'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
gooseneck-truck compatability

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-14 9:36 PM
7 replies, 4811 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DianneD
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-13 10:01 AM (#151952)
Subject: gooseneck-truck compatability

New User

I own a 1998 Sundowner 3-horse gooseneck (23' box) and towed it for years with a GMC 3/4 ton diesel.  Recently purchased a new 2012 Chev 3/4 ton Silverado.  Problem is, the new truck is taller and the gooseneck is scary close to the truck rails (5" or so).  I know the easy answer is to extend the leg on the hitch, but when I do that the trailer isn't level.  What is the optimum distance between the rails and gooseneck?  Would using a set back on the hitch help that problem? (It also seems closer to the cab than before, so I will probably do that anyway).  Another solution might be to get bigger tires for my trailer -- is that an option?  Any thoughts?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-13 10:46 AM (#151953 - in reply to #151952)
Subject: RE: gooseneck-truck compatability

Expert

You can get the trailer axles blocked, raising the trailer height. Then the hitch pin can be extended, which would once again result in a level trailer. Three or four inches can be obtained this way, more so than purchasing different tires and wheels, which may or may not fit within your trailer's fenders. Blocking would also be less expensive than new tires.
DianneD
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-13 11:29 AM (#151955 - in reply to #151952)

New User

The axles are welded not bolted, does that cause problems or is it just more work? I need new tires so I have to buy them anyway.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-05-13 11:42 AM (#151956 - in reply to #151952)

Extreme Veteran

I had this problem with a 2H 4Star GN and my 2012 chevy 3/4, 2-wheel drive. I did get the trailer blocked and it was a good solution. Cost was around $450 at a local Big Tex Trailer shop. My axle were bolted with a small weld. I put a dent in on my truck bed rails with my new to me 2007 4-Star 3H and had to add height to the hitch neck. Luckily, I don't need to have this trailer blocked also.I don't understand why they are making the new trucks so tall.
rocky213
Reg. Sep 2012
Posted 2013-05-13 2:02 PM (#151958 - in reply to #151952)

New User

I had the same problem as well. I had the blocks replaced on the rear end of my truck which lowered it 3" which was awesome since it made climbing into the back of the truck easier. I didn't want to block the axles on the trailer since that would make the ramp steeper for the horses. You cant tell the truck was lowered in the back. I think the dealer said he swapped out the 6" rear blocks for the 2 or 3 inch blocks. I cant remember exactly. It cost around $400 to do this. That was the dealer price.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-05-13 3:46 PM (#151963 - in reply to #151952)

Regular

That is one of the biggest issues with older trailer and newer trucks.. they just don't fit together when towing a gooseneck trailer. Lowering the truck does work, although can present other problems with the drive train if not properly done. Raising the trailer height does work, and is probably the most common fix, but there are problems there too.   I  have seen horses back out of a raised trailer, and their hind legs slide under the trailer, and they cast themselves there. In one case horse had to be put down due to broken leg. I thlnk the remedy is to ensure to park with a bit of a rise at back of trailer if at all possible, unless you have a ramp.  The ultimate fix though, if affordable is to update the trailer. I agree with previous post...  why do we need trucks so high..

However back you your issue,  moving the hitch back will help, but very little over a 5 or so inch setback. It definitely will help with the trailer vs cab issue. Taller tires might work if you can get them in the wheel well.Best of luck

AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2013-05-13 8:14 PM (#151966 - in reply to #151952)

Veteran

We had this problem. We removed the coupler on the trailer, chopped the tube a few inches, and reset the coupler and rebolted...level trailer.
gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2013-05-14 9:36 PM (#151996 - in reply to #151952)

Veteran

I had similar issues with my Platinum trailer and Dodge 3500.  I blocked the axles 4" and that helped.  I do travel some awful back country trails and had the trailer contact the PU bed..    I junked the stock bed and installed a CM flatbed, END OF PROBLEMS!!   And I love the flatbed, actually the truck feels more stable with the load,and is much quieter with lots less wind buffeting. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)