'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Broken Arrow campground SD

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-16 12:15 PM
14 replies, 9664 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

saddldenride
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2012-10-22 10:13 PM (#147841)
Subject: Broken Arrow campground SD

New User

Who camp there this year (2012)? We talked to some people that said that there are two many 4 wheelers that are camping there and using the trails, is this true? we didn't get out there this year but we were out there in 2010 and 2011. We only saw 4 wheelers once time.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-10-24 1:14 PM (#147884 - in reply to #147841)
Subject: RE: Broken Arrow campground SD

Elite Veteran

I would be interested in hearing that answer myself!  I was there in 2009 and the camp itself was full of ATV's.  I would want to make sure before I made another trip out there.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-10-24 11:01 PM (#147894 - in reply to #147841)

Elite Veteran

I spent 8 days there this June and did not see a single ATV on the trails. There was a UTV that visited other campers there in the evening, but they were polite around the horses.
ILdonkgal
Reg. Nov 2012
Posted 2012-12-11 2:59 PM (#148847 - in reply to #147841)

We were there a few years ago, and the biggest negative we saw was that most of the campsites are *very* tightly squeezed together, and most of them require that you leave your horse up at the barn (no bringing it down to the trailer in camp to tack up) they provide big wheelbarrows to lug all your tack back and forth. We left early and moved to French Creek in Custer SP. We've been to French Creek many times, and it is far superior in all aspects, IMO.
ottomcnab
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2012-12-12 6:25 AM (#148851 - in reply to #147841)

Camped there in July and there were a couple of ATV's in the camp but they were never a problem. Never saw any on the trails. The location and amenities are superior to French Creek. Have been told the trails are better also but we never rode FC. Not prob. for us having to tack at pens but we're in shape and not lazy, does keep sites grassed and clean which we appreciate. Sites are tight might be only negative but most sights have sewage which is nice.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-12-13 1:13 AM (#148858 - in reply to #147841)

Elite Veteran

I didn't find the sites any more tight when compared to other trail riding camps. Jerry has golf carts with flat beds to tote tack to the stalls and hitching area. We never had to wait too long to use a cart either. Trails were sufficient for a week. They are also the only camp that has covered stalls which is important as hail and cold winds are frequent. It hailed three evenings while there in June. However, I was not a fan of the horse panel stall design when the camp was full as horses could nose each other. That was my only major complaint.We checked out French Creek. I am sure the trails are great, but I did not like the pipe corral stalls as they were urine laded and uneven. I also did not care for several horses confined to one pen. And having buffalo in the horse camp is not convenient for evening feeding as the rangers recommend all hay bags be removed at night. Some of the pens were bent from buffalo. There is not water at the stall sites either....must carry water from the creek which is worse than driving a tack cart IMO. And there is the expense of purchasing weed free hay...you cant bring your own hay into the park.Broken Arrow is also the cleanest and most well groomed camp I have every stayed at including RV parks. I appreciated not having tons of flies invade the trailer and horses. I would not hesitate to camp here again.
BoydBooker
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2013-01-23 2:27 AM (#149485 - in reply to #147841)

New User

hahha___________________Share the fun and joy time with Homeland Season 2 DVD cast!
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-23 9:19 AM (#149490 - in reply to #147841)

Extreme Veteran

Loved camping at Broken Arrow. I don't mind the rule about having to tack up at the horse pens. One of our party that traveled with our large group is handicapped. We either hauled his tack up to his mule or used one of the golf carts. The camp accommodates horses/mules, but is also an RV camp. Not everyone wants to walk around camp dodging manure, and I understand that. Actually, I appreciate that rule.

The previous owners held to a very strict rule about their dogs being kept leashed and green bagging the dog doo. I thought that was good policy, too. One camping neighbor didn't like it and felt their terrier should've been allowed to roam freely. Bet had they stepped in somebody else's dog's doo and tracked it into their LQ .......get my drift?

traxarlo
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2013-01-23 9:57 AM (#149494 - in reply to #147841)

I live and ride in the Black Hills of SD. I think Broken Arrow and French Creek are both great horse camps but very different. And then there are others that are good too.

I couldn't agree more with ILdonkgal. I have never had problems with the corrals or buffalo in 20 years of camping at French Creek. There is no comparision to the spacious campsites or the setting of French Creek horse camp to Broken Arrow. But you are not going to get the covered stalls or sewer hook up that you get at Broken Arrow

I personally prefer the riding in Cuser State Park. As far as watering your horses ; there are options other than carrying water.. you can invest in a pump and pump the water right to your stall from the creek, or bring your horse to the water. Each campsite at French Creek has electricity and two stalls. There is a dump station and a very clean bathroom/shower blgd.

ps. personally, if I spent time and money traveling to the Black Hills I would want to ride the Harney Peak trail system. The heart of the Black Hills.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-01-23 10:57 AM (#149498 - in reply to #149494)

Extreme Veteran

While at Custer the first trip, we investigated a few other camping facilities. One we checked out and "toured" was French Creek Ranch which is actually a B & B. So I had been confusing it with French Creek (part of the state park system) as described here. In just now checking it out, I agree that it is very spacious and love that it's right on the creek.

This forum sure provides a wealth of information, and I love reading all the differing opinions. All worth noting.

onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2013-03-11 11:26 AM (#150511 - in reply to #147841)

Regular

We were at Broken Arrow the first full week of September last year and never encountered any ATV's on the trails nor were there any in camp.  We enjoyed our time there and it was a nice clean camp. I was a little dissappointed in the trails as they were not very scenic.  We are 50/50 on wether or not we will go back and ride out of Broken Arrow.  It is a very nice camp.
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2013-03-11 1:15 PM (#150514 - in reply to #147841)

Elite Veteran

Out of which camp can you access the Harney Peak trail system?  I trailered over to Harney Peak from Broken Arrow.

illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2013-03-11 4:25 PM (#150520 - in reply to #147841)

Veteran

We have a trip planned for this June. What would you say is a must see trail??  We plan to trailer to Harney Peak,but is there other trails that would be considered a must see?  On here someone mentioned the trails as being very scenic from Broken Arrow.

Thanks

Edited by illini 2013-03-11 4:26 PM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2013-03-12 8:47 PM (#150541 - in reply to #147841)

Veteran

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/blackhills/recreation/hiking/recarea... Iron Creek camp ground in Custer park, you can ride to Harney Peak - kinda challenging ride. It is a really nice campground, what ever you do DO NOT take a wrong turn and go through the tunnels,,,like we did almost didn't fit. Needles Highway no fun with a trailer.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2013-05-16 12:15 PM (#152057 - in reply to #147841)

Regular

The only bad thing I have to say about Broken Arrow is we wasted a whole day of riding being guided by the owner. she offered to take us for a ride since we had never been there before. Come to find out she knows one trail and one trail only you take it out to the resturant eat and ride it back. When u ask about other trails you pass along the way she says I dont know where it goes. So we wasted one whole day on a not very scenic boring ride.  The rest of the time we took our GPS and went on our own. Never got lost and had wonderful rides.  The owners are very nice and I am in no way being mean just wanted to give a heads up about this part of our experience. we are going back in 2014.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)