'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
info on River Valley Horse Camp,Farmington ,Iowa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-15 2:00 PM
6 replies, 6462 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-07-13 8:07 PM (#159876)
Subject: info on River Valley Horse Camp,Farmington ,Iowa

Regular

Would appreciate any information any of you have on the" River Valley Horse Camp" located at Farmington ,Iowa. Would like to know more about the campground, horse facilities and riding trails. From their website,it look like a nice place
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-07-14 1:47 PM (#159890 - in reply to #159876)
Subject: RE: info on River Valley Horse Camp,Farmington ,Iowa

Regular

We have camped there numerous times since they opened. They have one of the nicest shower houses I have ever seen. Actually the whole facility is first class all the way. New this year is another barn and an all white rock parking/camping area around the new barn. They have two arenas that are separated by a short distance; maybe 100 yards. Adjacent to the upper arena is an Extreme Trail Course which was enhanced again this year with more obstacles. Really never seen a better facility.

Paul

Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-07-14 1:55 PM (#159891 - in reply to #159876)

Regular

Oops, forgot to tell you about the trails. Trails on the forest are pretty well maintained. New this year the forest has a WWT (Wet Weather Trail) which is open even if it has been raining. And the trails on the River Valley property are open rain or shine. The trails on both properties range from wide and easy to narrow and more challenging. This is river bluff country so you can have both without being forced to do the more difficult trails if you don't want to. I had one occasion when someone said they weren't coming back because the trails were too difficult but I know they just didn't take time to ask for an explanation of the trails or they could have avoided the narrow and challenging trails completely on both of the properties.

Paul

Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-07-14 9:29 PM (#159897 - in reply to #159876)

Regular

Great, thank you Paul for the information. Hopefully we can make it there this fall.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-07-14 9:47 PM (#159899 - in reply to #159876)

Extreme Veteran

Rain or shine my butt. Three years ago we were there after rains. We were meet with knee deep mud, quick sand and a rising river that the locals expected to flood the camp, but no warning from the host. Next morning we left.
Paul D
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-07-15 6:54 AM (#159900 - in reply to #159899)

Regular

Three years ago right after the July 4th weekend we were there also, yes it looked pretty bad with the river rising and the road beyond the main entrance closed due to flooding. But we trusted what the owners had to say, they have lived on that river for many years, and we did stay and ride rain or shine. We have probably been there to camp and ride 20+ times and that is the only time I was concerned about staying.

If you haven't been back this year you can't believe the improvements on the forest trails, what we used to call 'Hamburger Hill' no longer lives up to the name. It has been rocked and graded to allow the water to drain and is part of the WWT trail.

Paul

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-07-15 2:00 PM (#159907 - in reply to #159876)

Extreme Veteran

The River Valley Horse Campground is one of the nicest campgrounds you'll ever find. Nicest restrooms I've ever seen in a horse campground. Paul's description of the campground is accurate and he Kokjohn family are nice people.What Hornet mentioned is true too. The campground will flood but I would trust the Kokjohn's to get people out. They personally live not far from the campground and know the creeks around the campground will come up fast. Yes, I'd be pulling out if there was several inches of a hard rain.The trails immediately around the campground are privately owned by the Kokjohn's and is opened year round no matter how much rain hence where you can get into knee deep mud. I live local and ride Shimek State Forest which borders the Kokjohn's property and most of the campers go there to ride. There is a Wet Weather Trail (WWT) system that you go on immediately when you enter Shimek from the River Valley. It's about a two hour loop from entering Shimek. From comments I've heard from the public, it can be really muddy getting to the WWT from the campground unless there's been recent work done.Shimek has an active Friends of Shimek group that helps maintain Shimek's trails and campgrounds. There's 27 miles of trails in Shimek. Not sure how much around the River Valley Campground, I think they own 300+ acres so would be a questions for them.The trails in the area are nice when it's dry and I'm blessed to have them 20 minutes away. The biggest down fall is when we've had a lot of rain. Shimek will close their trails and when their trails are closed, I personally wouldn't want to be riding the trail in between the campground to get to Shimek's WWT. My best advice would be to check ahead with Iowa State Parks for Shimek to see if all trails are open or call their local office at 319-878-3811 or 319-470-8987. If Shimek is closed, there won't be any good riding unless you're coming to one of the events or doing the arena riding.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)