'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
So I bought into the Vetericyn hype...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-08-09 4:05 AM
30 replies, 18668 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-30 11:46 AM (#132364)
Subject: So I bought into the Vetericyn hype...

Extreme Veteran

Thanks to the RFD infomercial and friends' tales of positive personal experience, I bought a bottle of Vetericyn.

Has anybody used it? Good results, bad results, no results?

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on this miracle holy water....

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-03-30 12:06 PM (#132368 - in reply to #132364)
Subject: RE: So I bought into the Vetericyn hype...

Elite Veteran

I also bought Vetricyn... lots of it. IT IS MIRACLE WATER!! When my mare was kicked in the stifle (fracturing her patella) and suffered a very deep gash, I quickly cleansed the area and sprayed Vetricyn on the wound, Over the next three weeks,I allowed it to drain until it closed in nicely. Of course, I cleaned it twice or more daily. Now, the hair growth is covering a wicked scar... We plan to have the bone fragment removed within the next couple of weeks.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-03-31 1:38 AM (#132405 - in reply to #132364)

Elite Veteran

I bought some last year for my TWH's recurring rain rot.. my vet says it is a weak concentration of clorox/water. I did not buy a second bottle. I didn't see any different results with it than with the other stuff I've used. If anyone has any ideas for treatment of rain rot.. I'm all ears. This is my second horse to have this year after year. My first one, a rocky gelding, I finally had to sell before he died of perpetual allergic response.. The lady in Ca who bought him said he never itched from day 1 after he arrived... I've got my TWH mare on an antihistamine feed supplement, and bathe her with an antifungal shampoo 2X/wk and try to sray her daily. She is not itching as bad due to the antihistamine, but the bald spots have spread to cover her neck, spreading back to her withers and shoulders. Sometimes her skin is smooth @ the area and sometimes it is whelped up @ the spots. Her tail skin is thickened and extremely itchy, just like my gelding's was. I scrub it well and cleaned in between her teats because it was dirty and apparently itched her.... I am at my wits end with this.. If I can get her cleared up, I will try to sell her and will never buy another horse while I live in this @#&*+*&%$#@ area. My rocky mare has had no trouble with this in the 8 years I've owned her (knock on wood).. .. Sorry grnmachine, I didn't mean to hijack your post.. my apologies.. I'm just incredibly frustrated..
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 5:33 AM (#132407 - in reply to #132364)

Extreme Veteran

My geriatric horse has recurring problems with rain rot as well--right in the top line of his spine. I was hoping that the Vetericyn would take care of it. I have used Fung-away spray with good results, but think it is just bleach water (thats what it smells like anyway), as well.

I'm sure you know whats best for your horses. However, I would think the bathing 2x a week would be having an opposite effect. ?

Is there something on your pasture that is causing the horses allergies?

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2011-03-31 6:43 AM (#132411 - in reply to #132364)

Veteran

I looked up the ingredients in Vetericyn and it really just is basically bleach and water.

Judy
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-03-31 6:51 AM (#132412 - in reply to #132364)

Extreme Veteran

For the rain rot problem, I have had success with a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. It sounds harsh but my horses did not seem to mind it. I both sprayed it on and wiped with wet cloth and just poured it into my hand and applied. It really worked well for me. Having said that, I did not have a long term problem though and once the above solution cleared the rain rot up, I have not had a re-occurance. Sure hope you find something that works for you and your horse.
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-03-31 9:06 AM (#132422 - in reply to #132364)

Regular

on vetericyn....

just to be clear, it is NOT a solution of bleach and water. Bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite and is highly toxic and caustic. it is a good disinfectant because it kills everything it touches (which is why we use it extensively in the lab). it is very very basic in terms of pH (like bleach left on metal will etch it). you can use bleach to santize drinking water, but its at a rate of a couple drops per half gallon. more is toxic.

Vetericyn (and the human version microcyn) are a solution of "oxychlorine" compounds. specifically the negative ion of chlorine is bound to some proprietary oxygen containing compound, rendering it pH neutral (good when you're putting it on skin). in addition to being bacteriacidal in its own right, it apparently also induces a host mediated immune response which can help enhance healing. Hydrogen Peroxide is another type of oxidative disinfectant  but that one is NOT non-toxic in its own right!!

if you're a science dork like me you can read more here:

http://www.oculusis.com/canada/is/

Now, I'm not saying that a good dose of clean soap (hibiclense is a nice gentle but effective antibacterial soap...its what we use when we do surgeries) and clean water with sunshine and fresh air wont do the same thing as Vetericyn. (hint...along with bleach we use UV light to kill pathogens in the lab. good old sunlight is one of the best things out there! and its free!) but please dont think that if you dilute some chlorox in water it will be anything like Vetericyn (and in fact, I'd be hesitant to use diluted bleach on open wounds at all, just like I wouldnt put chlorox on MY skin, even diluted)

if your eyes glazed over from the science speak, now you know how I feel when you talk about mechanical stuff ;)

Are we there yet
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-03-31 10:38 PM (#132470 - in reply to #132405)

So what have you used on your TWH's rain rot? We live in the PNW and we get lots of rain.
If our horses get rain rot ,we bathe with an antifungal shampoo, making sure it gets down to the skin, then let it sit for about 5 min, then rinse and dry. Drying is the important part of all this. Then we use (depending on severity) the yellow listerine & water 50/50 in a spray bottle, covering all troublesome areas. We apply this about 3 times/day. In extreme cases we go for the big guns...believe it or not..jock itch cream or spray. That really works!! The important thing is that your horse has to stay dry for it to heal, otherwise you are fighting an unending battle. If you don't have someplace dry(stall), do you have a waterproof (not water resistant) blanket or sheet? Good luck!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-03-31 11:20 PM (#132476 - in reply to #132470)

Expert

I use the generic equivilent of Phisohex which used to be sold OTC.I get it at the drugstore.It works very well on my horses that develop any rain rot over the winter.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2011-04-01 8:05 AM (#132484 - in reply to #132364)

Extreme Veteran

Love the vetericyn, my husband used it on his gelding after a very bad cut and within 4 days the amount of healing was incredible and there is no visible scar.

For rain rot we use MTG, the sulfur in it is really great for taking care of rain rot.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-04-01 11:02 AM (#132489 - in reply to #132364)

Extreme Veteran

Personally I think Vetericyn hype is correct. I tried the Pinkeye stuff for the cows and the other stuff for dog hot spots, a wound, and some horse stuff. I think it is a huge rip off. VERY overpriced and VERY expensive. I didnt see any big miracle healing that plain ole water and a good cleansing soap or less expensive appropriate medications would not do.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-04-01 12:11 PM (#132492 - in reply to #132364)

Extreme Veteran

I wonder why there are such mixed feelings...its almost as if you love it and feel it is the best thing or you hate it and feel like you were misled or ripped off..Is it the price that gets people? I took me a while to justify its purchase price to myself.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2011-04-01 12:40 PM (#132494 - in reply to #132364)

Veteran

This is for the one with rainrot. The phisohex, listerine both will work. it may not completely knock it out depending on how wide spread is the rainrot. Betadine soap or betadine solution will work wonders on the rain rot. Rub it into the affectesd areas and do not wash off. Do not pick at the scabs or crusted areas. You should see significant improvement the next day. You will need to repeat this about every other day unitl the rain rot is gone.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-04-01 12:53 PM (#132495 - in reply to #132364)

Vetrycin is a very good product. My hubby, (a  DVM), healed a horse with pigeon fever by simple cleansing the wound with it it every day for about 2 weeks. Less than 2 1/2 months later, there is barely a scar at all!
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2011-04-01 8:07 PM (#132514 - in reply to #132364)

Veteran

Ornerie, thanks for the clarification. Everyone's experience seems different with using the product. I suppose it might be a good thing to have on hand. Pretty pricy, though.

Judy
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-04-02 9:43 AM (#132530 - in reply to #132514)

Regular

the clinical data for the human version does say it works better than traditional saline/antibiotics, and enough better for the FDA to have given it approval for humans (as a general rule, the FDA wont grant approval to something unless its "better than whats out there already). but for the price, more traditional treatments might prove efficacious enough for most folks....

I have a vet appt (yay for spring shots!) on wed, I think I'll ask my vet what he thinks. I hope I amuse him when I ask for actual scientific data regarding stuff and use words like "loading dose vs therapeutic dose" and "pharmacodynamics" :)

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-04-02 11:36 AM (#132534 - in reply to #132364)

Veteran

Is the horse on pasture?  What weeds do you have around the area you keep the horse? Lots of weeds -pollins float in the air-   I would get tests to find out if your dealing with bacteria, fungus or allergies before I spent money on meds that way you can get a specific. Any type of allergic sensitivity can compromise the immune system and open up the door to other issues. Good Luck. 

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2011-04-02 4:46 PM (#132544 - in reply to #132514)

Veteran

Judy-  don't buy any-- I'll have some with me when I see you next--
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2011-04-03 12:07 PM (#132572 - in reply to #132544)

Veteran

Great. Bring some along. I am working on a shopping list!

Judy

Edited by j&j 2011-04-03 12:08 PM
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-04-07 6:48 AM (#132710 - in reply to #132364)

Expert

Vetericyn is what the vet,Dr.Pallone,gave us yesterday when we took my horse to see him.Only,he gave us the VET formula which is different than the one off of the shelf.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-04-07 4:07 PM (#132743 - in reply to #132470)

Elite Veteran

Sorry, I've been away from my laptop.. my son's been in the hospital. I have used most of the antifungal products out there.. Like I said, this is my second year with this problem on this mare.. Our seasons are very long, so there is plenty of time to compare results. As to brands: I've used eqyss, fungaway (some results, but stopped working after a point), vetericin (sp?), and mane&tail (I thinK) and several others whose bottle I can see in my mind's eye, but cant put a name to..I even tried captan fungicide for plants on a tip from a friend of a friend.. mixed 2Tb with 2 gal water per instructions and sponged it on her.. that burned the hell out of her and I ended up bathing her again the next day. Currently I am using MTG (mane tail groom) and although it stinks, I am desperate. Eve's neck looks much better.. although motheaten still, there are no raised whelps around the spots and the spots look as if they are trying to fill in.. She is also on Anihist feed additive. Since I've been with my son in the hosp, I haven't done anything to her past her last application of MTG last week .. She looks much smoother-coated and I've only seen her rubbing her tail and throat latch rather than her neck,shoulders,chest,face,ears,etc,etc,etc. (her glands are swollen by the way; due to her continual allergic reaction).. I just bought some more anihist today and I hope we will soon get this under control.. I am past the point of endurance dealing with this stuff on a continual basis. And yes, she had a steroid shot late last year, which helped slow the itching, but did nothing for the lesions .. even with me still treating them..It at least got us to the winter.. such as it was.. I am seeing better results with the anihist than with the kenalog shot..
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-04-07 4:27 PM (#132745 - in reply to #132364)

Expert

Have not found the Vetericyn to work on rain rot, only cuts and open wounds.  WOW did not know about the human version we've been using the regular stuff on ourself and works great.

One of our 14 dogs jumped the fence and hung a leg which needed stiches 20 of them.  But they kept pulling apart, so vet sent home some cream stuff and after 3 days and no difference it went to the trash and out came the mighty Vetericyn and with in 15 days 2 times per day you can't even tell it was there!

Try Cowboy Crud Buster (bought ours form KO Trading Co. in Ft.Worth) for the rain rot, we use this on skin infections on horses and dogs.

ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-04-07 11:47 PM (#132764 - in reply to #132743)

Regular

I've had really good luck with MTG on mild scratches and rain rot... the sulfur kills the bugs, the oil give a waterproof barrier and it actually seems to soothe the itch.

the bacon smell is just a bonus ;)

apparently some guys use it for their own *ahem* hair issues too ;)

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-04-08 1:51 PM (#132774 - in reply to #132364)

Expert

Eclipse wound wash has worked well here.....You can get it from Valley Vet Supply...
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-04-09 11:13 AM (#132810 - in reply to #132774)

Expert

You are right,Eclipse is a superior product that was first developed for human use in decubitus ulcer treatment.I really like it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)