'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
opinions re: easy boots

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-26 4:50 PM
24 replies, 10843 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-03-06 11:54 AM (#141715)
Subject: opinions re: easy boots

Extreme Veteran

I'm writing for a friend whose horse has very thin hoof walls, so she is wanting to use easy boots as opposed to horseshoes. It sounds like her mind is definitely made up, and she's read a lot about Epic boots. She wants me to ask all you trailriders out there for opinions about what kind of boots you use. She needs to know which brand you suggest she avoid and what you might recommend. Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-03-06 3:34 PM (#141719 - in reply to #141715)
Subject: RE: opinions re: easy boots

Elite Veteran

I have found that the Renegade boots work the best in muddy Terrain. They also flex well with the hoof and are easy to put on. I have Old Mac Gen 2 and they are rugged, but challenging to put on. Easy boot gloves are easy.... kinda like slippers, but come off easily in mud.We only use boots in the winter, but have several barefoot friends that use them year round when we travel to rocky areas like MO and OK.You probably have mentioned this to her but the underlying cause of the thin hoofwalls should be looked into. Several ailments cause this.... hormone imbalance, Cushings, metabolic etc. Has she switched farriers? Might just be a poor shoe fit or angle. Hot shoeing or clips work well. I do this with a Cushings mare and her shoes stay on. Have to reset every six weeks to ensure proper fit with her.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-03-06 5:00 PM (#141724 - in reply to #141715)

Elite Veteran

Wonder why returns won't work for text typed on mobile or Kindles? I had returns in my note above!!!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-03-06 5:34 PM (#141726 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

I have used the EasyCare boots for 5 years.  They will protect your horses feet.  The newer products are much easier to put on that the earlier products.  Once you learn to put them on and take them off, And the new boots get uesd a few times, Its not a big deal to use them. Especially the Newer Easyboot Gloves.

Easyboot just released their new Easyboot Backcountry. which are supposed to be even easier to use.

Personally I have kinda exhausted my efforts in using boots. Bushwacking through down timber and heavy brush, my horses are pretty hard on the boots. Broken cables and buckles, torn gaiters etc. I've decided if the horses can't go barefoot, then they are getting shod.  I just don't have the time to boot and un-boot 3-4-5 horses everytime I take some friends riding with me.

If I were buying new boots today, I'd buy and try the newe back country model they just released.

Also using boots requires that keep your horse properly trimmed.  You are not going to have boots fit if you go 8-10 weeks between trimmings.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-03-06 10:00 PM (#141737 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

my friend ride the trails with easy boot and she love them she will neaver have her horse shod again
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-06 10:45 PM (#141738 - in reply to #141715)

Elite Veteran

I have tried all the Easyboot models there are. Except the newest one mentioned on an earlier post. I hated the models that had any cables or latches and such. My horses have torn out of and off all cables and such. These things were always getting bent or something. Those types are a mess. Don't bother with them. What kind of riding does your friend do? Mostly trail at a walk? The best shoe for this is the Cavallo boot. They are easy to put on and take off, they do not come off when riding. Your friend will have to have the feet trimmed more regularly if she is going to boot. Something like 6-7 weeks. All these boots must be fitted right after a fresh trim. Unless she wants to get two pairs and have one size larger for when the hoof grows out at 8 weeks. If your friend does long distance trail and a lot of trotting, I would say the Easyboot Glove. This boot you definately cannot be late on the trim or it will not fit. If it is too easy to get on, than it does not fit.( too big)I have had this boot come off going through water though. Also, check and tighten the screws on these before each use. I had one screw back out the very first time I used the boot. If you are going to ride with boots, you need to start tacking up at least 15 minutes before everyone else because it does take an extra few minutes to boot, especially all 4. The rear are the hardest to boot. Personally, I think the boot companies need to make a boot specially made for the hind feet. The rear pasterns are at more of an angle than the front and this needs to be addressed.The hoof is also more narrow on the sides.Can your friend have the hind shod and boot the front? This would be the easiest way to go. (If it is the front feet she is worried about)The nice thing about booting is, you never worry about going out to catch the horse to go for a ride and he has a missing shoe or one that is hanging half off his hoof. Even a tender soled horse will have much better hoof being barefoot. My guy has been barefoot 4 years now, he will always be tender soled and I have to boot when riding.Oh another thing.... Don't use the boots in the arena or round-pen. If you plan to ride after wards, you will have to get off and take the boots off again and dump all the sand out of the boots before you hit the trail. Otherwise it will cause discomfort to the horse for sure.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-03-07 7:23 AM (#141745 - in reply to #141738)

Extreme Veteran

I used the Easy Boot Epics for a while. They're great for a lot of things but I had all of the issues metioned above. My horses don't need shoes unless we are going to the mountains and then I just put shoes and pads on. It wore me out to put 8 boots on every day. I won a pair of Renegades at a silent auction and I'll never go back to another boot unless they just won't work for the horse that I own. They are sooo much easier to use (and come in nice colors too).

To be fair though, I have not used the gloves or the newer boots out there made by Easy Care. I have a friend that loves the Old Macs and they have lasted through many seasons. I have a friend that used the Cavallo boot and she didn't think they were extremely easy to put on either...but she hadn't used them for long at that point in time. The Renegades are a little more forgiving in the hoof growth department too.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2012-03-07 8:21 AM (#141748 - in reply to #141715)

Extreme Veteran

If your friend is a casual rider, they might get by with boots. But, if they are serious riders, they'll never be happy with boots. They simply do not make a boot, and probably never will, that will stay on for serious riding and not rub the horse raw.. I've seen a few that stayed on fairly well, but they rubbed sores on the horse.

Think about it. It is impossible to get a boot to fit so tight that mud, sand, dirt etc, can not get in the boot. Do you really want all of that junk in there rubbing sores.

We've ridden with a lot of riders that think barefoot is the way to go. The only ones that are serious riders, and do it successfully, ride more than one horse and only use the boots occasionally. I've seen a whole lot of sore feet from trying barefoot..

My horses are shod year around and just don't give me problems. If you have a good farrier, you can have healthy feet shod a lot easier than you can barefoot. Paint Horse, is one of the most successful barefoot riders we've met, and he rides more than one horse, and still has sore feet occasionally. Thin hoof walls are not a problem to a good farrier.
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-03-08 5:19 PM (#141830 - in reply to #141715)

Regular

We ride extensively at Mt Rogers NRA which is very rocky. Often we come across people who believe they can ride barefoot. It never works out. For the welfare of the horse, if riding in rocky and/or muddy areas, shod all around is a requirement. The person with a horse with thin hoof walls should seek other farriers and try Biotin supplements. It takes at least least 6 months on Biotin to see results.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2012-03-10 9:02 AM (#141902 - in reply to #141715)

Extreme Veteran

My friend is following through with boots, so I will copy all your posts. She's owned the horse about a year, and she's had him on DAC biotin ever since.

I sure appreciate all your input, Friends. Thanks to all for the responses.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-15 4:51 PM (#142160 - in reply to #141715)

Elite Veteran

Ok- watched a youtube video on Easyboots very newest boot. (The Easy boot Glove  back country) This looks to be a better boot than the Cavallo boot for sure. It is made with the Easyboot Glove boot. (Which I think the Glove  to be awesome)It has a soft flap that fits around the bulbs of the heels. ( This is where most rubs occure- heel bulbs)Then the back wraps around the protected heel bulb parts. ( A much better design) I would try this boot out for sure!

Tara

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-15 4:54 PM (#142161 - in reply to #142160)

Elite Veteran

Valley Vet has the new boots in their newest spring 2012 edition catalogue. Plus they have free shipping on purchases over $100-
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-03-15 6:45 PM (#142165 - in reply to #141715)

Extreme Veteran

RE: Bob's post about boots rubbing and not working for lots of miles, etc...Google Karen Chaton. She recently rode the entire pony express ride in Easy Boots and has ridden exclusively in them for years. This ride was 2,000 or 2,500 miles. I can't remember exactly but it was loooong. A properly applied boot will work in just about any situation.

I have my own reasons for booting or not but I know they can be used for extensive riding. Just ask those 100 mile endurance riders. They're not out for a happy walk in the park! :)

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-03-15 8:14 PM (#142168 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

Most of the distance riders are taking boots to the extreme.  They wrap the hoof with vet wrap or tape, fill the boot with Goober glue or Vettc to glue the boot on. They are putting  lot more effort into their boots than most folks want to spend for an afternoon ride.

So can hoof boots be used for distance rides.  Absoutely with the exra effort.

So it's not fair to say you can't use boots for distance rides, but it's also not fair to disclose the extra effort tat it requires.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2012-03-18 1:20 PM (#142240 - in reply to #142168)

Extreme Veteran

Point taken Painted horse. You are correct. Those 100 milers do work pretty hard to keep the boots on. I should have mentioned that. Some of those people do use boots regularly on training rides though and I don't think that they do as much to keep them on as they would in competition. Especially those that ride lower mileage. It's sort of like saddles, it's important to get the right type of boot for the hoof you are trying to fit.

I have used boots on one trip riding about 10-15 miles each day with no issues, then used the same boots on another trip with similar conditions and they rubbed. (Actuallly, the gaitors rubbed not the boots themselves.) That's why I now use shoes. I don't have the time or patience to mess with them anymore when I'm on vacation.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2012-03-24 4:05 PM (#142449 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

Just a footnote.  I worked an endurance race last weekend, there were 20 25 milers, and 20 50 milers.  The largest number of "lost and found" items were a large collection of various boots, including one renegade.  There was particular attention by the vets for horses wearing hoof or leg protection of various types for rubs etc.  I was a pulse checker and ride EMT, so was very interested in the vet station, it was right by ours.... just observations...
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-03-24 8:21 PM (#142451 - in reply to #141715)

Veteran

question:   we trail ride..no mountains, basically midwest riding.southern Ill, southern Ind, etc.  10-15 miles per day tops...  those of you who use boots, would you recommend all 4 or fronts only...my gelding has a rotated coffin bone in right front foot..shod, he is good to go ..no problem..I never ride barefoot, he is shod for ridng season..  I do have him barefoot all winter and he does fine..but I have been considering the boots for this  riding season.. as opposed to being shod...suggestions/ comments welcome. Thank you!
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-03-24 8:22 PM (#142452 - in reply to #141715)

Veteran

also...am I to understand these boots should NOT be used on a shod foot?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-03-24 8:56 PM (#142454 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

They are designed to fit a barefoot horse.  And generally one in good trim.  Too long between trims and the boots won't fit.   I guess you could oversize the boot to fit over a shoe., But why?

tdnranch
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-24 9:34 PM (#142458 - in reply to #141715)

New User

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2012-03-25 9:03 AM (#142465 - in reply to #142451)

Originally written by To Much Trouble on 2012-03-24 9:21 AM

question:   we trail ride..no mountains, basically midwest riding.southern Ill, southern Ind, etc.  10-15 miles per day tops...  those of you who use boots, would you recommend all 4 or fronts only...my gelding has a rotated coffin bone in right front foot..shod, he is good to go ..no problem..I never ride barefoot, he is shod for ridng season..  I do have him barefoot all winter and he does fine..but I have been considering the boots for this  riding season.. as opposed to being shod...suggestions/ comments welcome. Thank you!

Hi,

I've been booting or barefoot with one or both of my horses since 2006. IMHO, being barefoot in the winter, has not much bearing on whether you can go barefoot for trail riding. It depends on a lot of factors, including your horse's hooves, how you have him trimmed (riding trim is not a pasture trim), the terrain where you ride vs the terrain where the horse is pastured, the type of boots... your experience. I have one horse that I did just what you're saying - he'd been bare all winter but usually was shod for riding. One summer I had him booted in front and bare in back. Next summer bare all 'round unless the trail is very rocky then I boot the fronts. He has hooves of steel.. not literally of course. I do have boots for his hinds just in case he shows any issues. If there's any question, I put them in his saddle pack. IF his home conditions were rocky, I could get him to be okay on rocky terrain, but it's not as is the case for most people I think. The other horse was my first to boot - as part of rehabbing for founder. Now I usually boot her all 'round for the trail. We ride barefoot at home. She might be able to go barefoot more on the trail but why risk it. I'm now using the Gloves and just bought two of the back country model for her hinds which have been problematic to fit. Like you, 10-15 miles per day tops. I have lost one boot in the mud - gaiter velcro was old and it snapped off. The mare has tipped off a back boot a couple times until I put on power straps. But those I just got off and re-installed. Downside - they are a PITA to clean off the mud. I have to trim at 3 weeks (learned to do that myself). With the Gloves, neither horse has ever had a rub. Other boots are not so picky to fit, but I find to be tooo clunky (ie Cavallos). With Bares or Epics I'd often use either Body Glide or medicated powder to avoid rubs, esp in new boots until they break in. Renegades don't fit a round hoof but they sure are pretty! If I had 8 horses to trim and boot.. forget it!!! LOL

Mj

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-03-25 10:15 AM (#142466 - in reply to #141715)

Veteran

No it is not rocky where we live or the pasture situation..my farrier recommended barfoot for the winter as the snow and ice getting packed in his feet were a huge concern and he says it gives the hooves a chance to toughen up...but to ride him he has to be shod because of the rotated coffin bone..no way will I ride him barefoot.  I was considering boots ( not sure which ones yet) for riding this season..and keeping him barfoot.  I had never heard of the boots being used on a shod horse..so I asked...In the past when we go somewhere rough / rocky  I usually had pads put on to help in avoiding damage to the sole...

I am still on the fence about the boots..lost in the mud, parts breaking, rubbing,   it is starting to sound like more trouble than they are worth... JMHO

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-03-25 6:29 PM (#142476 - in reply to #141715)

Expert

I went 5 years barefoot, and my horse covered almost any kind of terrain you can imagine barefoot.  I only booted for the 2nd or 3 rd day of a ride. I never had a rub, never lost a boot in mud or snow. Usually if I lost a boot it was because I rode through some think bush, downed timber etc. By time you notice it's gone, you are wondering, do I really want to go back through that mess of pick up sticks to try and find the lost boot.  We also often had boots pulled off when they got wedged between rocks on the trail.

I still leave my horses barefoot most of the year. I have a pile of boots I use if I'm out for a serious ride in the off season. But when summer comes, I've decided it's easy to spend an hour an put shoes on every 8 weeks than to mess with boots on the trail. They always get lost, tear or get damaged when I'm the farthest point away from my trailer and spares.  Trails like these, The boots will protect the hooves until they break or get stuck between the rocks and pull off.

And the end up looking like these at the end of the day,  The stayed on, But basially need to be replaced.

I rarely boot the rear feet.  usually doing the front hooves is enough.  I ride the desert a lot in the spring. But these are cabin fever rides where we trailer someplace for a long weekend of riding.  Too early in the year too need shoes for more than the one weekend. So boots work for that weekend.  This horse was shod, but show the terrain that we ride

It is all about your commitment level for keeping the horse trimmed and the time spent putting on and taking off boots.  One horse is no big deal.  If you need to tack up 4 horses like I usually do, I decided it's just too much time  If my horses can't do it barefoot,  They are getting sod.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2012-03-25 8:13 PM (#142478 - in reply to #141715)

Elite Veteran

Like I said the easiest to apply would be the Cavallo boots. Yes, they are "clunky" but they will do the job and not come off. What I finally found to work for the rubbing on the heel bulbs is moleskin. I bought a role of "moleskin" with sticky adhesive on the backing and stuck it to the back (inside) of the cavallo boots and it worked. No rubbing. Just be sure to clean the inside of the boot or do this when boot is new before use would be best. And when it is warm or leave the boots in a warm area or in the house after applying the sticky moleskin. adhesives always "set" better in warm conditions.

Also, have the hind feet shod and boot the front. A friend of mine does this and I think I will do the same this summer. The hind feet are always the hardest to boot. Also, this is less wear and tear on your back because yes.... it is tedious.

Good luck!

To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-03-26 4:50 PM (#142506 - in reply to #141715)

Veteran

PaintedHorse..fabulous pix..you are very lucky to have such a spectaular places to ride..I am envious   ;)

Thanks for a peek into your riding terrain and riding conditions..I feel so silly, after seeing where you ride, to be so concerned..LOL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)