'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Traveling with horses and or mules

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-14 4:59 PM
9 replies, 6585 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-05-19 5:10 PM (#144064)
Subject: Traveling with horses and or mules

Elite Veteran

How far do most people travel without unloading the animals. Because of an emergency back home I once traveled 24 hours from Colorado to Louisiana. I have regularly travel 10-15 hours without removing them. I have a freind that says I am asking for trouble. He stops every 4-5 hours and unloads them and walk them for 5-10 minutes. I travel with mules if anyone thinks this makes a difference. I am interested in hearing opinons. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-05-19 6:18 PM (#144065 - in reply to #144064)
Subject: RE: Traveling with horses and or mules

Extreme Veteran

It is not so much a matter of how far you go without unloading them, as it is, how long do you go with the engine on the vehicle running. It is the vibration from the engine that causes fatigue and leg problems. Most over the road haulers of livestock will shut their engine down with each fuel stop, or about every 4 to 5 hours.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-05-19 7:02 PM (#144067 - in reply to #144064)

Extreme Veteran

While I don't personally care to travel for that long, we have hauled 11ish hours. We never unload our horses unless we are stopping for the night at a horse motel or something like that. It is my opinion that you are asking for trouble when you unload horses at rest stops, etc. It's good to shut down every so often and let them have a chance to rest/pee but they will do just fine without being unloaded. We have done a fair amount of traveling and have never had a problem. The most important thing is that the horses/mules are comfortable in the trailer they are in and can lower their heads if needed.

Now you have my opinion :)

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-05-20 5:26 PM (#144099 - in reply to #144064)

Expert

I have hauled 11 hours ( and I know many who haul to shows that are even a 2 day drive) they never unload and don't stop that often. The important thing is to get there as fast as you can and get them off the trailer. You don't know what might happen if they slip while unloading or spook while walking around ( I know some horses don't spook but these are HORSES and anything can happen) My last haul was 9 hrs and I only stopped for fuel and bathroom breaks. The horse was fine in the trailer besides in this case there was no way I was unloading a horse that had never been hauled before. We were lucky to get him in the first time. I don't usually tie so they can get their heads down,I might offer water but frankly unless its a real long haul mine don't drink and there is a hay bag but again mine never ate much while traveling anyway ( now a multiday drive is a different story) I don't put on leg wraps as they either unwrap or slide down and now you have another problem plus in hotter weather they can make horse over heat-ditto for blankets or sheets. Some people arrange for a over night stop at barns/stables or fairgrounds. I don't think your friend is correct in this case.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-05-21 3:22 AM (#144122 - in reply to #144064)

Extreme Veteran

QUOTE"It is my opinion that you are asking for trouble when you unload horses at rest stops, etc.

Unloading anywhere is strictly dependent on the training you've given the horses.

I'm made trips with horses that, had never been touched, until I put them in the trailer. No way I'd try and unload and reload them. They managed just fine for the 4 day trip. They had free choice of hay the entire trip and I offered them water twice a day.

I never hesitate to unload our regular riding stock almost anywhere. Rest stops, truck stops, along side a major interstate, anyplace within reason, is never a problem with them. They have been taught to behave regardless of where they might be.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2012-05-21 3:23 AM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-05-25 8:48 PM (#144222 - in reply to #144064)

Expert

It makes adifference with mules, they stay hydrated easier, and take the travel better, generally.  I woudn't be concerned at all with what you describe.  Stopping for fuel, killing the motor, giving em a chance at water and a pee break, you should be good.  Always good to keep an eye on them as you know them best.  We have hauled this way from AR to MT with no trouble at all.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2012-05-28 7:07 AM (#144251 - in reply to #144064)

Extreme Veteran

When I was riding endurance I'd drive 3-4 hrs, stop at out of the way truck stops, get fuel, unload my horse, let him walk around, eat grass, pee, and sometimes even use the water hoses at the fuel pumps to cool him off. He was fine loading and unloading in strange places.

Now would I do that w/ my hi strung dressage horse??  No way!  We drive for a few hrs, stop and open the trailer doors, offer water then get back on the road.     Most horses won't drink well in the trailer so I'll  feed watermelon in the summer and beet pulp/alfalfa cube  slurry for  hydration.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-05-28 10:46 PM (#144269 - in reply to #144064)

Extreme Veteran

It's strictly a matter of opinion, but since you asked.......

We've hauled from IL out to AZ, WY and CO and numerous other long distances. None of my horses ever drank or ate much enroute. I fretted the first few times but learned that it was usually the case no matter the horse nor circumstances weather-wise. Our stops were for fuel and usually 4 hours. We never exceeded that. We shoot for no longer than a 12 to 14 hour maximum day's travel. We always overnight at horse motels and have had great experiences using them. (www.horsetrip.com and www.horsemotel.com

Frankly, I'd never unload. I think it's an accident just waiting to happen. (Read my post about tired calm horses and hitching rails. Poop happens.)

Something that I always do each morning before departure is to administer a probiotic, either Fastrack or DAC DDA supplement.

Good luck and safe travels.

ibtilton
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2012-06-14 3:30 PM (#144816 - in reply to #144269)

Hi Ace! Thank you for suggesting this forum. Waving hello! Great advise you gave.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-06-14 4:59 PM (#144819 - in reply to #144064)

Extreme Veteran

Back at ya, Jackie. Hope to meet up with you in person sometime. But great "talking" to you online.

A good friend took me riding today; first time on an AQHA mare. (I get teased about having Arabian geldings.) We had a great time in the woods brush popping. Me~6 ticks, Bill~0    My horse~lost count at 16 ticks, Bill's horse~2    Guess who lead the whole day on the "trails"?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)