'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Water escaping through vent hose?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-19 8:56 AM
8 replies, 4753 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mkjkrake
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2013-05-15 9:49 PM (#152026)
Subject: Water escaping through vent hose?

I went into my 2001 4Star the other evening after work. I had not used it for about a week and 1/2. I immediately noticed that two rugs I had down in the bathroom had been wet because they were discolored. The one furthest back was still wet enough that it dripped when I picked it up. My husband and I looked everywhere for something that was leaking. We turned on the pump and ran water through everything - no leaks. He said, "I suppose the water may have sloshed enough to run out the vent hose of the fresh water tank, that is the only thing I can thing of". The last time I had driven it the trailer brakes got stuck due to wet weather and minor rust build up. I had tried to pull up and back several times and had to give the truck a lot of gas to move it several times before I got parked. I was at the arena for several hours. Then after letting the trailer set for a few hours, I left the arena. To leave I had to drive up a long drive that was very steep. In the process, I was testing the brakes to see if they were still sticking. They were not and I drove home. We have just been baffled by the whole thing. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen = water escaping from the fresh water tank through the vent hose??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-05-16 5:31 AM (#152039 - in reply to #152026)
Subject: RE: Water escaping through vent hose?

Expert

If you pulled it during a rain storm, water may have entered through the roof vent in the bathroom... maybe coming from the roof, around the A/C gasket... When was the last time the roof was recaulked.... Just thinking out loud....

Where is this tank vent hose..? Shouldn't it extend to the outside of the trailer?

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2013-05-16 9:48 AM (#152048 - in reply to #152026)

Veteran

We flooded our LQ floor once.  Hubby admitted he had one of the valves (maybe overflow?) turned the wrong way. His best guess was that it was probably fine until we had to make a quick stop and the water sloshed forward in the tank and then siphoned the entire fresh water tank. 

mkjkrake
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2013-05-16 9:57 AM (#152049 - in reply to #152039)

Trailer sets inside and has not pulled or been camping in the rain since last fall. I'll check to see if it is something that has pulled loose from a connection to the outside. I do know there is an overflow/vent hole that is small and is right next to the opening where you fill the fresh water tank. I'll let you know. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Headed out there right now!
mkjkrake
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2013-05-16 9:59 AM (#152050 - in reply to #152048)

That would explain why the fresh water tank was completely empty. Seemed very unusual that there was that much water from sloshing.
mkjkrake
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2013-05-16 11:17 PM (#152083 - in reply to #152049)

Checked the trailer based on some earlier discussion. The vent/overflow hose has a clamp at both the place that it goes into the tank and also the place that is empties outside. Everything looked fine. The other hose that I thought was a vent is actually the hose that allows you to pour antifreeze into the drain line. The valve on it in the closed position allows the flow out of the tank into the pipe running to the water pump. When open it cuts off the flow of water out of the tank and allows antifreeze poured into the hose to flow into the pipes. Hubby asked me if I had a lot of water sitting in the toilet thinking it may have sloshed out when the brakes were sticking. I usually don't leave any water in the toilet. Maybe a inch that sits right on the opening that dumps into the black tank. We are still clueless were is came from. I'll be using it again this weekend and will maybe discover something.
mkjkrake
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2013-05-16 11:18 PM (#152084 - in reply to #152083)

I guess it really wasn't escaping through the vent at all. DON'T KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM!!
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-05-19 7:02 AM (#152131 - in reply to #152026)

Elite Veteran

I have the same issue with my tank also. If I fill it to full it will over flow.Most will run out on the ground. But sometimes it will leak back into the tank area and get the floor wet under table. I just don't fill the tank if I know I'm going to be on the road..
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-19 8:56 AM (#152138 - in reply to #152026)

Expert

If your water system is leaking when the trailer is moving, you might check the flex line filler tube going to the tank. If the clamp at the tank connection is loose or leaking, any movement when the tank is full will result in a leak. Also if the tubing is old, it may have a split that could be hidden under the clamps.

If water is leaking out when the trailer is stationary, I would suspect that the supply line from the bottom of the tank is at fault, again either with a clamp or a leaking line. A worse case scenario would be a crack in the tank it self.

The smaller vent line is usually located at the highest part of the tank, and often will be the last place to expect a leak.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)