'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Camping in the Grand Tetons?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-04-13 7:15 AM
7 replies, 9007 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2014-02-28 1:47 PM (#157738)
Subject: Camping in the Grand Tetons?

Extreme Veteran

A friend and I are starting to plan a trip to the Grand Tetons in Wyoming next summer (2015)
We're looking for good camping and trails.   We'll be taking 2 weeks, and driving from Kentucky.

Advise, ideas, or  any other information is welcome!   Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-02-28 7:59 PM (#157743 - in reply to #157738)
Subject: RE: Camping in the Grand Tetons?

Regular

acy,that sounds like so much fun. I am excited for you. My wife and I have made 6-8 trips out to Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming. There is a lot to see and many good places to camp/ride. Are you planning on driving right to the Tetons or were you going to stop at a couple places on the way to and from there?One year we took two weeks and hauled our horses out through there. We stopped at the badlands horse camp in SD for a couple days, on to Custer State Park [French Creek horse camp}, then to the Big Horn Mountains[ Bucking Mule Falls horse camp] in Wyoming, boarded our horses at a friends ranch in Lovell and drove to Cody and on into Yellowstone. On the way back we went to Fort Robinson State park in Nebraska. It was the best trip we ever made. Jumping around made the trip great for us. It is a long expensive drive and I figured we need to see as much as we could. We drove two lane state highways and got to see some awesome scenery. We stopped at the Haythorn Land and Cattle Company in Arthur , Nebraska. They treated us like family. So many thing to see. You are wise to start your planning now. Many of the little western towns have rodeo grounds that you can overnight at. There are corrals at the Cabelas stores in Nebraska and South Dakota that are free to overnight too. Ride with the buffalo in SD and the wild horses in Wyoming.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2014-02-28 8:37 PM (#157745 - in reply to #157738)

Expert

There are trails on both the East and West side of the Tetons. The East side of course is accessed from the areas around Jackson Hole. Camping and trail access is a little more difficult because of the National Park. You can primitive disperse camp on Forest Service land, But you can't on National Park land. You can look at the maps and see areas that Forest Service. Grand Tetons are very close to Yellowstone, So any time spend in that area will probably include some rides into Yellowstone Park. Turpin Meadows is a large trail head that gives you access to the Two Oceans trail and the Thorofare trail in the park. You can camp at this trail head, because it is just outside the park boundary.On the South West corner of the park, there is lots of Forest Service land along the road that runs from Flag Ranch to Ashton Idaho. There are trails going into the Pitchstone Plateau. Mostly from the Bechler Meadows Ranger station. These trails are mostly on top of the plateau, So not much elevation change, Just nice trails through meadows.If you park at Jackson Lake Lodge , you can access the Two Oceans trail that goes around Emma Matilda and Two Oceans lake and climbs up Grand View.. You can also ride up Cascade and Paintbrush canyons on the west side of Jenny lake. From Jackson Hole you ride up Cache Creek and depending on how far you want to go, follow the pack trails clear over to Granite Creek and down into the Hoback area. There is camping on Forest Service ground along Granite Creek and Cliff Creek. And tons of riding in those areas.On the west Slope of the Tetons. You can ride into Alaska Basin, Granite Basin, Green Lakes etc. These are all wonderful trails and away from the crowds you will find on the Jackson side of the Tetons. Most of these are acessable from towns like Tetonia and Driggs Idaho.
BS Hauler
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2014-03-02 10:14 PM (#157791 - in reply to #157738)

Regular

Their is some nice riding in the Big Horn mountains also.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2014-03-03 5:19 AM (#157795 - in reply to #157738)

Extreme Veteran

You will have a great time riding anywhere in that part of the world. Many miles of trails, few people in the back country, fantastic scenery.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2014-03-03 7:59 AM (#157796 - in reply to #157738)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks everyone- Penny and I are getting excited and this trip is still over a year away!
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-04-08 1:02 PM (#158547 - in reply to #157738)

Regular

the wife and I are camping and riding in Colorado this summer...but a trip to the Grand Tetons sure sounds fun.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2014-04-13 7:15 AM (#158620 - in reply to #157738)

Expert

The Jackson Hole area itself can be a little tricky to find camping in. Yellowstone is north and there is no horse camping with trailers inside Yellowstone. ( only back country pack in camping) Between Yellowstone and Jackson is Grand Teton. Again no camping in the National Park. And Jackson Hole itself is mostly private land, So you have to drive a little to reach areas that are in the National Forest vs parks. Get a good map that shows the boundaries of the park vs national forest and you can pick out spots where you can camp.These photos are from the area near Jackson Lake Several nice trails to ride in that area.Grand Tetons2 photo GirlsTrip144.jpg]I usually camp down near Granite Creek, Which is 30-40 miles South East of Jackson. There is a major highline trail that begins in that area and runs toward Jackson and also into the Gros Ventre range of mountains. Plenty of water for the horses and lots of grass and a easy hiway drive into Jackson and any riding you want in Grand Teton.[IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2008/Jackson%20Lake/GirlsTrip491.jpg[/IMG]There is also lots of areas to camp along Cliff Creek which runs south from the Hoback highway into the Wyoming Range of mountains.Once up into Grand Teton you can spend days enjoyings the trails that wander around the several lakes [IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2009/Grandview/GrandView-038.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p259/Painted-Horse/2009/Grandview/GrandView-023.jpg[/IMG]If you get tired of the area around Jackson, You can travel over to the Idaho side of the Grand Tetons and ride into Granite or Alaska Basin. Both are stunning rides. From here you get to see the Western side of the TetonsGranite Basin photo 100_0029.jpg

Edited by Painted Horse 2014-04-13 7:19 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)