'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
MANURE

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-04 9:13 AM
10 replies, 6591 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-02-25 10:10 PM (#141443)
Subject: MANURE

Expert

Manure... An interesting fact

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were
quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I.
I had always thought it was a golf term!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2012-02-26 2:17 PM (#141458 - in reply to #141443)
Subject: RE: MANURE

Veteran

ROFLMAO...now thats is an interesting topic...say around the campfire this summer...THANKS
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-02-28 9:50 AM (#141532 - in reply to #141443)

Veteran

Interesting - why then is it considered a cuss word ??  Not that I do -- but our society does..

slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-02-28 8:47 PM (#141541 - in reply to #141443)

Regular

Gard, Are you aware that this year, in PA, we all need manure management plans? Horse owners with only a few horses used to be exempt. Now, if you have even 1 horse, or a 4-H goat, etc, you need a manure management plan. No more than 2000 lbs of animal per acre of spreading, can't be within so many feet of a stream, and we have to keep track of when, where and how many tons of manure were spread. My husband picked up the information, so I'm going to let him figure out our plan for SHIT (Stow High In Transit)!!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-02-28 9:39 PM (#141543 - in reply to #141443)

Expert

NY did this to us a few year back now you have to have your manure remove to a place that will take care of it ( make it top soil) they charge for pickup and charge  for top soil now that is a lot of MANURE
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-03-01 8:32 AM (#141580 - in reply to #141443)

Expert

Gard, Are you aware that this year, in PA, we all need manure management plans? Horse owners with only a few horses used to be exempt. Now, if you have even 1 horse, or a 4-H goat, etc, you need a manure management plan. No more than 2000 lbs of animal per acre of spreading, can't be within so many feet of a stream, and we have to keep track of when, where and how many tons of manure were spread. My husband picked up the information, so I'm going to let him figure out our plan for SHIT (Stow High In Transit)!!

No, I did not know about the plans. Our current manure disposal for four horses, includes fertiliizing our neighbours' gardens and our pastures. We keep a small plie that is allowed to rot for the boss's plants, and those of her friends. In exchange, all summer long we are the recipients of numerous home grown garden products.

Our stream, in the woods, is well away from our fields. It does run through our neighbours property which include pastures, and a herd of beef cows that water from it. I wonder if cattle will be held to the same horse standards.

I suppose the gov. will take exception to anything we have done. I can't express enough, the pleasure I take from having other entities decide what is best for us. Are horse owners being contacted with these regulations, or is this one of the laws that if you're "ignorant" about, you're still responsible for the effects? Guess I'll have to check in with our local 4H office and get the lastest info. Thanks for the heads up.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-03-02 9:55 AM (#141614 - in reply to #141580)

Expert

well,I found another reason to be glad I live in Arkansas.They could care less right now.(they'll be the last to catch on,at least) too busy worrying about natural gas fracturing and earthquakes that they have brought on from it.
slowrider
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2012-03-02 7:53 PM (#141622 - in reply to #141443)

Regular

Crowleysridgegirl, we have fracking, too!! That doesn't keep them from nagging us to death about other stuff. All I can say is that my cousin works in the county extension office, they have been reaching out to the Amish who have even 1 horse, and people like us with just a few horses. It is a nightmare for the extension office to try to find all of these places that have just an animal or two!It is a manure management plan that you can do on your own. If it is a concentrated animal operation, they have to do a nutrient management plan (much more complicated).

I looked through the packet hubby brought home about it,it looks like the effective date was 10/29/2011, Land Application of Manure, 361-0300-002. There is a paper with the packet called, "Overview of Manure Management Guidelines for PA Farmers Generating or Using Manure." The first line says, " Who these guidelines pertain to: All farms that generate or use manure, regardless of the size of the farm, including farms that pasture livestock or poultry."

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2012-03-03 7:50 PM (#141643 - in reply to #141443)

Extreme Veteran

PLEASE!Don't let "Kalifornia" hear about this!!They will try to tax it, and we will have to pay tax onb the production of fertilizer and mulch. Orrrr... like Los Angeles City, where we must have a permit for every horse within the city limits, will require a permit for each horses "exhaust".
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-03-03 10:31 PM (#141647 - in reply to #141443)

Expert

your horse is a gas plant
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-03-04 9:13 AM (#141656 - in reply to #141622)

Expert

Originally written by slowrider on 2012-03-02 7:53 PM

Crowleysridgegirl, we have fracking, too!! That doesn't keep them from nagging us to death about other stuff. All I can say is that my cousin works in the county extension office, they have been reaching out to the Amish who have even 1 horse, and people like us with just a few horses. It is a nightmare for the extension office to try to find all of these places that have just an animal or two!It is a manure management plan that you can do on your own. If it is a concentrated animal operation, they have to do a nutrient management plan (much more complicated).

I looked through the packet hubby brought home about it,it looks like the effective date was 10/29/2011, Land Application of Manure, 361-0300-002. There is a paper with the packet called, "Overview of Manure Management Guidelines for PA Farmers Generating or Using Manure." The first line says, " Who these guidelines pertain to: All farms that generate or use manure, regardless of the size of the farm, including farms that pasture livestock or poultry."

I don't think they have enough to do.senators/congressmen should have been more involved in this.(and,maybe they WERE!) but,I mean in favor of the backyard equine pleasure keeping average citizens,who aren't "farmers" or own a "farm." What we deem a "farm" in Arkansas is agricultural land that produces product to SELL.

I meant to say "fraking" instead of fracturing,duh.gotta be careful typing a word like that.Especially in a heated issue such as this one.

Sorry but,I think your county extension office's rules are  as dumb as some of Ark's. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)