'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
High Knob in IL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-28 9:06 AM
13 replies, 12054 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crazy
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2011-09-12 12:11 PM (#137457)
Subject: High Knob in IL

New User

I wanted to express my gratitude to JoJo from High Knob campground in beautiful Shawnee National forest in Illinois.  Thank you for all the personal treatment!  We had looked at High Knob years ago and it was rather run down, now, there are new shower houses, flush toilets being put in, fantastic stalls for the horses etc.  We used the high lines to tie our horses, they are free but you could have gate stalls for $3/d brought to your campsite or use their stalls for $4/day, how much more reasonable can you be?!  We camped with 4 other couples from IN and we all loved it.  The trails were fantastic!  With her great directions, we did not get lost.  No bees on the trails by her place, we ran into them alot over by Circle B, not fun.  We'll definitely be back next year, she's promised to take us out!  Woohoo.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mildred
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-12 1:31 PM (#137463 - in reply to #137457)
Subject: RE: High Knob in IL

New User

53 We were also one of the other couples that stayed at High Knob. We have now stayed at 3 different campgrounds in the Shawnee Forest Area Circle B, 34 Ranch, and now High Knob and by far Jo Jo at High Knob blows them all out of the water. A few years back it was very run down but in the past couple years since Jo Jo has gotten it she has really started improving the campground. She has showers and the flush toliets are almost done. There is water and electric at the sites. You can use tie lines, they will also bring pens right to your site for you, or she has a wonderful stall barn that is set up better than any place we have ever stayed. The riding out of High Knob is wonderful as soon as you leave camp within a few feet you are in beautiful rock formation. The campground is wonderful and you couldnt ask for a nicer person running it. She is very accommodating. We cant wait to go back. As said above Jo Jo knows her trails she told us where we wanted to go we never had a problem getting around and the trails out of her place were the only ones we didnt get into bees on. If they know about a spot that has them they go out and kill them. Unlike the other two places we rode out of. At Circle B and 34 Ranch we got into bees bad.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-26 7:31 PM (#137870 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

I just joined this forum minutes ago, and how timely! I was on the phone just hours ago with friends and planning a trip to Shawnee. I was disappointed when High Knob was suggested as I don't care to picket. But after reading these 2 reviews, I'm now leaning towards going there as opposed to the 2 other campgrounds I usually stay at.

Tks for the info, Friends!

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-04 10:19 PM (#138058 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

Just back from camping at High Knob, thanks to having stumbled upon the recent reviews on this site. My friends and I had a AWESOME stay. JoJo and her crew are super. We parked our rigs together in an open area and changed from covered stalls to having pens brought to our sites since there was no rain in the forecast. No problem, and it was so nice having our horses right out our backdoors and within sight. JoJo is so warm and friendly and SO accomodating. She took all the time in the world to answer any questions we had since we were newbies at High Knob. When 2 different trucks limped in with mechanical problems, JoJo and her crew did all they could to help out even offering to taxi the owners to and from the dealership over in Marion! JoJo gave me a quick tour of her improvements, and it's obvious that she's put a lot of time, effort and MONEY into the premises. I'd also like to note that the permanent campers were the friendliest I've ever encountered. On three different occasions, we were invited to join their campfires. I regret that we failed to take up the offers, as we had lights out at 8:00!! And the riding was spectacular, but there again, 2 couples we encountered along a trail invited us to tag along both that day and the next. As our "guides", they lead us to some of the most awesome trails and vistas I've ever seen in all my riding down in the forest! Thanks to Tom, Linda, Denise and Dave for making our stay so special. Can't wait to return to High Knob!
crazy
Reg. Dec 2008
Posted 2011-10-05 6:21 AM (#138065 - in reply to #137457)

New User

In a world where service is a forgotten trait, JoJo and her crew picked up the slack! I'm glad you had a great time. Hope to meet you on the trail someeday:-)
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-18 10:07 AM (#138352 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

Tks to Painted Horse, I can now add some favorite pics taken at my ride at High Knob a few weeks ago. Hope you campers enjoy them.

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-19 8:14 PM (#138377 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

Pic below was taken at the "Meeting Hole"

My horse Quiz at Dead Horse Canyon

(Tks, Painted Horse, for the tips. Flickr uploads failed to work, but persistance paid off; Photobucket worked.)

horsecampr
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2011-10-19 8:30 PM (#138378 - in reply to #138352)

Have you ever been to Double M? Someone had posted they liked it better than High Knob?
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-10-19 9:01 PM (#138380 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

No, but I saw on a map of that part of the forest that Double M isn't too far from the High Knob Campground. I'm going to look into Double M since I've enjoyed riding into different areas of the forest. For years I've always camped at either Bear Branch or Hayes Canyon Campground. But I will be quick to say that I've never gotten tired of the trails located near those 2 camps. Shawnee is hard to beat for its beauty and riding.
2bacowgirl
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2011-11-02 2:34 PM (#138669 - in reply to #137457)

New User

I live in Southern Illinois and have stayed at about all of the campgrounds around Shawnee. All of them have pluses and minuses but overall the riding around Shawnee is hard to beat. Here is a list of most of the campgrounds in the area, Double M-has a great place to eat and Heath is a great host, Hayes Canyon-I have never stayed there but they do have good trails, Bear Branch-good trails and a nice place to eat, Dog Hollow-mostly perm. campers stay there, 34 Ranch nice trails, but the last time we were there the campground was a little run down, Circle B-great trails small campground with some small places may be hard to get a big rig in, Cedar Lake-good trails,swimming hole, fishing ponds, and a lodge, love this place, Bay Creek very nice place to stay as long as you stay in the woods, right next to the trails, and as mentioned before High Knob. All these places offer great riding and I would encourage anyone to try them all out and decide which place they like the best. Cedar lake used to be a good place to go to, but I am not for sure what the condition of the campgroud or trails are like now.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-11-07 10:25 PM (#138778 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

Just back from another quick trip to stay at High Knob Campground. The other times I've gone down in Nov. to other camps, they were literally deserted. Not so at High Knob. My friend and I had such a great time even though our stay was limited to only 3 nights. On Saturday night we gathered in the shed to listen to a lady entertain us with some classic western oldies. There was a good crowd, and many got up and danced. My happy feet joined in when a group of us did the "Electric Slide".

The riding was super as usual. My riding partner had a mishap that was potentially dangerous, but thanks to a calm rider AND calm horse, they both came away with only minor bumps and bruises. Our ride through Rice Hollow to Teepee will have to wait till next year, but at least we experienced part of the ride through the attempt.

What strikes me as special about High Knob are not only JoJo and Amy, who are SO helpful, but also the campers. What a friendly bunch. 2 cowboys campers parked right next to us on our last night's stay, and even though at first we thought they'd "invaded us", they quickly became "our group". Sadly we only shared the campfire with them for only one evening, as my friend and I were leaving the next day after an early morning ride. Wish we could've gotten to know the guys better, as it'd been fun to see how many people/rides we had in common. Nice and polite gentlemen cowboys.

Can't wait to get back down to High Knob next spring. Sorry to say it might be my last camping trip of the season. The riding was terrific and the potential "bad situation" had such a good ending, that we are thankful and it made us all aware that nobody should ever ride alone in Shawnee. And I do believe in "Guardian Angels"!

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-11-13 10:18 PM (#138915 - in reply to #137457)

Extreme Veteran

Update~I'd written JoJo to thank her for another wonderful weekend. On Saturday night we all gathered in the large shed right off of the main office to listen to a camper sing some vintage country and western oldies. Some of the folks even got up and danced, and I managed to get my happy feet to participate in the Electric Slide.

My friend and I headed back to our campers for a good night's rest after a frightful morning ride. When I wrote JoJo I also told her how friendly our 2 new cowboy neighbors were. We shared the campfire with them and exchanged good-byes the next morning. They and their mules were setting out for a 9 hour ride trail blazing. JoJo informed me that it failed to transpire as planned. Both gentlemen got unseated by their mules (bees?). Kevin received a dislocated shoulder while Alan had his 3rd hip replacement once again destroyed. I was told that he also broke his leg. According to Alan, he travels a LOT with his mule. We got into bees on one trail, and I highly suspect that might have been a factor in the guys' dilemma.

We'd sure like to send the guys some get-well wishes, but have no idea of their last names nor addresses. If anyone can send the info my direction, Linda and I would sure like to cheer them up. They were such nice guys. Feel free to send to my personal e-mail aceliberty@hotmail.com

We never know when we might be the next to need the encouragement to get back in the saddle.

Bootlegger
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-05-27 11:18 PM (#152281 - in reply to #137457)

New User

I know Allen and Kevin and they are both doing great and have healed wonderfully! It was a dog that spooked their horses/mules from another group of riders from another campground from what I understand.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2013-05-28 9:06 AM (#152288 - in reply to #152281)

Extreme Veteran

While horse shopping this past spring, a seller was showing me pics of her horses riding down in Shawnee. I thought I recognized Alan in one of her recent pics, and sure enough,  it was him. I learned that he was back in the saddle and thrilled to hear that. He must be both physically and mentally tough. Nice guy; Kevin too. Tell them hi from their neighbors at High Knob.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)