'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing BP with Mid-size truck

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-14 12:45 AM
2 replies, 5890 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Flint
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-10 7:28 PM (#145509)
Subject: Towing BP with Mid-size truck

New User

All,

I currently tow my CM Odyssey 2H straight (empty weight 2500 lb) with a 2003 Dodge Dakota quad cab.  The Dakota has a 4.7L V8 and a tow package and a maximum tow capacity of 4850 lbs.  I use weight distribution bars.  I notice the trailer when going up hills but other than that, the Dakota seems to work.  I am looking at buying an Equi-Spirit one-horse (dressing room where second stall would be - clever design) but the empty weight on the trailer is around 3000 lb. (steel and aluminum) and with my larger horse (1050 lb), the Equi-Spirit guy recommended I find another truck.

My problem?  I do not want a big truck.  I tow maybe once or twice a month and the rest of the time, we use the truck for hauling mulch, plants, whatever.  I have test driven the Ram 1500 and the Ford 150 and they are both too big - I feel lost and not in control.  Unfortunately, Dodge no longer makes the Dakota.  Any recommendations for a similar size truck like the Dakota that has the guts to pull a heavier trailer?

Thanks! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-07-11 1:34 PM (#145528 - in reply to #145509)
Subject: RE: Towing BP with Mid-size truck

Regular

Did you look at the 1 horse with LQ from Dixie Star that has a queen size bed . DixieStarTrailers.com 340 lbs hitch weight 3000 lbs. total weight . Happy Hunting
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-07-14 12:45 AM (#145582 - in reply to #145509)
Subject: RE: Towing BP with Mid-size truck

Extreme Veteran

There are times I miss having a little horse and the outfit below. That's a Chevy S10 before they shrank them. Anyone who thinks this wasn't safe, well let's just say I put thousands of miles on this outfit without incident. I did add some helper springs, brake unit, and it had a manual trans. Only time it was a little challenged was when I probably had it overloaded with 1500 lbs of stuff and Flynn heading home from North Dakota against a 45 plus mph head wind. The semis weren't doing any better. I miss that little outfit sometimes. I got about 24mpg hauling and around 29 not hauling. The main thing is don't get a huge trailer for the truck and always respect that it's not a big truck when it rains and you should be fine. That said, I really like the below, below outfit, though ironically the hitch I put on the S10 was actually stronger then the hitch on the 3/4 ton. Best of luck finding the right fit for you.North Dakota Peace Gardens 1992 My complete outfit, 1994 GMC Sierra 2500 diesel/ 2002 Lance Camper/ 1996 Bison Stock Trailer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)