'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
boots on gaited horses?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-06 3:42 PM
10 replies, 10982 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-02-27 6:55 AM (#130844)
Subject: boots on gaited horses?

Extreme Veteran

would hoof boots (renagades, easy boots, etc) make any difference in the way a gaited horses moves on the trail?  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-27 9:57 AM (#130850 - in reply to #130844)
Subject: RE: boots on gaited horses?

Extreme Veteran

With some horses NOT AT ALL, BUT, with most YES.

Consider yourself, if you were a person that always went barefoot, everywhere you went, then you put on a pair of rubber boots, how well are you going move?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-27 12:36 PM (#130852 - in reply to #130844)

Expert

I've used the EasyBoots and have not noticed the horses gaiting different. I mean I do see a difference between being bare and having boots on as far as willingness to travel straight up the middle of the trail, or to charge ahead over rocky ground.  But that has to do with protecting the hoof and not the weight of a boot.  Most of the newer boots, ( like the Easyboot Glove) don't weigh any more than a steel shoe.   If you have a boot that does add some weight, it would be like adding chains to horse for training.

If I'm riding on sandy or softer footing. My horses gait the same.

I tried the boots for 4 years. They work fine for slower or straight ahead work.  Just walking a trail.  But I lost, tore, broke buckles etc when we did anything more ambitious. Any cutting or laterial work will pop the boots off and then they tear the gaiters.  I just got tired of spending $50 everytime I took my herd out for a ride. With 4 horses, One would loose a boot,  Tear a gaiter, break a buckle,  something almost every ride.  It was costing me more to replace or rebuild my boots than to just pay the farrier to shoe them.  If your long term goal is to promote better hoofs by not shoeing, And you are willing to pay the price. The boots will do the job and your horse will gait just fine.

For me, I'm moving back toward a combination.  I shoe for the hunting season when I'm asking my horses to work extra hard.  I'm staying barefoot for the other 10 months  of the year and only putting boots on when we ride multiple days in a row. I truely believe my horses can go anywhere barefoot for a single day. The challenge is the second or third day of rough work. They will still go, but they start walking the edge of the trail. This is when the boots become a viable option.  Put them on and the horses will trael just like they have shoes.

HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2011-02-27 1:09 PM (#130854 - in reply to #130844)

I don't think they do.  I was told my MFT wouldn't gait without booting all 4 for balance when I purcased her. She was false. I have no problem gaiting with only 2 on the front. Boots can be a pain...clips breaking..mud...loosing them..etc. I have had renegades & easy boots. I recommend putting gravel in your horses turn out/watering area to harden the hooves. The first year you may have to boot more often but, try to leave them unbooted as much as possible. As previously mentioned its the 2nd & 3rd day that are harder. Sometimes I just bring them with if they start tiptoeing I put them on.  After 3 years I know only boot on large 4 day rides with huge rocks on big hills. I love both my gaited girls.  Good Luck :)

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2011-02-27 4:35 PM (#130860 - in reply to #130844)

Extreme Veteran

My dressage horse has renagades we use when he's barefoot for trail riding if the footing is bad.  I've never had a problem w/ them and it dosn't make any difference in his movement.  I'm asking strictly about using them for  a gaited horse = would boots make the horse gait better or worse or no difference?   this is a horse who has excellent feet,   normally only needs shoes once or twice/yr when we ride in real rocky places. 

RACKING HOSS
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2011-02-27 9:00 PM (#130866 - in reply to #130844)

It will depend on the horse. I have ten Racking horses in  the barn we show all  the time. No two horses work the same. I also trail ride.    
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-03-03 10:47 AM (#131075 - in reply to #130844)

Elite Veteran

My thought would be no.. once the horse gets used to the sensation of having boots on, then he should gait as normal. Boots themselves are not really heavy enough to change a gait from weight. As I mentioned, your horse might step differently at first until he gets used to the sensation. Are you sure you need them? We returned from west TX a few days ago and My mare barefooted all over that place. We were the only ones barefoot, and although we caught some flak initially, we didn't hear anything else about it when we went day after day with no soreness and mostly led the pack due to my little mare liking to be out front.. .. To be perfectly truthful, I thought she MIGHT be getting a little tender on day 5, so opted out of the night ride, since we had done an all day ride on that same day.. However, she never limped, short-stepped or looked ouchy.. I just noticed her "give" a little on a step or two a couple of times during that long ride, but no more than any of the other (shod) horses or mules..
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-03 1:07 PM (#131087 - in reply to #130844)

Extreme Veteran

Like stated, once they get used to it, it shouldn't affect the gait too much. However, we don't use anything. Its just easier...and being cheaper is just a bonus.

RidingaRocky--Same here. My wife and I used to catch a lot of grief about riding everywhere barefoot. We're the only ones out of a crew of about 10-12 horses that are barefoot. We rode 7 long days in mountains, rocks, and limited roads. Not another word was said. We've never had our horses shod. We ride in mountains, rocky terrain, etc and have NEVER had an ouchy issue. Our farrier always has positive comments on their hooves. IMO, our barefoot horse's hooves are healthier than our friend's shod horses. Theirs chip and crack really easily, ours hardly ever.

Wife rides a full rocky, I ride a rocky/walker cross. Both mares.  

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-03-04 9:27 AM (#131139 - in reply to #130844)

Elite Veteran

I think that Rockies may just genetically have good feet. My farrier comments every time he trims about how good Tamber's feet are.. i actually consulted with him at our last trim if I should shoe before the west TX ride. We decided that we could ride in Bandera,Tx barefoot (which we do every year as often as we can) then she should be fine in the western Tx area. I had a Rocky gelding years ago who had shelly feet and couldn't hold a shoe. Once barefoot, he toughened up and was riding in rocky Bandera with the best of them.. Now my TWH mare is completely a different story.....
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-03-04 12:46 PM (#131150 - in reply to #130844)

Extreme Veteran

It must be a rocky thing :)

The other horses we ride with all are shod walkers or standardbred/walker crosses and tend to chip up pretty good. A couple throw shoes like nobody's business.  

Our spotted walker has great feet and gets ridden in the same places barefoot. Our "paddock" area next the barn is gravel and wood chips. We train and practice gait transitions all on our gravel lane as well. Their hooves are tough as nails.

skylermom
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2011-03-06 3:42 PM (#131271 - in reply to #130844)

Regular

I sometimes ride my SSH with Easyboot Gloves on his front feet. He will still saddle rack with them, more smoothly as the day goes on, but we change back and forth from boots to barefoot depending on the number of days riding and the terrain.  They are a very convenient option for us.

Another thing you may want to try is "Durasole" topical for the hoof sole/frogs.  Great for toughening up their feet especially during rainy season.  I buy mine from Valley Vet.  A few drops per hoof will do the trick!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)