'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a used truck - too old or ok?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-04 1:07 PM
7 replies, 5359 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gryffin
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-01 3:07 PM (#137167)
Subject: Buying a used truck - too old or ok?

New User

I'm considering a 2005 GMC Sierra XD Extended cab (with factory tow package) to haul my new 2H Hawk w/DR. It has the V8 gas engine, just under 68000 miles and is very clean inside and out. It had only one owner. It's priced right where Edmunds says it should be. I've never bought a used vehicle, but since it's a second vehicle, I don't feel that I can justify paying top dollar for a new vehicle. Having said that, I don't want to be stupid and go with something too cheap. I plan to use the truck only for towing 1-2 horses (maybe 2x per month, mostly under 2 hours each way, though 1-2 times per year, it will go on a trip that is 12-15 hours each way), occasionally for winter driving, and the occasional home improvement project. I know it is plenty of truck for the job- I considered a 1/2 ton, but for safety reasons, think the 3/4 ton is a better choice. However, is a 6 year old vehicle a bad choice? The mileage is low for a 2005, but is 68,000 too high to start with? (My trainer has a 2001 Chevy 3500 with 171000 miles, and she would like to replace it, but it has served her well until about 160000 miles). Thanks for any advice you can give me. This is my first truck purchase and I don't want to make a big mistake.

Edited by gryffin 2011-09-01 3:09 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-09-01 3:22 PM (#137168 - in reply to #137167)
Subject: RE: Buying a used truck - too old or ok?

Veteran

Two years ago I purchased an exceptionally clean 1995 GMC 1 ton dually with 30K miles. I have been very happy with it - no problems at all. I find I use it more than I ever expected - I purchased it mainly to pull my 2H w/LQ. Have a good mechanic check it out thoroughly. Nice, clean used trucks are hard to find but worth it.
muleygirl
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2011-09-01 4:33 PM (#137173 - in reply to #137167)

I pull a very similar big Exiss straight load with a 1992 3/4 Ton Dodge Cummins Diesel. I don't know how big the engine is in yours, but as long as it is in good repair, and has enough horsepower to do the job, I wouldn't worry about it. In my book, that is a new truck : ) However, I used to have a 3/4 ton Dodge Gas truck that I sold, because it didn't have enough guts, and felt like it was struggling up hills with 2 horses in tow. It had a 360 gas engine in it.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-09-01 9:44 PM (#137180 - in reply to #137167)

Expert

Originally written by gryffin on 2011-09-01 3:07 PM

I'm considering a 2005 GMC Sierra XD Extended cab (with factory tow package) to haul my new 2H Hawk w/DR. It has the V8 gas engine, just under 68000 miles and is very clean inside and out. It had only one owner. It's priced right where Edmunds says it should be. I've never bought a used vehicle, but since it's a second vehicle, I don't feel that I can justify paying top dollar for a new vehicle. Having said that, I don't want to be stupid and go with something too cheap. I plan to use the truck only for towing 1-2 horses (maybe 2x per month, mostly under 2 hours each way, though 1-2 times per year, it will go on a trip that is 12-15 hours each way), occasionally for winter driving, and the occasional home improvement project. I know it is plenty of truck for the job- I considered a 1/2 ton, but for safety reasons, think the 3/4 ton is a better choice. However, is a 6 year old vehicle a bad choice? The mileage is low for a 2005, but is 68,000 too high to start with? (My trainer has a 2001 Chevy 3500 with 171000 miles, and she would like to replace it, but it has served her well until about 160000 miles). Thanks for any advice you can give me. This is my first truck purchase and I don't want to make a big mistake.
68K means you are coming into time that all the miscellaneous engine parts start to break...starter, alternator, power steering pump...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-09-02 12:33 AM (#137182 - in reply to #137167)

Expert

Whenever you purchase a used vehicle, you can expect to have to spend some initial money to bring it to an excellent function. How much you will spend will depend on the mileage and how well it was maintained. Because you will be saving almost half of its new cost, the repairs will be affordable when compared to the price of a new truck.

If properly maintained, most modern drive trains are trouble free for at least a couple of hundred thousand miles. Depending on the type of transmission and its usage, the transmission may last half or even equal that estimate.

As Paul stated, the accessories will start to wear. In my experience, most have lasted well into the 150K mileage region. With aprox 60K miles, you can expect brakes, tires, battery and possibly suspension items including shocks. All of the fluids should be changed and upgrading to synthetics will ensure a longer trouble free, mechanical lifespan.

Your best friend right now, is a competent mechanic that you will pay to have him appraise the condition of the truck. If it were properly maintained, you may not have any major repairs for the next several years. Making payments that are a fraction of a new truck's cost is a welcomed experience. The least expensive ownership of any vehicle, is the ownership of it after it is paid off. Most vehicles can be properly maintained for the equivalent cost of only one or two monthly payments a year.

I have purchased many used vehicles, trailers and items over the years. Their savings have allowed me to own items that I could not have afforded other wise. If this truck is properly optioned for the usage you anticipate, and it is mechanically sound, yes, I would endorse its purchase.

Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-09-02 11:01 AM (#137191 - in reply to #137167)

Regular

I went through the same situation a couple years ago.  I bought new mainly because most of the 3/4-1 ton trucks I looked at were used hard.  Most of the bigger trucks round here are "farm trucks", and used and towed hard.  I was also getting ready to haul out west over the summer.  I put very few miles on the truck, about 7500 a year, and figured the new one would last me that much longer, warranty, etc.  Went with more of a "stripped down" new. 

Like my dad told me, those first 68,000 miles are going to be the best miles in that truck's life.  Do you want to pay the extra to use them yourself, or let someone else use them first?

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-09-02 11:10 AM (#137192 - in reply to #137167)

Expert

The other thing to check, depending if your area is in the snow belt...was the truck used as a PLOW TRUCK!!!...if it was...you WILL BE replacing the transmission in your ownership cycle...
gryffin
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2011-09-04 1:07 PM (#137226 - in reply to #137167)

New User

Thanks for all the input. This particular truck fell through- I did some research on the dealer and the feedback was very bad. I decided to pass and keep looking.I've seen a few things out there, but still have questions- I'll post them in a new topic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)