'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slant load for big horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2019-05-22 9:54 AM
9 replies, 9000 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

beena
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-06-15 12:40 AM (#144838)
Subject: Slant load for big horse?

I am looking at a slant loader trailer.., it's 6'8 wide and the stall length is 130". How much stall length does a 16.2 horse need to be comfy? She has a pretty long body. Wears a size 84 blanket. Thanks!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-15 1:22 AM (#144839 - in reply to #144838)
Subject: RE: Slant load for big horse?

Elite Veteran

Logan makes bigger trailers. The new ones anyways. Exiss fit my big horses well. Circle J and some of the others are made for smaller horses. I would look at Exiss. They are everywhere and are a decent trailer
muleygirl
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2012-06-15 1:43 PM (#144852 - in reply to #144838)

Measure your horse from end to end, and then measure the stall divider. That will give you an idea of whether they will fit into the stall without their nose shoved into the corner. I bought a straight load because the slant I had, which was 7'6" tall, only had a divider measurement of 8'4". The straight load I bought is in excess of 10 feet stall length. Way more room than a slant. And yes they can angle the stall more and make it wider, but it does add length to the trailer.
muleygirl
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2012-06-15 1:50 PM (#144853 - in reply to #144838)

And another thought, I would guess that the 130" may be measured diagonally across the stall, as some companies like to do, I have yet to see a slant stall on a 6'8" wide trailer be that long measured down the middle. If that is the case, I would say it is not big enough, because I used to have one that size, and my size 84 horse was very cramped. But do the measurements, that will tell you for sure.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-15 3:38 PM (#144855 - in reply to #144838)

Elite Veteran

It is not big enough because my guys are an 78" blanket size and 16h tall and my 135" length is not long enough for them. You could always get a 3 horse slant and remove one of the dividers. That way your horse will have a lot of extra room.
beena
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-06-15 8:07 PM (#144861 - in reply to #144838)

Thanks everyone! Is it not typical for the stall in the rear to be bigger? That would be fine, as my other horse is much smaller and could fit in the front.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-06-17 12:12 PM (#144909 - in reply to #144838)

Expert

In some cases, the last stall is the roomiest; but I suggest at that width, looking for a 3H and removing a divider. Cramming a horse into a trailer that is just barely big enough could be what creates "bad loaders".... It's not just the space being in there - it's the space to back out again too. My older horse prefers to at least cock his head a little bit when backing out.

As a matter of fact, when I did put him in a friend's slant load with rear tack, and he was in rear stall for the first time, I had to drop the bars on the window so he could move forward a bit in order to get his butt angled to back out.

TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-17 4:12 PM (#144912 - in reply to #144838)

Your measurement must be on the diagonal which IMO is not a good indicator of stall length. I think it is more accurage to measure along the divider to know for sure how much room your horse will have.

My horse is over 16 hands and loooong, and he has plenty of room in the 3rd stall of my 7'6" slant Sundowner. He moves his butt into the corner and that gives him the room he needs. No doubt the 6'8" would have been too narrow.

As another poster said, it can take some practice to get in and out of that back stall, but lots of people do it and my horse self loads and unloads in that stall easily. My other horse is 15.2 and has plenty of room in the middle stall.

Logan makes a very, VERY nice trailer with large stalls, but the trailers are longer to accomodate that. I just bought my Sundowner but seriously considered the Logan. The weight of the Logan was a disadvantage to me since it was over 1000 lbs heavier than the SD.

I will add that my trailer does NOT have mangers. My opinion is that mangers interfere with the horse's ability to move their feet and balance.

Many trailer brands had exactly the same stall length but some (like Logan) were considerably longer and some were significantly shorter.

Having said all that, I sold my older 2H SD straight load to buy the 3H slant. If I just wanted a 2H trailer I would get a straight load with the escape doors on each side. I loved that trailer, so easy to load and so much room for my big horse. But with a 3H a slant is a better option especially if you want a LQ.
arrestado
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2012-06-18 7:00 AM (#144919 - in reply to #144838)

My guy was 17.1H uber long bodied Dutch warmblood. I had to use the last stall of my 8' wide trailer that measured 143". Absolutely no way he would fit in a 6'8" wide unless dividers were removed and he had the whole thing as a box stall.
Colt love
Reg. Jan 2019
Posted 2019-05-22 9:54 AM (#172400 - in reply to #144838)

New User

I think industry slowly realizing the need for larger slant stalls.
Featherlite trailers have an option for 50" wide stalls. Compare that to usual 35" stalls. Trails West has WB 45" stalls. Last slant usually measures 5" longer. You can also order a custom width of trailer in 7'6" or 8" wide for more room. Hawk can design a custom extra big slant trailer for a reasonable price.

The cheapest way to get a WB slant is to buy 3 horse and remove one partition.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)