'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for a new trail horse~

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-08 8:26 AM
10 replies, 6012 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-05 7:32 AM (#144546)
Subject: Looking for a new trail horse~

Extreme Veteran

I read the rules and didn't see where this post is prohibited, so......

My horse was the one whose leg got pulverized in the hitchin' rail accident. At best, he'll be a painfree pasture pet. So I'm hoping to have a new trail horse by late summer.

My best horses seem to have found me, and I'm thinking this might be a great place to put out "feelers". I've ridden Arabians and still prefer at least a part Arab gelding trailhorse. So if any of you know of a great place to start looking, please pass on any tips. I've been surfing dreamhorse, equinehits, equinenow and even craigslist. Any other good resources? Or maybe you know of an owner who is forced to part with a good trail gelding.

I have a website devoted to my camping, riding and horse adventures. I'm not a trader, just a trailrider who loves the outdoors from the back of a good horse. Aside from family, it's the best life can offer.

Edited by aceliberty 2012-06-05 7:33 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-06-05 3:29 PM (#144563 - in reply to #144546)
Subject: RE: Looking for a new trail horse~

Elite Veteran

Did you try endurance.net. .I am partial to Arabs. My last one died in 2009 and now have TWH. Again, I am so sorry for the horrific accident.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-06-05 7:45 PM (#144573 - in reply to #144546)

Elite Veteran

Try a standardbred off the track. They are awesome horses with a good mind and can really easily be trained to ride. They have great endurance and are level-headed unlike most Thoroughbreds off the track. Most have great feet and can be left barefoot out in pasture as well. You don't need to be a trainer to get them under saddle either. I started both mine off the track. Absolutely love their willingness and easy going temperaments. They are fast learners and love to go for a ride. Mine took so well to camping and hi-lining and everything else I have put them too.( like they had done it all their life) They trailer well and are trained to tie and cross-tie unlike their Thoroughbred counter-parts. You can get one for free most places or around $500- Train them your self or take to a trainer for 2 months. Either way.. right off the track they haven't been messed up by other bad riders or learned any bad habits yet. I got both mine at 3 and 4 years old. A friend got a 12 year old and sent him to the trainer and he is an awesome horse. Since they have pulled a cart on the track, they already know how to turn and whoa. So putting a saddle on them and lungeing them and or leading them around the trails before you ride them is an easy way to start. The first time I got in the saddle, my mom lead them around as I just sat there. Both were fine. So I rode in the round pen for a couple weeks and worked on the "bending" (they will be stiff necked at first)so do some basic dressage bending and half-halts, getting them to round their backs and get the head-set correctly. Mine are both "pacers" not trotters so they are both gaited (rack).
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-06 8:13 AM (#144589 - in reply to #144546)

Extreme Veteran

Jackbrat,

Tks for your kind suggestion, but I will admit to getting a chuckle out of it. You see, I live in the midst of a huge Amish community. They all drive buggies pulled by Standardbreds, some of which originate at the the track. The majority of the horses are very level headed and extremely traffic safe. Many of our Amish have now started riding horses~something that you rarely saw prior to a few years ago. However, almost all of the saddle horses are TWH.

I hope to get the Arabian tendency out of my head, but I guess it's my heart tugging at my senses. I've ridden Arab for over 40 years, and they've always proved to be such faithful trail partners. 

If you're ever looking for another Standarbred, you can always come shop here in my "neighborhood". You'd have lots to pick from.   

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-06-06 8:32 AM (#144590 - in reply to #144546)

Elite Veteran

Truly sorry about your horse. I use to ride SE Arabs for years. I have one retired mare left. They are incredible partners with a lot of heart. I now ride a QH who although physically different, reminds me of my Arabs, a lot of heart, smart and a personality that wants to be with me. If your heart is gravitating towards another Arab, get another Arab.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-06 9:14 AM (#144592 - in reply to #144546)

Extreme Veteran

My first experience was about 44 years ago when I married a local and didn't know a soul. He introduced me to a lady who rode Arabs. That's how I got my start. It's been a great "ride" ever since. When I was looking for a "backup" horse a few years back, I saw that Quiz's Arab side was a direct line to the purebred I was riding at the time. Quiz has the head and heart of my purebred who succumbed to a ruptured cecal tumor. Now, that is a story all to itself.

Tks for your input. I think it's the endorsement I need while working through my deep sadness. Trying real hard to keep a stiff upper lip.

yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-06-06 8:17 PM (#144625 - in reply to #144546)

Veteran

If you decide to look for a "off track" horse, just Google "new vocations", they have adoptable horses some at no $$$, but you have to qualify for adoption. I know a lady that adopted a standard bred from them and she uses him for endurance rides as well as on the trail. They have bonded and he is her favorite mount, they really provide a needed service. Sometimes the horses are not rideable due to prior injuries, and they let you know up front what the horses problems are...check-em out. The horses that become ready for adoption are constantly changing also.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-06-06 11:22 PM (#144633 - in reply to #144546)

Expert

We are avid trail riders also,and for us there is only one kind of trail horse and that is a gaited one,and,the one would be a Missouri Foxtrotter.We now have 4 and together have bought or raised 12 since we married in 1999.They are gentle,versatile,bred for the rugged terrain of the Ozarks,and,just a terrific all around horse.Wish you'd consider one for your next horse,and,no,I'm not selling any,just think you would not regret having one.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-06 11:28 PM (#144635 - in reply to #144546)

Extreme Veteran

I've actually considered one. The purebred Arab I rode for years was not typey at all. He was also "gaited", little did I know. It was a trait passed down from his sire; it was called an "amble" but gaited folks said it was a "one beat". I don't know anything about that, but he sure looked great in parades when I'd step him into it.

Littleman was often mistaken for a MFT. I've ridden with some real nice ones. Since I've done a lot of rides down in MO, I've seen a lot of them. If I can get out of an Arab mideset, that's the way I'd go. It would have to walk slow since all my buddies ride Arabs or Qr Horses.

Tks.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-06-07 10:18 AM (#144642 - in reply to #144546)

Expert

Keep looking for a an arabian! I love them. I do know of a pal here in northern Mi who has a nice bay mare for sale..out of your area but message me for details if it might suit.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-08 8:26 AM (#144666 - in reply to #144546)

Extreme Veteran

I started to write back last evening, but hit the wrong key, and wham....my message disappeared. I have a half arab filly I'm hoping to sell. She's nice, pretty, desensitized and quiet but........she's a "she". I really want a gelding. I should never have bought her in the first place. Broke all my rules.

Tks and keep me in mind if a nice little arab gelding is available.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)