'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Talk to me about slant load mangers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-02 8:05 AM
9 replies, 6951 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

srigs1
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2011-08-29 10:20 PM (#137116)
Subject: Talk to me about slant load mangers

starting the search for a 3 horse GN with LQ for hauling to shows. Hauling a single horse, but he is a big 17 hand Huntseater. Ive looked at both 7ft and 8ft wide trailers. I see alot of 8footers with the side mangers..I like the idea of the extra storage but it looks too cramped inside...what are your thoughts on these? I will be buying a three horse with a stud panel on first stall for extra storage and of course the rear tack...

Pros and cons to mangers? love them or hate them? Thanks for your help!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-08-29 10:39 PM (#137117 - in reply to #137116)
Subject: RE: Talk to me about slant load mangers

Regular

Love mangers. I think that with an 8 wide, you should have no trouble at all. The mangers are under their neck...if anything, it gives them something to brace on rather than smashing their heads on the side of the trailer in turns and stops.
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-08-29 10:40 PM (#137118 - in reply to #137116)

Regular

personally I'm not a fan of solid mangers. they limit the horses ability to get his front legs in front of his chest, which to my mind limits his ability to balance if neccessary. it also means that the horse cant drop his head below the level of the solid manger floor, neccessary for him to clear his airway..

lots of people love them for the extra storage they provide, so I guess its a matter of whats important to you...

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-08-30 8:09 AM (#137123 - in reply to #137116)

Elite Veteran

You have opened a rather involved topic here. I think a search of past threads may be interesting also. But a thought or two-
In an 8' wide trailer, there will be an inside fender that the manger covers up. In fact, an 8'W trailer without mangers can be dicey because the horse climbs up on the fender and falls if it isn't specially shaped to discourage this. And even then, it will always protrude into the horse area.

On the manger itself, there are differing widths. One may be 12" deep, the others may be 18"-24" or more to accomodate a generator. So be aware not all mangers are created equal. And yes, they are great for a horse to brace their chest against in hard traffic.

As a dealer for many years, I can tell you an 8'W LQ without mangers is, shall we say, "very unique". I can also tell you that a 17H long bodied huntseat horse needs some special considerations in a slant load. So please, tread carefully that you don't end up with a trailer that doesn't work for you, and because it is "very unique" doesn't work for anyone else either.
Boo's Mom
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-08-30 8:34 AM (#137124 - in reply to #137123)

Personally, I love the extra storage of mangers and a place to put my horse's hay. Like the previous poster stated, not all mangers are the same. The mangers in my day trailer are not very wide/deep and really only take up the empty space under my horse's head and neck. With a 17 hand horse, I would advise you not to even consider anything less than 7'6" tall. Your horse will need the extra headroom. You definitely need 8' wide. My horse is only 15.3, but long-bodied, and she only fits comfortably in the last stall of a 7' wide slant trailer, with or without mangers. You may want to look for a trailer with Warmblood size stalls.
Chickshunt2
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-08-30 10:27 AM (#137126 - in reply to #137116)

Having had big horses most of my life I too have had to the play humm what size will game. My current horse is 18.2 hands and 2200 lbs. Yes that's right it's not a typo. He is a big ol draft horse. I have hauled him in many trailers as until last month I did not own my own. So, lessons I learned:1. In a slant load with mangers always load the big guy into whatever stall does NOT have the wheel wells. This at least give him someplace to put his rear feet and be able to take a step or two if needed for balancing himself while hauling.2. Look for a trailer that either has a removable center post, no center post or a fold in rear tack wall. It really sucks trying to convince a horse that he is going to fit through some of the smaller openings that solid post type offer. Also I've had my horse rush to get on once he heard his blanket rubbing on the wall and post of the trailer, not a good habit!3. If your thinking about mangers just for the extra space your better off just getting a larger dressing room or installing some cabinets in the 1st stall that you're not planing on using. But this only works if your still left with a stall without the wheel wells in them. Most horses wont back up and step on them but depending on how high they are they hit the horse right at the hock or just below. A really easy way to tell if a trailer is going to be big enough for your horse is to stand your horse square and measure from 1 inch in front of his front hooves to 1 inch behind his rears, write that number down. Now ask your horse to take one step forward and re measure but measure from the now out of line front( 1" in front of the hoof) to the rear that is still in the org. placement, write down the number.( 1" behind the hoof). ask your horse to stand square again and now ask him to take one step backwards and re measure. Now take the square number and subtract it from both the forward step and rear step numbers. the difference should be pretty close between both steps but take the difference from whichever step is the largest and add it to the square number. That is what I call my horses "footprint" when you're looking at trailers take a tape measure with you, stand in a stall with the dividers closed and measure the floor space..is there enough room for your horse to be able to take at least one step forward and back? If not that trailer is too small. IMO I wouldn't buy a trailer that didn't allow for at least a step and a half either way but my horses do not like feeling "packed" in. 4. If you want someplace to put some hay then get the small diamond/slow feed hay nets and use them in the trailer. I love this thing! The openings in them are to small for a horse to get a hoof in and when hung right do not hang low enough for say a shoe corner to snag on should a horse paw.5. Measure the stall width! Some trailers have very skinny stalls! I personally love featherlites "big horse" trailer set up. 50" stalls! But most warmblood trailers are 39-46" so check them!

Edited by Chickshunt2 2011-08-30 10:30 AM
muleygirl
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2011-09-01 4:48 PM (#137174 - in reply to #137116)

Everyone makes very valid points, you need to measure the divider of any trailer you are looking at, and realize that unless it is long enough, you are expecting your horse to stand with his nose in the corner. I used to have a "Warmblood" sized slant trailer, but the stall length was only 8'6", which was too cramped for my big guys. I ended up getting a straight load with 10' stall length. You don't gain anything if there are wheel wells inside the trailer, unless you only use the stalls without them. It seems a lot of the manufacturers call things Warmblood, if they are 7'6" in height, but pay no attention to stall length or width. Or they give you a width measurement on the wall, which is worthless information, not across the stall width.
Chickshunt2
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-09-02 5:00 AM (#137184 - in reply to #137116)

aother reason for my love of the featherlite "big horse" trailer, The stalls are very long! I'd have to measure again but I believe they are 11 feet long! Very nice for the big horse.
srigs1
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2011-09-02 7:44 AM (#137186 - in reply to #137116)
Subject: RE: Talk to me about slant load mangers Update and another question about brands

thank you everyone for the replies!! I appreciate it!  I have decided on an 8ft with no mangers,48 inch stalls and angled for extra length as well, adding some footage to the horse box. and 7"6 hiigh of course.

I am getting a removable stud panel in front stall and full length airflow stock panel on top divider so I will have the first stall for a nice big midtack..dont think I will regret not having the mangers.

Thanks again everyone!

p.s So far I am leaning toward an Elite..however I would like to price another brand...any suggestions???

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2011-09-02 8:05 AM (#137188 - in reply to #137116)

Elite Veteran

I'd buy an Elite. Unless there was a Hart dealer much closer to me. Both companies can build you a trailer just like you want that you'll be proud of forever.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)