'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
HORSE RACING......... CONTINUED

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-06 2:40 PM
2 replies, 4239 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-30 8:16 AM (#142645)
Subject: HORSE RACING......... CONTINUED

Expert

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/us/jockey-club-proposes-ban-on-race-day-drugs-for-horses.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120330
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-03-30 11:15 AM (#142652 - in reply to #142645)
Subject: RE: HORSE RACING......... CONTINUED

Expert

why is it that they have to wait until a lot of people and horses died before there say that this is  not right
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-04-06 2:40 PM (#142859 - in reply to #142645)
Subject: RE: HORSE RACING......... CONTINUED

Extreme Veteran

It is a long time problem. One everyone in the industry know about. However, one can't expect an industry to self regulate without actual regulations. After all, as long as doping the horses is legal, from Bute to Lasix, I do believe steroids are no longer accepted, and everything in between, they will keep doing it as long as they think it gives them an edge. Most know how to ride the edge,that is where the drug won't show up when tested on race day, but continue to use it for training. Even knowing the disastrous results of doing so. Money sadly is a powerful driving force.

As far as I'm concerned, it's been a downhill slope since allowing Lasix/Salix. As, rather then breeding out bleeders, the Thoroughbred industry continues to breed them as there is a 'quick' fix and some popular bloodlines carry the gene. More so, as a once trainer told me, it wasn't hard to make a non bleeder bleed in order to race on Lasix. Why did he do that? Because the horses performed better on Lasix. Their are still horsemen that will tell you Lasix doesn't improve a horses performance, but the research may have proven that it does improve a horses performance, though the study has been hit with a lot of criticism and denial. Either way, if people believe the drug will improve a horses performance they will make sure their horses can run with it. Even if perhaps in the long run it is not good for the horse. The horse can't really just stop and say, 'Hey, I'm having these side effects, maybe we shouldn't be using this stuff.' Side effects of Lasix. http://stablemade.com/hproducts/drugs/lasix.htm This particlular side effect is a red flag for breakdowns perhaps? "The major side effect of all diuretics is the danger of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Of particular importance is potassium, which is lost in increased amounts in the urine. Furosemide may also cause decreased levels of blood calcium. Both of these electrolytes are important in normal functioning of heart and skeletal (body) musculature." Humans are silly, the answers are right in front of them, but as long as money is being made they will over look the most simple of answers.

Won't even get into the many more reasons that steroids should never be used to enhance the growth of any animal, be it for racing horses or the animals we eat.

This is a fence I've been riding for many years, as I love the sport of horse racing, the horses love racing, but the use of drugs with the culture of better living through meds has to change. And not just with the horses. It is really hard to go to the track knowing what is going on and very rarely do anymore. The amount of horses not only breaking down, but having catastrophic breakdowns is unacceptable. Not just for the horses, but the safety of the jockeys and exercise riders riding them. Not all breakdowns happen in races and sadly those go largely go unreported.

For those that don't know, I have two ex race horses. One actually raced, won 1 lost 5 (4 of which he was last or 2nd to last). The other was trained to race, but did not actually race, pretty sure he's a bleeder. Which for what I do, not much, has not been an issue.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)