'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Virginia camping

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-16 10:11 AM
14 replies, 9088 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-12-21 6:46 PM (#148898)
Subject: Virginia camping

Extreme Veteran

Does anyone have any VA reviews for camping? 

We have been researching Ft Valley and Hungry horse.  We what to make sure we can ride from the camp ground as we like our rig to stay put once we set up.  Decent views of the area would be a plus.

We have pretty much done all that New England offers and want to venture into PA and or VA this year.

Any thoughts?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-12-21 8:17 PM (#148899 - in reply to #148898)
Subject: RE: Virginia camping

Elite Veteran

Both are beautiful areas.  I have a house in Ft Valley.  I have ridden at the camp there[ endurance rides].

I have also ridden Mt Rogers, but not at Hungry Horse.[sp?]  Ft Valley is rocky.

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-12-21 9:04 PM (#148900 - in reply to #148898)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks - in your opinion what do you mean rocky?   Are the trails accessible from the camping area? 

Any input would be appreciated.  I am hopeful for scenic views.  We expect it to be a 9 hour haul and would stay at the min 3 days.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-12-22 7:30 PM (#148912 - in reply to #148900)

Veteran

We do a long weekend at Fort Weekend in the fall each year. We rent a cabin, and a corral for the horses. Very peaceful, and lots of trails. What does rocky mean? Shoes or boots a must. It is moutain riding, although you can do some logging roads. The least rocky we have found is Turkey Pen. You will receive a description and map of the trails when you arrive. Stephens trail is not too rocky, but it is not a loop, unless you also go to the mountain top, and come down the other side on another trail, which is more steep and rocky than we like, but the Ft. Valley owners take clients there frequently on the rental horses. We rode there once, and did not have any trouble.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-12-23 5:58 AM (#148914 - in reply to #148898)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks - When I use the term rocky I guess I assume that too rocky is terrain that I have to spend all day picking my way around an uncomfortable surface for my horse, not enjoying any area's to trot out or run the boys (cantor, gallop, Lope etc...). 

As long as there is a variation I have no issues.  We have been places that after 2 days the horses are done.  Some places the bones are rolling under their feet or the ledge is jagged mosey and slimy. 

Sorry hate to get caught up on one phrase.  We certainly have our share of Mountain terrain and it seems that most of New England grows stones :)

Hearing that the Camping area is peaceful and that the trails are accessible from the facility is promising.  Steep climbs are absolutely acceptable. 

This will be a long trip and without any idea what we are getting into its always helpful to receive advise and reviews.

Merry Christmas!

MarkeBoye
Reg. Dec 2012
Posted 2012-12-26 12:48 AM (#148944 - in reply to #148898)

New User

Thanks - in your opinion what do you mean rocky? Are the trails accessible from the camping area? Catch a chance to take advantage of dvd buy online, never let you down!
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-12-26 11:15 AM (#148951 - in reply to #148898)

Veteran

there is lots of comments on the forum for Hungry Horse. Iron Mt is just down the  road from it.  The trails are beautiful, less rocks than Fort Valley and not near as steep. You can park your rig and ride for a week. Mount rogers is about an hour from Hungry Horse, Rocky yes, but not miserable. Again, you can park your rig and ride for a week. there are websites for all of the these places. (Iron Mountain Horse camp, Hungry Horse East, Rocky Hollow horse camp, high county horse camp.) If you want primative, try Fox Creek horse camp, Hussey Mountain Horse camp,  White Cedars horse camp(Jefferson National Forrest) and more. they will have a map link and trail link with them. I have stayed at all the campgrounds and ridden most of the trails multiple times.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-12-26 4:31 PM (#148955 - in reply to #148898)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks!

I appreciate the input.  Any of these are @ 11+ hours from me.  However none are out of the question.

I am assuming that if we were to shave a few hours and stop at Ft Valley we will experience steep ups and downs and rocky(r) ground.

I get nervous about camping areas that advertise trial heads a short trailer ride away.  Like I said we like to plant ourselves for the duration.

Thanks again.

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-12-27 7:33 AM (#148969 - in reply to #148898)

Veteran

I was thinking about a trip out that way someday. Looked at some of the websites for the private campgrounds but gee I don't think we can afford to stay at those. It would be $70 a nite for a site and 2 horses. If we drove that far to get there we would want to stay a week and that would be almost $500 for just the camping. Those primitive sights would be fine with us though but can a big rig get into them? We've got a 40 ft. trailer.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-12-27 2:00 PM (#148971 - in reply to #148898)

Veteran

you can get into Dismal and fox creek. they are about $15 a night. The Dismal campground has large pipe corrals to keep your horse safe, some are double corrals. (no extra charge for the horses at these places)They have pull thru sites too. at Fox creek you will line tie. You will not regret White Cedar at Dismal. The trails are beautiful  and plenty of them. White cedar has nice toliets that clean and well kept. There is potable water at different places in the camp ground so you can fill your tanks. We go there several times each riding season. It is very clean, no electric. the trails are rarely rocky. lots of places to water your horse.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2012-12-28 7:31 AM (#148984 - in reply to #148971)

Veteran

Originally written by ghbb41 on 2012-12-27 2:00 PM

you can get into Dismal and fox creek. they are about $15 a night. The Dismal campground has large pipe corrals to keep your horse safe, some are double corrals. (no extra charge for the horses at these places)They have pull thru sites too. at Fox creek you will line tie. You will not regret White Cedar at Dismal. The trails are beautiful  and plenty of them. White cedar has nice toliets that clean and well kept. There is potable water at different places in the camp ground so you can fill your tanks. We go there several times each riding season. It is very clean, no electric. the trails are rarely rocky. lots of places to water your horse.

Thanks for the info. Hope we can get out there to ride in the near future.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2013-02-18 11:50 PM (#150015 - in reply to #148898)

Veteran

You can also try Big Ridge Campgrounds at Lost River in Mathias, WV. It is just about 10 miles into WV and just west of Fort Valley. We go for a week at a time and still have not ridden all the trails they have. The only roads you cross are in the state park itself.
rockin kgin
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2013-02-19 12:55 PM (#150024 - in reply to #148914)

From your "clam chowder and Kennedy's" it sounds like youre from eastern Mass. area. If you plan to ride the mountains keep in mind that it will take several days or longer to acclimate your horses to the elevation (3000-5000+ ft) and very rocky terrain. Mount Rogers is beautiful especially the 1st week of June when the rhododendrons are in full bloom. We always stay at Fox Creek (primitive). Direct access to the trails
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2013-02-19 5:55 PM (#150028 - in reply to #148898)

Extreme Veteran

Yup - A stones throw away from the vineyard :)

I understand what you mean about the altitude.  When we go north to VT, ME or NH the boys tend to suffer for a few days.

Thanks for the input.  Spring is a few months away up here.  Just itching to try our new truck on the LQ. 

RidnClyde
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2013-05-16 10:11 AM (#152051 - in reply to #148898)

Regular

Just back from 4 days at Iron Mountain Horse Camp (you can ck their website).  Really nice place with a short access to the VA Highlands trail and many of it's loops.  The campsites are creekside, very nice stalls and clean all around.  Some of the locals have permanent sites there and come around to chat and check in.  They will even join you on IMHC marked trails.  The park service doesn't maintain their trails, so you sometimes feel like you're bushwacking and the camp locals know where the all are.  Very friendly and good people.  The camp sits about 2200' in elevation and you can ride to 3600' with mile-n-miles of trails.  Footing is everything from rocky, dirt, roots, double or single track, lots of creek water for horse, etc.

I'll definitely go back, it's beautiful down there and I'm considered a flatlander but have fit for mountain horses.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)