'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question for the trailer pulling people here

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-22 5:31 PM
26 replies, 9958 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-06-22 4:47 PM (#145049 - in reply to #144597)
Subject: RE: Question for the trailer pulling people here

Extreme Veteran

2001 Ford F350 with 4x4. 187,000 miles. The 4x4 has been flawless, no repairs or service needed. But, it is the kind you get out of truck and go manually lock the hubs on the wheels. Truck is also manual transmission.

If I am camping out in the middle of no where, not in a campground, and conditions change, such as a rain storm turning that perfect ground in to a muddy mess, I want to have the best chances of getting out of there on my own. We knew when we decided on the truck, we were not always going to be in perfect conditions, would take the back roads, and that when you need 4x4, you usually really need it. While we have only had to use it maybe a dozen or so times to get ourselves unstuck over the years since we got it (2001), we have used it for added traction on steep gravel roads, sudden snow/ice conditions here at home etc. more than that.

I'm a fan, and would get 4x4 again if we changed trucks. But its kind of like anything, you are going to get rave reviews from those who have it, and those who don't, will feel that same enthusiasm for NOT having it.

Each needs to decide where they plan to take their rigs, the type of camping, roads, and normal winter conditions to decide if it is worth it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zipitude
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-06-22 5:31 PM (#145050 - in reply to #144597)
Subject: RE: Question for the trailer pulling people here

Veteran

I agree with the majority of people on this thread. I for one will always have a 4x4. My 2002 GMC 3500 has 208,000 miles on it, and have never had a 4x4 related problem. When camping off road in grassy areas, or areas of steep hills, 4x4 is a must. I have had to use 4 low for the gearing to pull up a steep hill coming out of a camping area before on a gravel road. I have also had instances where 4x4 wasn't enough to get out after a heavy rain came through after being set up and the the truck and trailer settled over a 3 day weekend. Had to get pulled out with a tractor that time! I may not need to use the 4x4 very often, but its worth its weight in gold when I do!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)