'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Round Hay Bale Feeders

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-02-10 6:36 PM
5 replies, 6785 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2012-01-29 9:32 AM (#140369)
Subject: Round Hay Bale Feeders

We feed round hay bales to our horses in the winter. It seems that there is a lot of hay wasted as they eventually walk on the hay  and don't eat a lot of the hay.

Do any of you use the steel round hay feeders that go around the round hay bales? I have heard that they are worthless and a waste of money. But it seems to me that they might save hay.

Can't decide if I should buy some. Let me hear your opinions.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-01-29 3:36 PM (#140374 - in reply to #140369)
Subject: RE: Round Hay Bale Feeders

Regular

I've been feeding round bales for 13 years under a large run-in shed. I use a tractor loader to put a bale in a ring that sits on a concrete slab. This shed is next to the hay barn. Sure the horses waste some hay as any round bale usage will. What I find is that the ring slows down what they waste. Hay builds up in the ring as new bales are added. The horses will burrow down into the hay into pockets. The hay they drag out makes a dry place for them to stand and when we get a dry spell, I clean out the shed with the tractor. I've never fed anything but kept in the dry and fed in the dry round bales, so this may not fit your situation. I feed 4 horses a new 4x4 orchard grass bale once a week or so, depending on the weather.
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-01-29 8:08 PM (#140390 - in reply to #140369)

Veteran

just make sure if ya get a round bale feeder that it doesn't have the pipe around the top type, that can rub the horses manes out, go for the open/slotted type instead

Edited by yeehaw 2012-01-29 8:10 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-01-29 11:20 PM (#140399 - in reply to #140369)

Expert

A friend of ours has used one of these for over a year now, and is very pleased with the results. It fully contains the hay, keeps most of it out of the weather even in the winter, and four animals can use it at the same time without getting in each other's way. There are no sharp edges and an animal can't become trapped. There is little to no waste.

http://www.hayhuts.com/

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2012-01-31 4:19 PM (#140455 - in reply to #140369)

Extreme Veteran

My wife and I just bought our second round bale feeder.  Both of ours are the horse-type, similar to this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/horse-bale-feeder-2168032  We bought a second one because we wanted to feed in two locations.

We've used the cattle-type and they work just fine, except as already mentioned, the horses will rub their manes off.

We get a lot of snow, and we've found the ones with feet on the bottom work a lot better than the ones where the ring sits directly on the ground.  The same is true for wet ground, manure, etc.

I can't imagine feeding round bales without some sort of feeder.  There is still a little waste, but nothing like there would be without a feeder at all.  Every once in a while the hay can be picked up off the ground and put back into the feeder.  Also, you can let the feeder sit nearly empty for a couple days to force the horses to scrounge for the last bits inside the feeder and around it.  Whereas without a feeder, they'll just start walking all over it, and you'll have to feed a new bale sooner.

Pencil out the value.  Say a bale costs $40.  And say a horse eats a bale per month for half the year.  And say you have 2 horses.  Now say the bale feeder saves 20% of the hay.  So, the feeder saves you $16 per month.  So, you've paid for a $300 feeder in 18 feeding months, or about 3 years.  After that, put the $16 per month in your pocket.  Or, spend it on Netflix because you'll have extra time to watch movies in the winter while your NOT putting those extra bales out!

Prairieland
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2012-02-10 6:36 PM (#140737 - in reply to #140369)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to  respond. I  purchased a feeder and hope to save some hay.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)