'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Arizona Horse Property advise...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-14 3:04 PM
10 replies, 6091 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-05-31 8:55 PM (#144387)
Subject: Arizona Horse Property advise...

Hello, my husband, Bruce, and I, Jackie, are currently looking to move to Arizona from our ranch in Northern California. We are both retired and looking to just saddle up and ride from the property. We have been looking from Prescott Valley up to Flagstaff. We are from the mountains and would prefer to stay in the higher elevations. Our question is if anyone here is a trail rider from AZ and what suggestions you could provide. We would really appreciate any suggestions to help us make a good decision!!We have owned horses for years and now down to Morgans and a Bashkir Curly. Thank you all... waving helloJackie
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-05-31 9:57 PM (#144391 - in reply to #144387)
Subject: RE: Arizona Horse Property advise...

Elite Veteran

DON'T tell them your from California! People hate us.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-06-02 9:21 AM (#144430 - in reply to #144387)

Extreme Veteran

My Wife and I are also looking to move to the area around Flagstaff. We found a great area just north of town, called Doney Park. It is one of the only developments with it's own water company, and as you probably know, water is the deciding factor in where you live in Arizona's north. From the Doney park area, you can ride out to State lands, or go north to the Nat. Forest, and even ride to Sunset Craters. This area is close to the major Highway, so access in winter is still Ok. The smallest parcels are around 1 acre, and the north end parcels are usually larger, and have direct trails to the state lands. I also loved the area around Show Low, and west along the Mogollon Rim.
ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-03 3:41 PM (#144475 - in reply to #144387)

We will look at that area thank you!!! Not wanting a lot of property, we both are retired and would be happy with 5 acres, anything else is too much to take care of.
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-06-04 4:04 PM (#144519 - in reply to #144387)

Veteran

I am from AZ...I ride mostly in Prescott/Parks/Flagstaff areas when it is too hot down here...have done some riding over in Payson area...

What specifically are you wanting info about?

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-04 10:55 PM (#144535 - in reply to #144387)

Basically, looking for property that we can ride from to access good trails. Not looking to ride on busy highways or trespass to reach trails. Not looking to trailer to ride, thou we don't mind an occasional trailer trip. We also are looking at accessible lakes for boating and fishing. We are used to the mountains and want higher elevations. We don't mind remote or rural, we are that already and prefer it. But as I gather more grey hair it would be nice to have a grocery store within a 30 min drive and large box stores within that time frame would be heaven! We are simple folks, don't need some extra fancy 5000 sq foot home. Don't need a lot of acreage, not going to be running any stock. With the right amenities we could be happy with just a few acres of flat or slightly rolling land.
ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-04 11:07 PM (#144536 - in reply to #144535)

So LOL! having said all that my answer to your question is looking for a good horse community with trail support.
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-06-05 8:58 AM (#144550 - in reply to #144387)

Veteran

Depending on where in Prescott, there are some nice areas to 'ride out from your property'. If you are looking for more rural but still close to amenities...try Parks, Williams and even just north/nw of Flagstaff...Williams and Parks have trees and trails but still close to Flag for stuff. The area in Flag I am referring to is at the base of the San francisco Peeks...there are tons of properties and you can ride for hours! Most of that area is forest land

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-10 4:20 PM (#144706 - in reply to #144550)

Thank you!! We are planing another scouting trip in another month or so. We will be sure to look at property in these areas.
AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-06-10 4:46 PM (#144707 - in reply to #144387)

Veteran

Prescott is mostly 'high desert' with the exception of the groom creek area which is up in the mts. North of Prescott towards Ash Fork is more trees but when you get to I40 east to Flag will be trees. West you head towards Kingman....again high  desert. Seligman is cheap and has juniper pines and scrub with some pines. Eastern AZ in the White Mts is awesome, up by Payson. Morman Lake area is also pine trees.

Good luck!

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-14 3:04 PM (#144813 - in reply to #144387)

Great information!! So looking forward to scouting out these areas!! Thank you for your assistance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)