'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hawk vs trail-et

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-10-23 5:52 AM
9 replies, 4948 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ken
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2004-08-10 7:49 AM (#12825)
Subject: hawk vs trail-et

New User

I've narrowed my dearch down to these 2 brands.  I'm looking at a 2 horse, bumper pull, straight load with dressing room.  Any insight is appreciated.  Also, this is my first trailer, is there a good time to buy...I will not have a tow vehicle until December, is it better to purchase then or in the spring when I'll actually start using the trailer?  Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-08-10 6:25 PM (#12860 - in reply to #12825)
Subject: RE: hawk vs trail-et

Extreme Veteran

We are dealers for both brands.  Many Trail-et dealers took on the Hawk line when it started up quite some time ago.  Many of the same personnel were involved in both brands.  There is very little difference.  The construction is the same.  There are a few very minor differences in standard features, etc.   You should be happy with the quality of both brands.  Get some pricing on the model that fits your needs, and compare features and prices.    The only advantage you may have in buying now instead of waiting until spring is that there is a good chance that prices will increase before next spring.   You might also find a left-over 2003 or even a 2004 that someone wants to move before winter sets in, and thus save a little money.  E-mail me privately if you wish.
Sundown R
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2004-08-13 10:07 AM (#12973 - in reply to #12825)

I agree with Kay. I carry the Trail-et New Yorker Spirit. I have added a few options to mine. Like the Anniversary package. It gives you a feed bag per stall, a spare tire, the Classic Stripe and Chest/Butt Bar padding. I have also added a Bulkhead window. It is in the wall between the Dressing Room and the Horse Compartment. It sure opens up the trailer for the horses. The Hart and Trail-et are basically the same in construction: Aluminum Skin, Steel Framed, Treated Floor and Insulated Fibergalss Roof. I like Trail-et better as I like the employees there and they have been around since the early 70's.

If you need anything, please feel free to ask.

Randy B

Ken Feagin Truck and Trailer Sales

Fletcher, NC

NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 11:44 AM (#24789 - in reply to #12860)

Hi Kay ~ I was reading through an old thread on Hawks vs. Trail-ets and read your post that stated you were (are?) a dealer for both.

I have a question. I was just looking at new Trail-ets yesterday and really like what I saw. I then went to visit the horse farm right next door to the trailer dealership and they had a Hawk (maybe a year or two old?) sitting on the property that has barely been used and that they *might* be interested in selling. Btw, it's a 2-horse straight with a dressing room and a ramp. I was looking it over and noticed the hinges on the tail curtains. When the tail curtains are closed, the hinges stick out quite a bit at the corners. To me it looks as though  horse could easily get a halter snagged on it, or even hit an eye or scratch their face.

Have you seen what I'm talking about and do you know if there have ever been any issues/problems with that?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-06 12:18 PM (#24791 - in reply to #12825)

Extreme Veteran

The hinges on the storm doors are in that position so that the doors can swing around and pin to the side of the trailer.  Trail-et uses the same system.  I have never had any feedback on problems with the hinges from either brand, and have been selling Trailets since the 1970's and Hawk since their beginning somewhat later.  If I have any preference at all, it would be that I like the latching system for the rear storm doors that Hawk uses much better than the Trail-et system.   E-mail me privately or call me if you wish.
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-06 7:27 PM (#24808 - in reply to #12825)

Regular

I just orderd a 2 horse straight load Hawk with a rear ramp and a side ramp.  I asked about the hinges also because on many other brands the hinges rap around and they do not stick out.  I saved about 5000. on this custom Hawk compaired with a Sundowner with same options.  I hope the hinges will not be a problem.  I have two full swinging doors with windows.  As long as the hinges are not hanging out where a horse catches them self backing out or loading then it should be all good.  I do wish Hawk had hinges like the Sundowners. 
NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 7:19 PM (#24832 - in reply to #24791)

Great ~ thanks so much for the response. I don't know why they looked like they stuck out farther than the Trail-et...

Happy Trails!

NCpaintluvr
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 7:21 PM (#24833 - in reply to #24808)

Sounds like a NICE trailer!   ENJOY!
highgatefarm
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-07 7:46 PM (#24835 - in reply to #12825)

Regular

I looked at the hinges again on the Hawk, Trail-et, and Sundowner.  They all look the same.  It must have been another trailer I saw that the hinges that looked hidden when the doors were closed.  I will have to look around.  Good luck on your trailer search.....I am very happy with my choice on a Hawk.
dbelling
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2005-10-23 5:52 AM (#32178 - in reply to #12825)

Regular

I purchased a used 1999 trail-et and am very pleased with it.  It hauls beautiful.  It is a bumper pull 2-horse with a dressing area.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)