'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Managers in horse trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-11 8:50 PM
2 replies, 5401 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sunnyksgirl
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-01 11:08 PM (#161012)
Subject: Managers in horse trailers

New User

I have a three horse slant with the bag type managers that are held by three snaps.....I tied my horse with her trailer tie, put hay and grain in her manager and somehow during the ride home this past weekend she managed to get a front leg up in the manager. One hook came loose on the manager but two still held....she was unable to get her leg out and somehow managed to balance on three legs for about 25 miles. It was a horrible situation and after freeing her she walked away from what could have been a very bad ending. This same horse somehow got out of her winter blanket last year with the chest buckle still latched and one belly strap still intact......I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a horse get a leg up into the manager. And also, is it better to use a trailer tie or leave loose.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2014-10-02 6:49 AM (#161014 - in reply to #161012)
Subject: RE: Managers in horse trailers

Veteran

Yes, I was hauling a friend's horse in our straight load trailer with a chest bar, solid fabric hag bag, attached by snaps, in front of chest bar. He did same thing, shredding the bag, but when I stopped, after feeling jerks, he had his foot/feet down where they belonged.Hauled same horse, this time put a net hag bag where solid fabric had been, hanging as high as possible.....what was I thinkin'????? You guessed it........went to check on him, and he had both front feet tightly tangled in net hay bag, balancing on his rear feet. Fortunately, he was calm, and we had to cut the bag net strings off his legs, hooves, then put chest bar down. Not hauling friend's horse in my trailer anymore!
jorenn22
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-11 8:50 PM (#161107 - in reply to #161012)
Subject: RE: Managers in horse trailers

New User

I use a small loop of bailing twine to attach my trailer ties.  I would recommend the same for mangers if you use them.  It will keep the horse from benignly walking away or putting his head where he shouldn't (or removing the manger).  But will break if the horse really pulls in an emergency or has his weight hanging from it. 

-Jo, olympia WA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)