'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
featherlite aluminum floor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-21 11:03 PM
3 replies, 13957 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jenn68
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-21 1:40 PM (#133297)
Subject: featherlite aluminum floor

New User

I have been reading this forum regarding repairing aluminum trailer floors.
I have a 2001 Featherlite 4 horse GN with LQ,, just bought within last 10 days. We checked everything out with a fine toothed comb,, and were going to check the floor also,, but it had shavings, & mats down,, so didn't do it. Dumb move!!!
When we got home and took mats out,,noticed that there are about fifteen 1/2" sized holes through the floor,,spread throughout the floor down the middle and curb side & some pitting also. The floor feels strong,, and we have hauled the horses in it, before we took the mats out. We cleaned the floor with muratic acid,,& I am going to fill the holes with JB weld. We were going to weld a .100 piece of aluminum over the majority of the worst spots,, but are worried that if there is any moisture between the 2 pieces it will speed up the corrosion of the original floor. The plan was to paint the floor with a liquid bed liner product after floor was patched.
Now I am wondering,, should I just fill the holes & paint with liquid bed liner?? I'm confused!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jenn68
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-21 8:04 PM (#133311 - in reply to #133297)
Subject: RE: featherlite aluminum floor

New User

Does anyone have any experiance with puttin an aluminum patch on an aluminum floor?? Will appreciate any comments. Thanks
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-21 10:38 PM (#133317 - in reply to #133297)

Expert

If the holes are less than a dime in diameter, JB Weld will work to fill them. The holes  will have to have the edges mechanically cleaned of corrosion. If they are small, simply run a drill bit through the hole. If they are larger, a rat tail file will easily abrade the sides. Feathering the surface larger than the bottom, as in a countersink, will give the JBW a better purchase. Leave the surface slightly proud of the flooring, and when it dries, it may end up flush.

For larger holes, welding is the only permant repair that should be attempted. The holes should have all the edges that are weakened and corroded, removed until good metal is found. Some welders can fill with the wire on smaller holes, patches will be required on larger areas. Some manufacturers use .125" extruded materials, 6xxx series. Try to match the patches with the same series.

When the patches are welded into place, spot clean the repaired area with Muriatic acid by rigorous scrubbing. When all the patches are installed, apply the bed liner material.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-21 11:03 PM (#133322 - in reply to #133297)

Expert

I was asked in a PM about how to patch many holes in a floor. ( 15) This may be applicable to other owners as well.

Do not paint the floor before any repairs are attempted. The aluminum has to be clean to weld.

The butt area of the flooring is the most common place to find corrosion. If the holes are localised to a smaller area, I would not install a whole 4x8 sheet of aluminum. The holes have to be first filled/welded to prevent any moisture from entering underneath and being trapped between the two surfaces.

If the many holes are localised near to where the horses' stand, it would be prudent to install a doubler to reinforce the weakened area. The doubler only has to extend past the repair area by a few inches on each side. Some manufacturers use .125" 6xxx series extruded aluminum for the flooring. It would be wise to use the same for the doubler. A continuous weld will have to be used around the doubler's perimeter, completely sealing the new aluminum. If any urine were to enter between, both layers would quickly be destroyed.

Once the repairs are completed, rigorously scrub the areas with muriatic acid and flush with water. Once everything is dry, apply the bed liner material.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)