Can anyone help with ideas to prevent poison ivy in horses? A lot of people think horses cannot get it, but after riding in the hoosier national forest both of my horses broke out itching and in a few hours had the weepy liquid. Has anyone else had this problem?
Posted 2011-08-31 5:32 PM (#137153 - in reply to #137148) Subject: RE: poison ivy
Horses eat the ivies with no problem. They have no problem with them.
I agree it could be nettles, seed ticks or mites. Any of these would cause your problem.
Nettles can be real nasty. A good scrubing with soap, water and a disinfectant, followed by a good soothing cream of some kind.
Seed ticks or mites are very hard to see with the naked eye, especially after they have dug in. Seed Ticks or mites, a good scrubing with water, a disinfectant and powdered Tide laundry detergent. Liguid Tide or other laundry detergents we've tried do not work. Follow that with a good rub down with a stiff brush(one stiff enough to remove the dead ticks or mites) then a soothing cream of some kind.
If it is nettles, you need to recognize that nasty weed and stay out of them. It is most likly either ticks or mites, because a horse that gets into nettles will normally have a hissy fit when they get in them.
Ticks or mites will normally take a few hours to have these symptoms show up. It is after they dig in, you see what you are describing.
Posted 2011-09-01 8:29 AM (#137163 - in reply to #137160) Subject: RE: poison ivy
Just about any insecticide will kill either. Pyrethrin is a good one. Most insecticides will take some time to kill them. They are not as quick as powdered Tide. Also, if they are dug in, you may have to do some scrubbing to get anything down to them.
Since ivermectrin is a poison, I'm sure it will work also, but that is one expensive method.
Posted 2011-09-01 9:26 AM (#137164 - in reply to #137148) Subject: RE: poison ivy
Location: Edinburgh, IN
Thanks for all your help, I had washed them with dawn when we where camping and have put on blue lotion, they are not itching anymore and the weeping has stopped. I am going to spray their legs with the bug block(purple bottle), someone said it was really good to stop bugs like ticks and fleas but not so good with flies, I will take flies over these nasty ticks anytime. thanks again.
Posted 2011-09-01 7:42 PM (#137176 - in reply to #137148) Subject: RE: poison ivy
Location: novinger, mo
To prevent or kill seed ticks, sprinkle your horses legs with Sevin garden dust before and after your ride. It is safe, is used on vegetables and considered non toxic for vertebrates. It is labeled for dogs, too. Those seed ticks/turkey mites are nasty and drive the horses crazy.
The ivermectin will kill whatever they have on them but will not prevent a reinfestation.
Posted 2011-09-06 8:50 PM (#137295 - in reply to #137148) Subject: RE: poison ivy
The use of Sevin dust is one of those grey area. It is almost like DDT, for years it was considered safe, then oooops, it's not so safe. I do know the dust, itself, is very toxic and not something you, or your horse, want to inhale.
Since any of the Pyrethrin products work, and it's recommended for use on horse, why re-invent the wheel.