'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Moore Horse Campground

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-08 3:10 PM
5 replies, 9773 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-03-02 10:23 AM (#157781)
Subject: High Moore Horse Campground

Regular

High Moore Horse campground in London, Kentucky is a new campground that has access to the trails in Daniel Boone National Forest - Just wondering if anyone has stayed there and how many trails are there. It looks like they have a nice campground with stalls and electric and water.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2014-07-12 2:35 AM (#159857 - in reply to #157781)
Subject: RE: High Moore Horse Campground

Extreme Veteran

just saw your post - I was wondering the same thing.
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2014-07-20 8:33 AM (#160028 - in reply to #159857)

I stayed there last week for one night. Had a couple of days and wanted to check the place out. The camp is very nice and is easy to get to. The owners built all the buildings and did all the metalwork themselves (such as railing, gates, swings, chairs, decorative items, cabins, light posts, etc) The barn is nice, stalls a little on the small side but still decent and safe. Shavings (free), hay and firewood (reasonably priced) available. Only one bathroom each gender (18 campsites) and I consider this the only negative mark against the camp. Trails were wet for our ride due to a 3-4 in rainfall the night before we arrived, but not muddy. Just some standing pools of water that we had to ride through. Some rocky places but mostly sandy trails. We crossed a creek several times and the ride was very scenic and not too tough. There are some trails that I didn't have time to ride. The trail map was adequate and typical of most trail maps that I have had to navigate, in that some guessing is still required, lol. The owner assured us that there are many trails accessible that aren't really on the map. The first day we rode out the back of our campsite, which is a fairly tough downhill ride, but not as bad as Red Hill! Once down the hill you reach blacktop, which you must travel a very short distance to reach the main trails. We rode back in the same way as out. We rode about 4.5 hours that day. The second day we rode out the driveway into camp (gravel), reached the blacktop and traveled  down the blacktop a bit further in the opposite direction to reach a different trail access point. This eliminated the more rugged downhill part of the trail. This trail was also mostly sandy with a few rocky areas, had creek crossings and accessed some different loops and a gravel road. We only rode about 3 hours this day as we were returning home. I consider my knowledge of the trails to be preliminary, but at this point I'd say it's enough riding for a weekend. However, even with the hassle of blacktop riding, I liked the trails and the camp enough that I will return. The trails are mostly shaded and, though the deer flies were troublesome, the riding should be more comfortable on a warmer day. (I was blessed with the cooler weather of this week! Yay!) Something worth mentioning, actually two things......4 wheelers access some parts of the trails and the camp has a stright track and hosts races (gaited) on some weekends. Do go check it out! I think you will like it! Give us your feedback!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2014-07-20 7:57 PM (#160032 - in reply to #157781)

sounds like worth trying for sure
madison7351
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2014-10-08 3:01 PM (#161079 - in reply to #157781)

madison7351
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2014-10-08 3:10 PM (#161080 - in reply to #157781)

This campground has changed names to Hang'em High Horse Camp. We spent a week there in September and could't have enjoyed it more. Everything is first class and the owners are the most welcoming people. Everything the other poster said is correct. All stalls and horse facilities were safe, clean and well kept. Shavings free and trails were wonderful. We will return there soon and stay for another week. The prices are very reasonable and facilities are 5 star. This is one campground not to miss!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)