'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
heaves

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-08-18 11:23 AM
9 replies, 5719 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-08-02 8:54 AM (#136357)
Subject: heaves

Regular

Anihist or Cough Free.............I can get the Anihist locally but I would have to order the Cough Free and have it shipped. Anybody out there used either or....would appreciate any info

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-08-02 1:11 PM (#136384 - in reply to #136357)
Subject: RE: heaves

Elite Veteran

I've used the Cough-Free for over 10 years. Old horse is heevy and this works great! I mainly use it in the summer time when the ground gets dusty. It smells funny, so when I first started using it I mixed with some Apple Sauce in a large syringe and drenched the horse. He now eats it in his mix of senior and alfalfa.

If you wet it with your grain, your horse may eat. Or if he/she is the picky type, might have to do the drench for awhile.

It does work really fast provided your horse does not have other respitory issues going on.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-08-02 10:54 PM (#136406 - in reply to #136357)

Ventpulmin is the best. Tri hist went to the controlled substance list with the abuse of it by the meth heads. Seems ,they like to break into barns to get it but dont give Banamine or Bute a second look!
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-08-03 11:39 PM (#136444 - in reply to #136357)

Elite Veteran

I have used the anihist for months .. although for my TWH's continuing summer itch/ rash from Hell.. Although it is currently looking MUCH better, I don't know that I can thank the anihist for it.
Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-08-04 8:58 AM (#136447 - in reply to #136357)

Regular

Thanks guys........I talked to a friend that started his old gelding on the cough free last week and he could tell the difference in just a few days. I feel really bad for my mare, the coughing started last spring and my vet blamed it on being so dry? She was on steroids all summer. Now this year it's not so dry I've had plenty of rain (go figure). Now it not as much coughing but her breathing is pretty bad. bummer and she is only 10.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-08-13 5:37 PM (#136678 - in reply to #136447)

Elite Veteran

How is your mare doing now?
Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-08-15 12:02 PM (#136715 - in reply to #136357)

Regular

Thanks Ponytammy for asking, been using the cough free for about a week now, gave her the 2 scoops for 5 days and then 1 scoop like the directions say.....  She isn't coughing as bad as last year but her breathing was worse this year. Hubby thinks that her breathing is a lot better....She just loves finding the dustiest spot in the pasture and roll can't see anything but a dust cloud........How long do you give it doesn't say on the bucket?

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-08-16 12:18 PM (#136737 - in reply to #136715)

Elite Veteran

Duration depends on the type of allergy your horse has and the environment. Stalled horses that have issues with hay dust and shavings may need it year round. If you stall, I'd wet the hay down and try to find the cleanest shavings... or go to newspaper.

For pasture settings- just until the irritant is no longer in the environment. For me, it's the dusty summer ground so I feed it only in the summer months until around Novemeber when the rain and snow comes on. He can't eat hay so I have to soak a flake for him and feed lots of chopped hay, so I don't have an issue in the winter.

Have you been able to find the cause of his heaves? Some horses have an allergy to a weed or other type of plant that is specific to the time of year. Kiinda like humans with spring or fall allergies.

Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-08-17 11:25 AM (#136760 - in reply to #136357)

Regular

Had the vet out last summer when it first showed up. Blamed it on the dusty dry weather we were having. It's not as bad this year for sure and I didn't want to put her on steriods again all summer so I have not had the vet out. She is on about a 5 acre pasture,I only bring her in for a couple hours in the afternoon just to feed and check um out so I don't think its the stall. She is also a little on the porky side so I'm sure that doesn't help?(haven't been riding her cause of the heat). Since she is only 10 I really would like to try and find out what could possibly be causing it. Thinking when the vet comes out to do coggins I will see what she suggests. Have you guys ever had one get better or do they usually get worse as they age?
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-08-18 11:23 AM (#136783 - in reply to #136760)

Elite Veteran

10 years old is pretty young still. My issue with my old guy didn't start until he was around 19 (28 now). Lower immune system as they age.

I just started looking into other herbal/natural practices to increase the well being of the horse. Obviously the steriods did not help the issue, only masked it.

For a good read, check out Pat Coleby's book on Natural Horsecare. I used to think the natural stuff was hooey, but since I got sheep last year and the usual medicated treatments such as chemical wormers were not working with my flock, I started using natural methods on them. And I have seen great improvement in fleece and health. Still need to work on the increasing their restistance to worms through the correct mineral mix, but I am convinced now that some of the old natual methods and herabls in the correct amounts are effective in the total care of our horses and other animals.

So hopefully, if you can increase the immune system and overall health, your horse may improve and not need any additional commercial medications to help with the allergies.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)