'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Montana vacation - ski and horse ride?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-09 10:26 AM
14 replies, 9292 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

iukaman
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-10-28 6:00 PM (#147963)
Subject: Montana vacation - ski and horse ride?

Hello all! I am looking for a vacation in Montana where I can snowboard but also didnt know if I could bring the horses. To travel from Tennessee, it would e a nice time to rent a house with stalls so I can trail ride or snowboard. Does anything like this exist? If not it could be an opportunity for someone!!Let me know!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-10-28 9:53 PM (#147970 - in reply to #147963)
Subject: RE: Montana vacation - ski and horse ride?

Expert

Look for something with lots of elevation change in the area.

I live in Utah at 4500 foot and ride all winter. Trails are covered in snow and cold, but I can ride. I have 9 ski resort within an hour drive of my home, Most of their parking lots are around 7000 foot. So lots of skiing/boarding nearby with plenty of deep snow.

Any riding at the ski areas would be pretty slim during the winter. Basically riding on the areas they plow the snow off. Even the wildlife, like Elk and deer migrate off the mountains in the winter. But their is great summer riding in those areas.

I can trailer to warmer parts of the state to ride during the winter. The St George UT area is 2000 foot elevation and always 30° warmer than the temp at my home. But it's a 5 hour drive away.  I mostly ride on Antelope Island during the winter. It's very sandy or granular, So little mud, surrounded by the Salt lake that acts as heat sink and keeps the surrounding air slightly warmer and I ge to see the snow on the mountains in the distance

You will just have to look at each of the Ski areas in Montana and see which ski area has some lower elevation areas close enough to allow you to do both.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-10-28 10:35 PM (#147974 - in reply to #147970)

Extreme Veteran

Take a look at Big Sky, MT.. Lots of ski resorts and several horse trail heads close. Check with Jake's Horses (406) 995-4630 Gallatin Cyn, Big Sky, MT 59716 . He rents horses and knows every body in the area. Also check with the Covered Wagon Ranch. Kurt Puckett is the manager and can point you in the right direction. Tell him the guy with the long dark grey trailer, pulled with a green semi, send you.
iukaman
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-10-29 6:08 AM (#147977 - in reply to #147963)

That is some great info on the elevation changes. I have been snowboarding most all my life and incorporating the horse stuff. So it would be a good long week to board and ride.

Bob, thanks for the input. I will check with them, sounds like some good possibilities!

If anyone else has any thoughts, let me know!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-10-29 11:33 AM (#147985 - in reply to #147963)

Expert

Ski resorts are typically located in areas that get lots of snow.  This are not the same areas where you would ride horses in the winter months. So finding a place that allows you to do both during the same vacation will be a challenge. Unless you want to ski on the mountain during the day and ride in an indoor arena during the evening.

Most of the trails we use during the summer and fall become trails for Snowmobiles or cross country skiers in the winter. The pack down the snow making it icy and dangerous for the horses. If we leave the trails and just ride cross country, deep snow drifts hides obsticles under the snow that can't be seen. It easy to get a horse hurt by getting their legs wedged or caught in blow down logs hidden under the snow. Let alone the badger holes or rabbit burrows that are covered.

This is an old photo of an old truck I had as a young man, But it shows how the snow was that winter up at one of the ski resorts. Unless you know of a way to put snow shoes on your horse, There just is no riding a horse thru that.

Ski resorts are usually located on North or East facing slopes. My winter riding is usually found on South or West facing slopes that get lots of afternoon sun to help melt off the snow. The snow melts off and is not as deep and it's warmer for me to enjoy the outing.  I have to ride much lower in elevation during the winter to get away from the deeper snow.

The Ski resorts around here will avg 400" of snow a winter. That doesn't mean we will have 400" on the ground. It will snow and accumulate, then melt then snow off and on all winter. The foot hills see the same snow then melt routine, So I can often ride foot hills or desert areas and only see 6-10" of snow. Which is doable for the horses. It allows me to get out and exercise the horses and keep them tuned up and enjoy some sunshine

Even the deer and elk leave the mountain tops in the winter and migrate to lower elevation to escape the deep snow. Hence we start seeing wildlife down near the human population centers.

The trick is too find areas that are not prone to heavy snow, that are with in a reasonible trailering distance of the ski resorts. I don't think you will find alot of that in Montana. I have numerous friends that trailer down from northern homes during the winter to get a riding fix in Utah, Because they just can't ride back home.

I know around here, Most of the places that offer horse rides during the summer months around the ski areas, all change over to offering snowmobile rides in the winter. They put their horses out to pasture for the winter months. As locals we load up and head for areas that we know don't get a lot of snow. We ride during the middle of day when it's warmest and can enjoy the warmth of the sun.

This is a February Ride in central Utah in the high desert. This particular area had 25" of snow 10 days earlier, But a warm spell had quickly melted it. The night we left it got another 18" of snow. As locals we knew we could get out and ride, But as a tourist, there is no guarantee that you would have those same warm sunny days during your vacation stay.

iukaman
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-10-30 9:36 AM (#148008 - in reply to #147963)

love the effort you guys are putting in for me!

The pictures are awesome!

Now are there any places that i could be about an hour from ski lifts to board and be close to trails? Or am i still asking too much? i definately dont want to create a danger for the horses because my wife uses them for competition too. Maybe its worth it to split the trip up?

Loving the replies! Thanks!

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-10-30 3:32 PM (#148016 - in reply to #148008)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by iukaman on 2012-10-30 9:36 AM

Now are there any places that i could be about an hour from ski lifts to board and be close to trails? Or am i still asking too much?

That question is almost a double edged sword. Yes, there are trails close to Big Sky Montana and there are many ski lifts there also. The cutting edge question is: when there is enough snow for skiing can you get thru the trails? As Jake or the Kurt, they both live there, they should know.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-10-30 3:33 PM
iukaman
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-10-30 3:43 PM (#148017 - in reply to #147963)

That's what I will do! Thank you!
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-11-19 8:00 PM (#148461 - in reply to #147963)

Regular

Check out the KALISPELL AND WHITEFISH areas of Montana, they are in the Flathead Valley, no snow to speak of in the winter in Kalispell, some in Whitefish, snowboading,skiing on Big Mountain sky resort at Whitefish, and a number of year round dude ranches and retreat ranches in the Kalispell area. Absoutely great views of the mountians from within the valley.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2012-11-20 10:09 AM (#148479 - in reply to #147963)

Extreme Veteran

Edited by Phoresic 2012-11-20 10:11 AM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-12-12 5:46 PM (#148857 - in reply to #147963)

Veteran

I have hauled horses from Tennessee up to Northern Michigan in the middle of winter and they did just fine, but I would worry about hauling mine from a warm climate - riding them in high altitude - then a long haul home - how long did you say you had? Let us know if your Tennessee horses get pneumonia.
iukaman
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-12-13 8:13 AM (#148860 - in reply to #147963)

Thats a god point. I dont know much about that. Something worth asking a vet about. I mean when i ride in the mountains, i get some headaches myself due to altitude suckness if i dont drink enough liquids. Definately dont want to cause sickness over the horses.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-03-07 9:07 AM (#150426 - in reply to #148860)

Expert

Most people get altitude sickness because they don't drink enough water. Horses typically don't drink Soda Pop, Beer or coffee.  All contain diuratics that reduce your hydration.  Giving your horses good opportunities to drink good water is usually enough.  My horses live at 4472 foot and frequently ride up and over summits and passes at 10,000-11,000 foot during the summer.  They may blow a little because the air gets thin. But I've never notice anything I could blame on altitude sickness.

Ski season here in Utah is in full swing.  I was riding yesterday and last Saturday less than 30 miles away from one of the local ski resorts.

A week ago I loaded up and went to Southern Utah.  Brianhead ski resort is near Cedar city and I was riding in the Red Cliff Reserve maybe 60 miles away from the skiers. The skiers were at 10,000 foot and I was at 3000.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-03-07 3:55 PM (#150436 - in reply to #147963)

Extreme Veteran

We live at barely over 600 feet above sea level here at this part of IL. We've camped/ridden at 8,000+ in the Big Horns and Rockies plus ridden to 10,000 elevations. We just ease the horses into riding the first couple of days. Never ever had a problem. Our horses are in good shape when we travel, but we still allow common sense to prevail.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2013-03-09 10:26 AM (#150470 - in reply to #147963)

Extreme Veteran

We don't push the high elevations(over 10k) for the first couple of days. We too travel from 1000 ft to camps in the 6k to 9k elevations. The horse do much better at the 9k camps than we do.

We find the bigger problem is with the drastic change in temps. Temps at home may be in the high 90s to 100s, when we leave home, and the temps at camp are normally 30 to 80. If the horses are loose to roam, they do just fine, but if you confine them to a stall or small pen, they have problems. Lots of hay and/or grass and free exercise solves the problem. The last thing you want to is blanket them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)