)
Attachments 5 Corrosion Hole.jpg (118KB - 338 downloads)
Attachments 6 Corrosion Holes.jpg (114KB - 286 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-11-12 11:45 PM (#161540 - in reply to #161538)
Subject: RE: Why to clean under your trailer mats !@#!!

Expert

If your trailer flooring has a lot of corrosion and repairs, I would recommend installing an etching primer before the bed liner material is applied. I use a zinc chromate primer before painting bare aluminum. That plus the etching qualities of the Muriatic acid, will ensure a good bonding surface for subsequent material applications. The bed liner material adheres well to non-primed aluminum if the surface is etched, cleaned and acid treated.http://www.westmarine.com/buy/moeller--zinc-chromate--P004_121_004_507
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-11-13 4:45 AM (#161543 - in reply to #161538)

Expert

I am amazed at how people treat there trailer
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-11-24 10:23 AM (#161746 - in reply to #161538)

Veteran

Gard - Thank you for the advise on the zinc chromate primer. Given the corrision we are faced with, the zinc chromate primer will certainly be part of my repair process. Regards, 3CW
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-11-24 6:07 PM (#161752 - in reply to #161538)

Expert

Originally written by ThreeCW on 2014-11-12 10:18 PM

As part of our pre-purchase inspection, we pulled the trailer mats out of a 2008 “very premium brand” aluminum trailer. The owner, who had owned the trailer since new, said that the mats had “never been out of it”. He had skipped out the trailer, always used lots of wood shavings and hosed out the top of the mats as part of his regular maintenance, but had never actually pulled the mats out. When we pulled the mats, we found lots of urine residue (yellowish, salt like deposits) which was easily cleaned out using a plastic dust pan as a scraper. Evidence of significant corrosion was present including surface pitting (worming) and a few holes 1/4" to 3/8” in size. The trailer was fairly premium in all other areas, the floor looked repairable, so with an appropriate discount in price for the floor condition, we purchased the trailer. Winter is coming upon us, but the first operation when we brought the trailer home was to hose out the trailer followed by a 2 hour detailed pressure washing of the horse compartment floor. Our second inspection after the pressure washing confirmed the presence of significant surface corrosion affecting perhaps 1/3 of the entire floor area – but more concentrated to the middle and back of the trailer in the area where male horses would pee. A total of 7 holes up to 3/8” were discovered. See the attached photos which show the corrosion areas after pressure washing. The floor still has good structural integrity but come spring we will certainly be acidizing it and applying a box liner material to it to prevent additional corrosion. I am amazed at the number of people who spend good money on a trailer but fail to maintain them. Corrosion damage on an aluminum trailer is easily preventable with proper maintenance. To protect your investment, clean under your mats regularly and consider applying a coating as outlined by Gard in the “sticky” at the top of the Trailer Talk section of HTW. Regards, 3CW
Wow...I hope that 6 years was intensive use...
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-11-24 7:36 PM (#161754 - in reply to #161538)

Veteran

I think it was 6 years of NO maintenance. Intensive usage might have had more urine flowing through keeping the floor cleaner

The intent of my posting was to educated other owners on the importance of keeping their floors clean. Who knows, perhaps sometime in the future I might want to buy your trailer :)
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-11-24 9:42 PM (#161764 - in reply to #161754)

Expert

Originally written by ThreeCW on 2014-11-24 7:36 PM

I think it was 6 years of NO maintenance. Intensive usage might have had more urine flowing through keeping the floor cleaner The intent of my posting was to educated other owners on the importance of keeping their floors clean. Who knows, perhaps sometime in the future I might want to buy your trailer :)
Good luck with trying to educate owners...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)